The BETTER Electric Vehicle..

I have yet to see where they have developed a tank that is practical that has enough capacity to handle the hydrogen needed for long range travel. If you know of such, please provide a link. Otherwise, without such a tank, we are exactly where we are with battery driven EV's.

Except for the fact that very little money has been expended on hydrogen research unlike the battery debacle. Given time hydrogen will absolutely supplant the current EV's with little trouble. Of course, there is allways the possibility that something even better will come along.

Just imagine what will happen when true visionaries are given the proper funding instead of diverting it to political pals and hacks.

Complete bullshit. I have watched the research there for over two decades. What has stalled it is the problem of storing the hydrogen in a reasonably safe manner.

I have yet to see where they have developed a tank that is practical that has enough capacity to handle the hydrogen needed for long range travel. If you know of such, please provide a link. Otherwise, without such a tank, we are exactly where we are with battery driven EV's.

Except for the fact that very little money has been expended on hydrogen research unlike the battery debacle. Given time hydrogen will absolutely supplant the current EV's with little trouble. Of course, there is allways the possibility that something even better will come along.

Just imagine what will happen when true visionaries are given the proper funding instead of diverting it to political pals and hacks.

Complete bullshit. I have watched the research there for over two decades. What has stalled it is the problem of storing the hydrogen in a reasonably safe manner.

I'll tell you what. Have the government give them 500 million and I'll bet you they would actually have something usable in 5 years...unlike Solyndra which went tits up after pissing away half a billion in one year.

When there is an actual monetary incentive to coming up with a better technology than the internal combustion engine, the market will provide it. The best and brightest aren't standing around waiting for grant money.....they don't need to.

Or they could just produce combustion engines that get the kind of mileage we know they can.

When there is an actual monetary incentive to coming up with a better technology than the internal combustion engine, the market will provide it. The best and brightest aren't standing around waiting for grant money.....they don't need to.

Or they could just produce combustion engines that get the kind of mileage we know they can.

So long as they aren't built on cafe standards which are causing tens of thousands of needless deaths and permanant injuries in the name of a few extra miles per gallon.

Well Shucks OldieRocks -- you haven't been looking have you? Over a dozen passenger vehicle models designed and introduced with collaborations right now between BMW and Toyota to have models out by 2015.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fuel_cell_vehicles

Not to mention FLEETS of city buses out tthere with fuel cells being powered from NAT GAS. The fuel tanks are not a problem for those nat gas buses and gas converted vehicles are they now?

I'm not surprised that engineers aren't worried about the same things that you are. The tank is not the biggest problem. You and Mammy are just all worked up because this diversion to better engineering wasn't in your "master plan"..

bmw_1_hydrogen_fuel_cell_engine.jpg

Last edited:

Storing GASOLINE in a reasonably safe manner probably would have ended Henry Ford's hopes for the Model T if you were around at the time..

No silly --- cost of the fuel cell is the problem.. Not the storage tanks. There are 100s of THOUSANDS of Nat gas vehicles out there with SAFE and EFFICIENT storage of gas energy.

I picked up an old Motor Trend in the doc's office today. Short article about how a home's roof-sized solar array can crank out enough power to keep an EV going throughout the year.

I picked up an old Motor Trend in the doc's office today. Short article about how a home's roof-sized solar array can crank out enough power to keep an EV going throughout the year.

I wonder what the author was smoking when he wrote that.

LOL. I should have ripped the article. It said you can put $16K worth of photo cells on your roof for half that with rebates and credits and such. Then charge your car from there.

LOL. I should have ripped the article. It said you can put $16K worth of photo cells on your roof for half that with rebates and credits and such. Then charge your car from there.

And that is absolutely true. I wonder if they bothered to figure out how loooooong it would take to accomplish though.:eusa_doh:

Nissan Leaf, battery capacity 24 Kilowatt-Hours

Northeast USA, 4 kwH/m^2/day of sunlight.

Current solar panel efficiency, around 15%. Call it 10%, after inefficiencies and conversion losses.

So, in the northeast USA, it would take 30 square meters of solar panels to half-charge the Nissan Leaf each day. On average. Panels, mounting, batteries, inverter, probably around $20k. Not cost effective at current price and efficiencies. But in the southwest where you have double the sunlight, it's getting close.

For the 1000th time. It's not about generating the electric. A home solar array can do it. The problem is the time and more importantly the inability of the vehicles to meet driver's needs. If they made one that did they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. All the other arguments are moot.

The C-Max Energi by Ford is very close to the goal. At 20 miles per charge, and 47/47 on gasoline, this hybrid would meet most people's needs for daily commutes, and be able to do long trips with no problems.

As the batteries increase in power density, we will see the EV side of such hybrids become increasingly the primary motive power of the vehicle.

As for the cost of a solar system, many can be had for about a dollar a watt, add on $3000 for an inverter and wiring, and you have a 5 kW system for under 10K.

For the 1000th time. It's not about generating the electric. A home solar array can do it. The problem is the time and more importantly the inability of the vehicles to meet driver's needs. If they made one that did they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. All the other arguments are moot.

Time? In a grid parallel system you put kW's on the webb during the day, and take them off at night. At the end of the month, if you use more than you put on, you pay. If you use less, you have a credit for the next month.

And that is absolutely true. I wonder if they bothered to figure out how loooooong it would take to accomplish though.:eusa_doh:

Really? Of course, some of us are used to doing things for ourselves. And others, just can't do much at all.

Grid tie Solar Power Systems - Grid tie Solar Panel Systems

Really? Of course, some of us are used to doing things for ourselves. And others, just can't do much at all.

Grid tie Solar Power Systems - Grid tie Solar Panel Systems

I've had a solar system for 26 years....you?

Forum List

Back