The best way to poach eggs ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
We have various gizmos but none that are really world class.

Poached eggs on toast is my ultimate comfort food.

2 eggs
2 slices of toast
a side of baked beans
all drizzled with some hot peri peri sauce.

Mrs T has taken to putting some salt and vinegar in a boiling saucepan and lobbing the eggs in when it is bubbling.

It works ok for her but when I do it things go wrong. I end up with hard centres and a white map of Australia.

What do you do to get perfect poached eggs ?

Depends on the elevation. At sea level I like to boil eggs for 6 minutes. That mostly solidifies the yoke but leaves a tiny bit of runnyness. That's how I like them. People who like runny eggs go closer to 4 minutes.

Don't lob them into a pot. Gently lower them into the boiling water with a spoon. After boiling run them under cold water so they can be peeled without poaching your fingers.

This is one dish I don't get fancy with on the spices. Salt and pepper is just right. Sourdough makes a good toast pairing, or English muffin.

Beverage pairing: Why not go full Britannia and serve with tea? PG Tips or something not too overbearing.

81kUbCIFfUL._SL1500_.jpg

Depends on the elevation. At sea level I like to boil eggs for 6 minutes. That mostly solidifies the yoke but leaves a tiny bit of runnyness. That's how I like them. People who like runny eggs go closer to 4 minutes.

Don't lob them into a pot. Gently lower them into the boiling water with a spoon. After boiling run them under cold water so they can be peeled without poaching your fingers.

This is one dish I don't get fancy with on the spices. Salt and pepper is just right. Sourdough makes a good toast pairing, or English muffin.

Beverage pairing: Why not go full Britannia and serve with tea? PG Tips or something not too overbearing.
So you poach them in the shells ?
I havent tried that at all. I just crack the shell and lob them in.
I will give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for that.

Yanno...............you REALLY ought to watch the Food Channel sometime and check out whatever Alton Brown is doing, because he has really neat tips for doing all sorts of stuff.

For poached eggs? Cut both the top and bottom out of a tuna can and use that to keep your eggs together while they cook. The can is tall enough to allow them to poach, and also keep them together while cooking.

You're welcome. Now you don't need to go out and spend 100 bucks on some pan that you can only use for poaching eggs.

Yanno...............you REALLY ought to watch the Food Channel sometime and check out whatever Alton Brown is doing, because he has really neat tips for doing all sorts of stuff.

For poached eggs? Cut both the top and bottom out of a tuna can and use that to keep your eggs together while they cook. The can is tall enough to allow them to poach, and also keep them together while cooking.

You're welcome. Now you don't need to go out and spend 100 bucks on some pan that you can only use for poaching eggs.
I think I can picture it.
Does the water just go up to the height of the can ?

I think I can picture it.
Does the water just go up to the height of the can ?

If I remember correctly, it's just a touch over halfway up the can. And yeah, you can either reuse them later for cookies, save them for later poached eggs, or throw them away and wait until you eat some more tuna to poach your next bunch of eggs.

Alton Brown likes to keep things in his kitchen that he can multi task with. He even turned an ammo box into a pretty decent smoker once.

2 eggs
2 slices of toast
a side of baked beans

Mrs T has taken to putting some salt and vinegar in a boiling saucepan and lobbing the eggs in when it is bubbling.

It works ok for her but when I do it things go wrong. I end up with hard centres and a white map of Australia.

Here you go;
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nIKkzRQOkdw

I think you'll find thats called a boiled egg, boyo :eusa_shifty:

2 eggs
2 slices of toast
a side of baked beans

Vinegar is important.

SWIRL your water and put the egg in GENTLY in the center of the swirl. This keeps the whites from feathering. Then don't over cook them.

Pardon me. I was thinking soft-boiled eggs were the same thing as poached. Well, at least I learned something today.

ABS don't they taste kinda fishy if you use a tuna can?? Yucko :laugh:

Pardon me. I was thinking soft-boiled eggs were the same thing as poached. Well, at least I learned something today.
No worries. I was just ribbing Tommy.

Vinegar is important.

SWIRL your water and put the egg in GENTLY in the center of the swirl. This keeps the whites from feathering. Then don't over cook them.

Yep - that's how I do it too. I crack the eggs into a cup or small bowl first and gently slide them into a couple of inches of swirling water just before it reaches the boiling point - when it starts to bubble on the bottom.

2 eggs
2 slices of toast
a side of baked beans

Vinegar is important.

Yes Mrs T swirls the water, thats about the time when I start to panic and it all falls apart. What does the vinegar do ?

I never have had them to do right when I did them straight in water.

Forum List

Back