The Best of All Games

midcan5

liberal / progressive
Jun 4, 2007
America
Hope this wasn't posted.

When I was young I loved baseball, I have some basal cell today to prove it. We would play till too dark to see the ball. Connie Mack was just a bus and el ride and bleachers cost as low as 25 cents. Today, I have lost interest even though I still enjoy playing, and carry gloves in the car. Salaries and cost are just too absurd. But one of my favorite liberal political philosophers wrote a letter worth sharing.

"Rawls’s retelling of his conversation with Kalven can be taken as evidence of his remarkable powers of recall. Or it might be read as a tribute to the generosity of his spirit—his well-known inclination to give credit to others for his own ideas. In either event, his letter is part of a tradition—of spending Saturdays writing long, leisurely letters—that has all but vanished in the age of emails." Owen Fiss

From John Rawls:

"First: the rules of the game are in equilibrium: that is, from the start, the diamond was made just the right size, the pitcher’s mound just the right distance from home plate, etc., and this makes possible the marvelous plays, such as the double play. The physical layout of the game is perfectly adjusted to the human skills it is meant to display and to call into graceful exercise. Whereas, basketball, e.g., is constantly (or was then) adjusting its rules to get them in balance."

Boston Review — rawls.php

i am also an old fart who was once fascinated by the game
any competent player of that game acquired a life skill which is taught in few other ways:
situational awareness
one could not play the game well unless they knew - by anticipating in advance - what they would do in any given game scenario which might unfold
with the demise of the game, we also see a decline in the numbers of our population who possess strong situational awareness abilities

Professional Football, hands down. But I am afraid it could become such a big business that it devours itself. The game is being lost in the struggle to make a profit and to fill stadiums.

Forum List

Back