The best gun for home defense

You can theoritacally take out a deer with a stick, but I would still prefer the "right" firearm and caliber to do the job easier.

I always thought a deer's mortal enemy was a 2003 mazda being driven on a country road.

I've dropped many a deer with a .22.
The key is to keep your shots under fifty yards. And anyone who can shoot worth a shit can hit a quarter at fifty yards,which is more accuracy then you need.
Aim small,hit small.

the 22lr is illegal to use for deer out here

however that is what i use to put down either a cow or pig

that is heading off to the butcher

I haven't done it since I was youngster. And it is illegal in Texas as well.
But as a kid we didnt think twice about it. Hell,I broke a shitload of game laws as a kid,not out of malice or anything,we just never really thought about it. We were just hunting.

we had been raised to follow the game laws

dad pretty much pounded that into our heads

follow the game laws...in nc they take your weapons on top of it all

and good hunters are good examples of sport

yes they will here too

take your firearms possibly your vehicle

large fine in certain offences mandatory jail time

and loss of privilege to hunt for a period of time 1-3 years

the 22lr is illegal to use for deer out here

however that is what i use to put down either a cow or pig

that is heading off to the butcher

I haven't done it since I was youngster. And it is illegal in Texas as well.
But as a kid we didnt think twice about it. Hell,I broke a shitload of game laws as a kid,not out of malice or anything,we just never really thought about it. We were just hunting.

we had been raised to follow the game laws

dad pretty much pounded that into our heads

We pretty much did what we wanted in the woods. Back in those days game wardens were few and far between. I bet I didnt see my first game warden till I was in my early twenties. And with the Old man traveling due to the NBA schedule he wasnt around a lot of the time to make sure we did what we were supposed to do.
Once in the woods it was pretty much a free for all. But we did eat everything we shot.

The type of gun you'd want depends on you, the threats you face and what damage you'd want to do them or anythin in the "kill zone."

If I were an old feeble person, I'd want a small lightweight handgun.

If I lived where others are downrange I'd want projectiles that stayed in the bad guys or disinigrate in walls. .223 AR rounds are good for this, and so are buckshot rounds.

If I only want to frighten away or maybe only wound the intruders, I'd use a .22.

If I lived in hostile area ran by progressive liberals in the DA office and courts, then I would not use anything spectacular-looking. No military rifles, no high-tech guns, no shotguns with pistol grips---or so on. Any gun you use in your defense will often be confiscated, never to return. So anyone wanting to use your expensive, prized guns be warned.

I'm not a big expert on guns, as I only have 12 of them, but if I know my home was going to be attacked by multiple bad guys in a worse case senario, then I'd use an AR rifle with multiple mags and a 9 mm backup

Forum List

Back