The Best/First/All Concerts You Have Been To

First: Alice Donut and Butt Trumpet at Emos in Houston

Best: Roger Waters, Summer 1999 Tour, New Jersey

Most: Tied between Elliott Smith and Tool - 2 times each

Other concerts: Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Grandaddy, Neil Finn, Allman Bros, John Mayall, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Wire, Guided By Voices, GWAR, The Misfits, Primus, The Violent Femmes, Fishbone, Stone Temple Pilots

Last edited:
My first was the Beatles in 1964 at Red Rocks in Colorado.
The best was Woodstock 1969.
Another good one was Frank Zappa in Tucson around 82 or 83

Did I include Black Sabbath?
Anyhow-
A group of us drove to this show when we were in college.
Bert drank Mad Dog like it was lemonade. Then he ate a couple tabs of acid.
We practically carried him out of that show he was so fucked up.

Doobie Brothers- my friends wanted to go down to the floor section but I decided to stay put.
We agreed to meet up after the show. They never showed.
I drove around town and eventually went to the police station. Sure enough they got busted for smoking weed at the show. My brother and I bailed them out the next day.

Jethro Tull- It was my buddy's birthday so we all brought liquor to the party. He ended up puking his guts out in the 3rd row and to this day doesn't remember the whole night.

Canned Heat/Kansas/Rory Ghallager- before the lights went down, a couple guys stood up in the middle of the arena and unfurled a huge poster of a reefer. I'm looking at them- it's my little brother LOL.

Aerosmith/Blue Oyster Cult - someone throws a frisbee from the upper tier seats, it sails 200 yards, over the stage, and lands in a trash can.

Black Oak Arkansas- my date lights up a joint and sets another gal's hair on fire.

Flat tire, thrown piston rod, busted timing belt, traffic ticket etc.
And the beat goes on... :D

Oh yeah, I forgot Aerosmith.

And Nitty Gritty Dirt Band! They signed my kids' hats!

biggest regret:

a high school buddy of mine who worked part-time at the local top-40 radio station asked to borrow my copy of "Are You Experienced" to do a promo for a Jimi Hendrix concert in New Orleans...

he returned it to me with a coupla tracks fucked up...

he offered to give me a pair of tickets to the concert to make up for fucking up my album...

I was so pissed off that I refused, wanting to blow him off in the only way I could think of at the moment, and thinking I'd get to see Jimi another time...

meh... never did get to see Jimi in concert...

My biggest regret was Earth, Wind, and Fire who I had the chance to see when I lived in Pittsburgh. A buddy of mine and I would carpool and crank up EWF and sing and one day I saw that they were coming and went to him all excited and unfortunately as Fred (who was raised there) explained to me...where they were playing just wasn't a safe place for me to go so he got to go and I didn't. :mad:

Last edited:
First..... Alice Cooper, Welcome to my nightmare

Best... Kansas

Most.... Kansas 45 times

The Outlaws 12 times and the list goes om.

My first concert was at age 3 or 4 but because I was so young, my mom and me left ten minutes into the show because I couldn't take out loud the music was which was coming from the country band Sawyer Brown.

So far my most favorite experience would be my getting to see my most favorite singer, James Otto, in late January of last year because after the show just before I had to head for home one last picture of us together was taken and right after the flash went off, I heard him say "I love you." to me..........I just pray that James heard me say "I love you too." in return because sadly loud music was playing where we were and my voice isn't as loud as his. :( :( :(

God bless you and him and Sawyer Brown always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. My avatar and signature pictures are the shots of me and James on that very special night. :) :) :)

Last edited:
My first concert was Deep Purple at the Long Beach Arena in 1974 for there Burn tour. It was the David Coverdale version of the group. Although I preferred Ian Gillan, it was a good concert.

As far as the rest of the concerts in my life...

The Who - 5 times (once with Keith Moon)
Eric Clapton - 6 times
Led Zepellin - twice
Black Sabbath - twice
Emerson, Lake and Palmer - once
Yes - twice
Alvin Lee - twice
Almond Brothers - twice
Moody Blues - twice
Jeff Beck - once
Eagles - once
Chicago (with Terry Kath) - once
Santana - twice
Marshall Tucker Band - once
Charlie Daniels Band - once
Chili Peppers - once
Nirvana - once
J. Geils Band - 3 times
Greatful Dead - twice
Fleetwood Mac - once
Jefferson Starship - once
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - 5 times
The Blues Brothers - once
Pink Floyd - twice
Jethro Tull - 4 times
Oingo Boingo - once
Blackmore's Rainbow - once
Bob Dylan - once
ELO - once
Sammy Hagar and Eddie Money - once
Alice Cooper - once
Rolling Stones - once​

and, believe or not, Olivia Newton John, Let's get Physical tour
(Hey, back off! I was just trying to get laid. That's why I went. It was strictly guy stuff).

And out of all the concerts I saw, the best of the bunch, without a doubt, was Bruce Springsteen at the LA Sports Arena for his River tour. I took a friend of mine who was AT the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, so his bar was pretty high when it came to good concerts. Well, Bruce played about 2 solid hours that just jacked up the crowd and my buddy turned to me and said, "Good concert! Good concert!" Then Bruce goes over to the microphone and says, "We're gonna take a 15 minute break, then come back and blow the roof off this joint!" They played another 3 hours and it was just legendary.

Not too many for me...first was a relative's cover band opening for Fats Domino (good); same band opened for Neil Sedaka the next year (awful due to dismal sound mixing) Sha Na Na a year after that (pretty good).

In high school, had tickets for John Cougar Mellencamp, but the show was cancelled (I recall he, or maybe his gear and/or band, was stranded at the site of his last show by a snowstorm). I got a refund...don't know (or care)if they rescheduled because I had been dumped by the girl who had wanted to see Mellencamp.

Long hiatus, mostly due to working weird hours...then saw Kenny Rogers (Linda Davis opening) at Foxwoods, went with my mother for Mother's Day. (Pretty good...and it was his first public performance of Harder Cards.)

Saw Billy Joel (Boston Garden, great) in January 2006, Meat Loaf (Bank America Pavilion, Boston, pretty good) that summer...saw Billy & Elton John on their Face 2 Face tour at Gilette Stadium (Foxboro, MA)...that was spectacular! (It was a 4+ hour show!) Wanted to see Meat Loaf on his "Hang Cool Teddy Bear" tour, but couldn't get off work. :(

At the end of the 2007 Hot Rod Power Tour, Cherry Bomb put on a (free) concert for Power Tourers...Blue Oyster Cult at the Arkansas State Fairgrounds in Little Rock. Pretty good. The next year, the Tour featured a concert by a cover band of Cherry Bomb employees...surprisingly, they were superb! One of them (a woman) was an absolute dead ringer for John Fogerty on guitar.

My wife has been to many more...but many of them are people I can't stand. IIRC, she has seen Gloria Estefan (with or without Miami Sound Machine) about five times and Madonna a dozen times. (Most recently, last week at Boston Garden...also went to the Boston shows on her Confessions and Sticky And Sweet tours.)

I regret I won't be able to see three of my favorite acts live...one has retired, two are deceased. :(

Last edited:
If you get a chance see Rob Zombie. great concert.

I actually got to hang out with White Zombie right before they made it big.
They would come thru Houston alot back in those days, and we would meet up with them out in LA when I was part of the production for a band named SPUNK.

Damn they put on a Hell of a show!!

Favorite show of all time was Pink Floyd in 94...

I am interested in what groups people have seen in the categories below and how they rate the performance. My list is below.

My first concert was Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour. Saw them again on the Hysteria tour.

The best concert I saw was, believe it or not, Iron Maiden. I didn't even go to see them. I went to see Guns and Roses who were opening for Maiden. GnR was absolutely terrible. Maiden was so tight, clean, energetic, powerful....they completely blew me away.

My favorite "claim to fame" concerts I have seen: Paul McCartney at the Seattle Kingdome, and Stevie Ray Vaughan in George, Washington on his final tour.

Group I have seen the most: Kiss (14 times)

Concert that surprised me most: Stevie Wonder (way better than I expected)

Group I have not yet seen but am dying to: Eagles

Other concerts of note I have been to: Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones (twice), Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Disturbed, AC/DC, Judas Priest (twice), System of a Down, Scorpions (twice), Van Halen, Motley Crue, Lacuna Coil, Aerosmith, Avenged Sevenfold, Ozzy Osbourne, Billy Squier, others.

best I ever saw was Janis Joplin... effin' incredible how bright she burned...

I am interested in what groups people have seen in the categories below and how they rate the performance. My list is below.

My first concert was Def Leppard on the Pyromania tour. Saw them again on the Hysteria tour.

The best concert I saw was, believe it or not, Iron Maiden. I didn't even go to see them. I went to see Guns and Roses who were opening for Maiden. GnR was absolutely terrible. Maiden was so tight, clean, energetic, powerful....they completely blew me away.

My favorite "claim to fame" concerts I have seen: Paul McCartney at the Seattle Kingdome, and Stevie Ray Vaughan in George, Washington on his final tour.

Group I have seen the most: Kiss (14 times)

Concert that surprised me most: Stevie Wonder (way better than I expected)

Group I have not yet seen but am dying to: Eagles

Other concerts of note I have been to: Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones (twice), Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Disturbed, AC/DC, Judas Priest (twice), System of a Down, Scorpions (twice), Van Halen, Motley Crue, Lacuna Coil, Aerosmith, Avenged Sevenfold, Ozzy Osbourne, Billy Squier, others.

Iron Maiden is hands down the best concert I've been to. I've seen them 3 times, and every time they were unbelievable. And they've still got it after all these years. And very jealous I never got to see SRV :(. Anyways notable concerts I've been to are:

Alice Cooper
Black Label Society
Bob Dylan
Brad Paisley
Cheap Trick
David Gilmour
Down
Dream Theater
George Thorogood & The Destroyers
Heart (VERY underrated band)
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Megadeth
Metallica
Ozzy Osbourne
Robert Plant
Rush
Slayer
Trans Siberian Orchestra
Van Halen (w/both Roth and Hagar)

Worst concert I've ever been to? The Who. Not really fair to judge because they played for literally about 30 second and left the stage...:(

Biggest regret: Had the chance to see Heaven and Hell (aka-Black Sabbath w/Ronnie James Dio), but decided to pass on it and catch them next time-never had the chance again.

honorable mention: I was supposed to meet Dimebag Darrell a few weeks after he died to work on a photoshoot (I live down the road from the HQ of Dean Guitars, and knew people who worked there).

Last edited:
^^^ I've seen Brad Paisley five times and to me, he only get better every time! :) :) :)

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. My last time seeing him was in February of 2008.

Forum List

Back