~The Best Day Of Your Life~

Dabs

~Unpredictable~
May 13, 2011
~Tennessee~
What would you consider to be the best day of your life??
For me, it was when I watched my granddaughter being born, January 13, 2005.
I have 4 children, but all mine were born by C-section, and I was put totally asleep, so I never got to see them being born...they were a few hours old before I even got to hold them!
But when my Kaylea was due, her Mommy let me go into the delivery room with her- it was my son (the Daddy) and she was allowed 2 other people, and her Mom didn't like the sight of blood, so she let me go in.
I had never witnessed a natural childbirth, live, before.
I know Mommy was in pain, but when that baby started coming thru, omg, it was so precious and beautiful!!!
At first it was her head, then her shoulders, then she slithered on out ~LoL~
She was crying and wiggling, and she was the most beautiful thing I had seen in ages.
It was definitely one of my best days *smiles*- I was crying, tears of joy!
She weighed in at 9 pounds 2 ounces.
My Mother told me she looked just like me :)

I like to think the best day of my life is always yet to come. Give me something to look forward to.

That is indeed a nice thought!
I'd like to think the same, but just in case, I wanted to pick a day I was recalling being the best :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm. When I was leaving Houston, headed to Santiago, knowing I would never return.
Free at last.
That was before Nazipolitano hired the molesting squads...........another thing you morons let happen without saying a word.

Three of them actually. The days my sons were born.

That is nice!
It was a nice day when I had each of my 4 children too, but like I said, I was totally coma-ed out, so I didn't get to see their entrance, or hear their first cry...none of that.

Three of them actually. The days my sons were born.

That is nice!
It was a nice day when I had each of my 4 children too, but like I said, I was totally coma-ed out, so I didn't get to see their entrance, or hear their first cry...none of that.

That's really too bad.

We utilized Lamaze each time and it was a great experience from beginning of labor right on to each of them eventually popping out (although I doubt the Mrs. would describe the actual deliveries that way).

The best part for me was a different doctor for the last two who actually lets the dads, assuming no complications crop up, do the delivery...be the catcher so to speak. He was right over my shoulder observing and giving instructions when needed, so those were really incredible experiences. But for all three I cut the umbilical cords and then gave the little dudes their first baths.

Like a few others, the birth of my 3 sons in on the top of the list! Other than that, when my divorce decree was final!! I was finally free from that crazy woman after 11 loooong years! :D

Well, since I'm not married and I have no children (nor will I likely ever have either).... This is going to be long; you've been warned

Probably the best day of my life to date was the day I was inducted into the Order of the Silver Crescent.

For those who are not member of the Society for Creative Anachronism's East Kingdom, let me give you some background. I'm part of a 45+ year old medieval Recreation group called the Society for Creative Anachronism. We attempt to recreate medieval European history pre-17th Century. We've got about 35,000 members world-wide split into 21 Kingdoms which cover the US, Canada, most of the Pacific Rim, Europe, and parts of the Middle East, Russia, etc.... The East Kingdom covers the Northeast US and Eastern Canada.

Part of the enjoyment of the SCA is that it's a very honor-based society and one where people tend to get a fair amount of recognition for their achievements, regardless of whether they're involved in combat, the arts & sciences, service, etc... We have awards for many different things. In the East Kingdom we have several Orders of High Merit.... the Order of Tyger's Combatant (for prowess in rattan combat); the Order of the Maunch (for prowess in the Arts & Sciences); the Order of the Golden Rapier (for prowess in Fencing); the Order of the Sagitarius (for prowess in Archery); and the Order of the Silver Crescent (for Service to the Kingdom). Receiving any of these awards is a matter of being nominated, then being voted on by the current members of the Order, and being approved by Their Majesties (the current King & Queen - who rule in 6 month incriments determined by a Tournament of Arms). To be inducted into any of these Orders is quite an honor. You don't know it's going to happen until you're in Their Majesties Court and you're called into Their Presence to be inducted.

Back in the fall of 2007, I should have known something was going on. I kept getting asked what Royal Progress' (events Their Majesties are in attendance at) I would be attending that fall and winter. The only one I was intending to attend was Market Day at Birka, in January. I didn't think anything of it, since that sort of conversation is not abnormal among those of us who fight and who help out at events.

In November my roommates suggested that we invite my mother to join us at Birka. She'd never seen a MAJOR event, and since it's an inside event at a hotel in Manchester, NH it would be a good chance for her to see things without having to potentially deal with the weather. I suggested it to my mom and she thought it was a great idea. Of course I had no idea that my roommates had already told her what was going to happen there.

Late January comes and I keep getting these emails double-checking that I'm intending to be at the event. I confirmed each one, still not catching on that something was amiss. I also receive the news that a good friend of mine, Lord Quintus, is going to be inducted into the Order of the Silver Crescent at the event, so I really ought to be at Royal Court. Great, I think. Mom's never seen court. This will be a chance for her to see something that doesn't happen at every Court.

The day of the event comes, and I spend most of the day taking my mother around, introducing her to people, and showing off what it is the Society is all about. As time approaches for Royal Court, we make our way over to the ballroom where it's going to be held and find seats pretty close to the center aisle so she can see everything and I can explain who the different people involved are and what their roles in Court and in general are.

Their Majesties and Their Hignesses (the Prince and Princess) process in with their entourage and court starts. About 45 minute into the Court, they're done with most of the minor awards, recognitions, and the like. A Lady I know who has been very active in our Youth Combat events is called forward. The Herald (master of ceremonies) then announces that Their Majesties Order of the Silver Crescent should approach the Presence. Immediately she knows what's happening to her. Over 80 members of the Order stand up from their seats and approach the Royal Presence, either kneeling or sitting behind the Lady being inducted. Their Majesties say a few things about her service, the Scroll created for the occassion is read, and she is presented with a medallion signifying her membership in the order.

A brief interlude here to explain a couple things.... Medallions are often passed down from one person to another. A good friend will "give up" their medallion to the new inductee as a sign that they are pleased to see the new inductee enter the order. The Scrolls are masterful works of art, custom made for each inductee with words and artwork relevant to that individual. Often they have gold or silver leaf on them. These are items to be treasured for all time. Especially since you don't get them very often.

The Lady accepts the medallion and then is asked to step back amongst her new "Cousins" of the Order. The herald announces.... "Their Majesties request the presence of ...." and the next inductee comes forward, now knowing exactly what's happening.

Quintus was about the fourth or fifth inductee. After he was inducted I noticed that His Majesty, Andreas is talking to the Herald and changing the order of things, which is king of unusual. The Herald calls forward the former Baron and Baroness of one of our NY state groups and inducts them. I laugh and joke with my mother.... "Well, I'm safe from being called up now. They almost always induct people by their current 'rank' and they're both much higer than I am."

As the Herald goes to make the next announcement, His Majesty stops him. Andreas stands and moves to the center of the stage. "Before we call this next individual up here, I want to say a few words about them...." I'm shocked. It's VERY unusual for a King or Queen to comment on an inductee BEFORE they're brought into the presence. His Majesty goes on about how this individual is always working, taking time out from fighting to help at event, to do things for people, etc.... I'm beginning to wonder who this is. Finally he come to the phrase... "....I didn't know this individual real well until just recently. He fought with my troops at Pennsic this past year...." Now I'm REALLY interested because I fought with Andreas' Ulsterblichen Army at Pennic that year. "...He's a heck of a fighter and an even better person. I'll never forget his enthusiasm, one day on the field suggesting 'Let's go squish some Midrealmers'!" Oh crap. I'M the one who made that comment.

Andreas turns to the Herald and nods.... "Their Majesties REQUIRE the Presence of Lord Haraldr Orn." I'm stunned. The entire place practically EXPLODES in cheers. I slowly make my way up to the Presence, with my face in my hands, trying not to cry. I kneel down on the pillow in front of Andreas and Gabriella. They both look down at me and smile. "We're so glad that WE got to do this, Haraldr." Gabriella tells me. "Do I REALLY need to say anything else?" Andreas asks. I shake my head No. The scroll is read. It's been done by Master Harold von Auerbach. Hey, I didn't think Master Harold doesn't do scrolls anymore (he doesn't normally)? They ask for the medallion. It turns out one has been custom made for me.... BY MY ROOMMATE (without me ever knowing). It's made of annodized aluminum chainmaille and Andreas (a craftsman himself) is very impressed. They place it around my neck and Andreas pulls me up off my knees and he and Gabriella give me a massive hug.

Court is adjourned for 10 minutes to allow the entire Order to greet all 7 of us new inductees at the back of the hall. The words, the expressions of delight and the outpouring of friendship was amazing. People I've respected for YEARS telling me they thought this should have been done a long time ago. Friends squeezing me so hard I thought my head might pop off. Things I can't even explain to someone who doesn't understand the Society.

For the next two weeks I got emails of congratulations from members of the Order throughout the Kingdom. People APOLOGIZING that they couldn't be there for it in person. I later found out that there had almost been a fight over who was going to be allowed to give me their medallion before it was announced that there was one being custom made for me. At least SEVEN individuals had wanted to give me theirs.

It's a day I'll never forget, and probably will end up being the highlight of my SCA life.

I have plenty of good days and plenty of fun days. :D I cant put a finger on the best day. But ill let you know tomorrow though if that changes.

The first day! The day I was born was the best day in my life for without it there would not be any days.

As of right now i think the best day of my life was when i finished taking the bar. It felt so nice to forget all that information.

Forum List

Back