The Best College Football Team Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
1972 USC Trojans.

12-0 - whupped Ohio State 42-17 in the Rose Bowl.

Had players like Lynn Swann, Anthony Davis, Sam Bam Cunningham, Mike Rae and Pat Haden at QB,TE Charles Young, Richard (Batman) Wood - closet margin of victory 9 pts.

Newsweek in Dec 1972 : "Big, fast, supremely confident and talented at every position -some people are calling this team the best that has ever been coached."

CLose, but it was actually the 1971 Nebraska team.

Many consider the 1971 version of the Cornhuskers the best college football team ever, and we can't find any reason to disagree. The team averaged more than 39 points a game on offense, and surrendered only 8.2 points a game. Led by kick and punt returner par excellence Johnny Rodgers (who won the 1972 Heisman), the top-ranked Cornhuskers defeated No. 2 Oklahoma 35-31 on Thanksgiving Day, in what some have called the "Game of the Century." They rounded out their 13-0 season with a 38-6 drubbing of Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

ESPN.com - Page2 - Best college football teams of all time

CLose, but it was actually the 1971 Nebraska team.

Many consider the 1971 version of the Cornhuskers the best college football team ever, and we can't find any reason to disagree. The team averaged more than 39 points a game on offense, and surrendered only 8.2 points a game. Led by kick and punt returner par excellence Johnny Rodgers (who won the 1972 Heisman), the top-ranked Cornhuskers defeated No. 2 Oklahoma 35-31 on Thanksgiving Day, in what some have called the "Game of the Century." They rounded out their 13-0 season with a 38-6 drubbing of Alabama in the Orange Bowl.

ESPN.com - Page2 - Best college football teams of all time

1971 Nebraska was pretty good - can recall the 71 Nebraska -Oklahoma matchup.

Will still go with the 72 Trojans - scary good............................................................

I was born in 71. Once in a great while ESPN Classic plays those old games.

Best team I ever seen , or at least that I can remember was 2005 USC. 9 first round NFL picks. WOW

Frank Leahy (one of best coaches ever) at haltime of 1971 Notre Dame -USC game -when USC was up 28-7 at halftime - coulndnt fathom how USC had lost 4 games. Gushed all over their talent.

I would haved liked to have seen the1972 USC Trojans against the 1972 Miami Dolphins (very slow and unathltetic team) could time them with a sundial

I would haved liked to have seen the1972 USC Trojans against the 1972 Miami Dolphins (very slow and unathltetic team) could time them with a sundial

Ridiculous. The worst NFL team in the history of the league would beat the ever lasting shit out of the best college all star team of all time.

So - how come in the College All star - game back in the 1960s - the Col lege All-Stars actually won some games against the NFL champs ie Green Bay Packers?

I think the NFL champs won most of the games - but they were competitive...............

So - how come in the College All star - game back in the 1960s - the Col lege All-Stars actually won some games against the NFL champs ie Green Bay Packers?

I think the NFL champs won most of the games - but they were competitive...............

50 years ago? Really?

I never thought the 1972 Dolphins were that good anyway.

If theRaiders hadnt been beaten by theImmaculate Reception they probably would hav e gone on to win the Super Bowl.

1968 Ohio State team. (beat USC in da Rose)

tOSU.jpg

The 1968 Ohio State Buckeyes football team is considered one of the strongest in OSU history, fielding 11 All-Americans and six first-round NFL draft picks. With quarterback Rex Kern and running back Jim Otis leading a powerful OSU offense and Jack Tatum on defense, Woody Hayes' Buckeyes capped an undefeated season with a dominating 50–14 victory over archrival Michigan and a come-from-behind 27–16 victory over Southern California in the 1969 Rose Bowl to secure the national title.[1] This was also the first year the Buckeye players were awarded Buckeye pride stickers for their helmets, each one a reward for a good play. OSU was the first team to have such a program.

1968 Ohio State Buckeyes football team - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1967 UCLA team would have beat most NBA teams that season and advanced into the playoffs.

I was rooting for Ohio State - after they fell behind USC after OJ ripped off a 80 yard TD.

A good team.

Actaully wasn't Purdue with Leroy Keyes theBig 10 favoritite in 1968? Whupped Notre Dame in their place.

And then OSU beat the boilers

Last edited:
The LA Times mades jokes about Woody Hayes and Ohio State after the 42-17 whuppazzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.