The best argument against global warming

What kills me in this debate is how the right has such a knee-jerk reaction to people who are trying to do what's best for the planet.

Yes, I get that you think it's a radical plot to take over the government. Yes, there are wacky, flaky, hippie people who are fit to be tied.

The thing that baffles me most is right wing Americans (because this seems to happen only in the US) who think climate change science is a 'liberal' issue.

Folks, climate change is not political - it is scientific.

Which is why Most CONSERVATIVE parties around the world are very engaged in trying to save the planet - check out what the UK conservative party have to say on climate change - are they pinkos?

The Conservative Party | Policy | Where we stand | Climate Change and Energy

I'd hazard a guess that most right-wing Americans would find ALL Europeans (even the conservative ones) to be liberal. That is to say that the entire way of thinking is based on what the Dems here think. It's just that their conservatives are less liberal than their liberals.

I'd hazard a guess that most right-wing Americans would find ALL Europeans (even the conservative ones) to be liberal. That is to say that the entire way of thinking is based on what the Dems here think. It's just that their conservatives are less liberal than their liberals.

Which would make American conservatives the far-right of the far-right...

What kills me in this debate is how the right has such a knee-jerk reaction to people who are trying to do what's best for the planet.

Yes, I get that you think it's a radical plot to take over the government. Yes, there are wacky, flaky, hippie people who are fit to be tied.

But the visceral reaction to people just trying to do the right thing...it's progressed to the point to where most of what I hear on local radio (in multiple states) is basically "we can trash the planet and the planet will absorb it all"

Really? Seriously? You're willing to cut off your nose to spite your face? It's deplorable.

What kills me is environmental kooks that think they know what's best for the planet.

How do you know this? Do you talk to the planet?

Man has inhabited this planet for a nano-second compared to how long the planet has existed.

Maybe what's best for the planet is a temperature of 200 degrees and a methane atmosphere.

What kills me is environmental kooks that think they know what's best for the planet.

No, we use science, and a lot of it is VERY simple.

For instance, we know that if ocean pH changes and/or the ocean warms, coral dies.

We know that if ocean level rise, increased salinity in soil will destroy a lot of plant life close to the coast.

We know that in global mean temperatures rise, diseases like malaria and yellow fever will spread every further north.

Not all the changes will be negative, and many of the changes we can't predict, but if you are uncomfortable with the idea of your kids dying of dengue fever, you should take this seriously.

No, we use science, and a lot of it is VERY simple.

For instance, we know that if ocean pH changes and/or the ocean warms, coral dies.

We know that if ocean level rise, increased salinity in soil will destroy a lot of plant life close to the coast.

We know that in global mean temperatures rise, diseases like malaria and yellow fever will spread every further north.

Not all the changes will be negative, and many of the changes we can't predict, but if you are uncomfortable with the idea of your kids dying of dengue fever, you should take this seriously.

0bama fear trooper alert!

to actually believe that after they have been on this planet--only "the blink of an eye" in earth terms can somehow control the climate of this planet is absolutely astounding to me.-
--------------------------------

What's astounding about it? We can already destroy the world several times over. To think we couldn't do the same to the climate is astounding in its naivete, if it were not for the total disregard of the science by the deniers and their total belief that AGW is a political controversy.

1. BS and thats the reality. one will shrink and another will grow and it changes all the time..

2. Again BS there is no real evidence to support that beyond speculation..

3. More BS that is shown again and again to be either completely false or variable year to year.

4. More nonsense some parts collapsed while some expanded. During the whole last half of the 90's the antarctic ice was expanding overall.

5. more speculative nonsense that has been shown to be variable year to year..

What I have learned from gslack is that the bread and butter of scientific debating is simply to declare your opponents arguing points to be BS and nonsense, and then you win.

Is that roughly how it works?

I remember you... You are the one who acts like a child when he is wrong.... And look above and we see it..... Thanks junior now let the adults talk...

So the answer is yes then I take it?

What I have learned from gslack is that the bread and butter of scientific debating is simply to declare your opponents arguing points to be BS and nonsense, and then you win.

Is that roughly how it works?

I remember you... You are the one who acts like a child when he is wrong.... And look above and we see it..... Thanks junior now let the adults talk...

So the answer is yes then I take it?

The answer is no. We show you the facts and then you default to was that peer reviewed by my peer monkeys? We get pounded on about the Arctic, until, oh, look the ice is making a strong comeback. Just a desperate attempt to make the model fit your views. Sad really, corupting all those nice sciency guys.

rocks
No, that is not what was stated. It involved a lot more than just skin cancer. And we did remove the primary agent that was causing the problem.

You are most definately the one that is wrong here. Apparently you are woefully ignorant of the whole of science.

Nice, insults instead of facts. The 'science' of CFC failed to explain how they are capable of interacting with the upper atmosphere when they are quite a bit heaver than air. It also stipulated that CFC would take upwards of 100 YEARS to begin to see the benefits of cutting usage because CFC do not interact with the ozone directly. They are a catalyst for the reaction and are not used up after the changes have taken place. The so called 'science' also failed to take into account natural phenomena (in this case volcanoes) that happen to be the likely cause of the problem in the first place.

Yes we did eliminate the use of CFC at great cost and it likely did NOTHING for the ozone layer.
Complete bullshit. 2000 to 2010 was the warmest decade on record.
Once again, lack of anything real. I see a lot of reports on both sides but it seems that temperatures did decline in the last decade but sea temperatures rose. The quarralation(sp?) between the two may very well be why both sides seem to be having issues agreeing on this. It is also noteworthy that there may very well have been warmer periods in the last 2000 years and that global temperatures really are quite LOW when looking at the geological history regardless of the CO2 levels. At the moment the earth is relatively cool.
Geological terms? Do you know what the P-T extinction was? Do you know what the PETM was? Do a little Goddamned research before you start throwing around terms.

There have been a number of times in geological past that there were natural very quick spikes in GHGs. And in each of those times, there was an extinction event. Just look up the two mentioned.

Just because we are the cause of the very rapid increase in GHGs this time will not exempt us from the laws of physics.
You should do the same. There have been MANY instances in geological times that CO2 levels were far higher than current levels and many times they do not correlate with mass extinctions.
More stupid talking points. It is not going to "destroy the planet". What will happen is a climatic change that will adversly affect agriculture in a world rapidly approaching 8 billion people. And when that occurs, the population will decline. Unpleasantly.
Those are GW talking points. They continually talk about destroying the planet. BTW, CO2 AND heat are both good for agriculture. That is not the problem here.
As has been pointed out, the problem is the rate of change in a very crowded world.
And that may be true but that statement is a means and not an end. What are the real world implications of that rate of change? That is what I am interested in and what you and others have failed to provide.

Please do not imbed your responses in quotes from me. It makes the reading and response far more difficult.

After all that there is no responses of the science but a few on melting ice. Melting ice does not tell us that CO2 emissions are the problem or that this is a man made occurrence. To me, the real problem lies in the acidity of the ocean as that may well be a problem if lower life on the food chain is threatened by it but I cannot seem to find any real facts on this other than it is changing. Again, where are the saturation figures, will the ocean slow the absorption of CO2 as levels rise and what is the ideal acidity of the ocean. At this point the ocean is still a base and has a long way to go before hitting the neutral level of 7. Most sources I have read are looking 90 years into the future, a complete waste of time if you ask me. We are having troubles predicting what is going to happen next year and we really have no idea what is going to occur in the next century.

konradv
What's astounding about it? We can already destroy the world several times over. To think we couldn't do the same to the climate is astounding in its naivete, if it were not for the total disregard of the science by the deniers and their total belief that AGW is a political controversy.
That's the rub, we could in no way destroy the world. What we could do is destroy ourselves many times over. The planet on the other hand will shrug us off like a bad dream. Of course, I am not interested in the planet. I am quite interested in not destroying ourselves though

rocks
No, that is not what was stated. It involved a lot more than just skin cancer. And we did remove the primary agent that was causing the problem.

You are most definately the one that is wrong here. Apparently you are woefully ignorant of the whole of science.

Nice, insults instead of facts. The 'science' of CFC failed to explain how they are capable of interacting with the upper atmosphere when they are quite a bit heaver than air.

Ozone itself is heavier than air as well, maybe you'd like to explain to us how it ends up in the upper atmosphere, smarty pants.

I have posted this before and not received any intelligent response before but I will try again,

The major problem I have with climate change is the way supporters push the theory with a few facts and absolutely no real evidence. Mostly I hear "your an idiot if you deny global warming" - "global warming is a fact" - "everyone agrees that global warming is happening" - "all scientists (or intelligent people) agree that global warming is occurring and is a major problem" or some other iteration of the preceding. The fact is that none of that is true in the slightest and here we are on this thread arguing about a few emails that do not matter in the least when applied to the grater question. The fact that some scientists were cooking data really does not matter (or surprise me). It just reminds us that skepticism is GOOD. What matters is whether or not global warming is actually occurring and how we fit in to that equation.

No, as pointed out by the House of Commons Committee on Science and Technology, the data was not cooked, in fact, the worst you could state about Phil Jones and the University of East Anglia was that they acted as humans when unjustly attacked by the political hacks.

Professor Phil Jones, the climate scientist at the centre of the scandal over the leak of sensitive emails from a university computer, has been largely exonerated by a powerful cross-party committee of MPs who said his scientific reputation remains intact.

There was no evidence that Professor Jones, head of the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia (UEA), deliberately withheld or manipulated data in order to support the idea that global warming was real and that it was influenced by human activities, according to a report by the Commons Science and Technology Committee
Climate change scandal: MPs exonerate professor - Climate Change, Environment - The Independent

Every single Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and every major University has policy statement that AGW is real, and a clear and present danger.

The GW scare tactics remind me of the ozone scare tactics that were used some 15 years ago. The above statements were used in the exact same way and 'everyone' agreed that the damage to the ozone layer was a product of humans. I remember being told we were all going to die of skin cancer by the age of 30 if steps were not taken immediately because there would be NO ozone layer and it would take hundreds of years for the damage to be repaired by nature. As it turns out, 'everyone' was wrong and we are still here.

Crutzen, Paul J. -

(born 1933): Dutch meteorologist and a world expert on the chemical interactions of trace gases and trace components in the atmosphere. He is originator of a viable theory for the causes of rapid ozone loss in the Antarctic winter and was involved in international negotiations regarding the restriction of the use of CFC’s (Chloroflourocarbons) that destroy ozone. In 1980, he became director of the Department of Atmospheric Chemistry at the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Mainz. In 1995 Crutzen, M.J. Molina and F.S. Rowland together won the Nobel Prize with for their work on the depletion of the ozone layer

Calspace - Glossary of Terms -

Not only was the theory concerning CFC's correct, but there are international treaties concerning it's use in place. And the researchers won a Nobel with their work.

GW stinks of the same bullshit and corruption. Don't get me wrong, I am open to the idea but have yet to hear anything that pushes me into the 'we made this mess' boat. I just watched a national geographic that was claiming that 'the world plus 3' was essentially a barren wasteland of death. That is just insane and not helping the GW community on getting those of us that remain skeptical. This crap is always the same. Fear sells and pushes policy whilst reason and debate mean nothing. Points have been raised in this very thread and supporters are not addressing them.

Have you even bothered to read any real science on this issue? Because all you are doing is repeating shit talking points.

You want to debate the issue, post some science from a real scientist that gives evidence that AGW is not real.

Point I would like some answers to:

The temperature has been cooling for a decade. That point was ridiculed without the slightest attempt to address it. I am genuinely interested in this point as carbon emissions around the world have been increasing at an unprecedented rate. Given the feedback loop that GW theorists claim why is the earth cooling? the opposite should be true if the model is to be believed, temperatures should not only increase but be increasing faster.

Climate has changes before and will change again. Why are we stuck on the manmade carbon thing. Where is the evidence. I continually hear the faster than ever approach but we have no real data in this aria. In geological terms, we cannot see major temperature changes in the timescales that humans have even been able to measuring temperatures. How do we reconcile that with the dead set notion that it must be human CO2 emissions.

Geological terms? Do you know what the P-T extinction was? Do you know what the PETM was? Do a little Goddamned research before you start throwing around terms.

There have been a number of times in geological past that there were natural very quick spikes in GHGs. And in each of those times, there was an extinction event. Just look up the two mentioned.

Just because we are the cause of the very rapid increase in GHGs this time will not exempt us from the laws of physics.

Warmer temperatures are good for life in general. We know this is true. We are talking decimals of degrees here, not massive changes. Why would a few degrees higher destroy the planet? CO2 even directly helps plants and more plants help control CO2. Now, if this were put back as a deforestation issue as was brought up many years ago then I may be a little more inclined to agree but it is not.

More stupid talking points. It is not going to "destroy the planet". What will happen is a climatic change that will adversly affect agriculture in a world rapidly approaching 8 billion people. And when that occurs, the population will decline. Unpleasantly.

There have been several geological time periods where CO2 was HIGHER than it is now, by very large margins as a matter of fact (also brought up earlier but blown off). Why was the world okay at that point but is going to end now? It seems to me there was no problem then and there may not be much of a problem now.

As has been pointed out, the problem is the rate of change in a very crowded world.

Where is the science that quantifies the total impact. There have been several models put up and most of them were constructed to induce fear but none really show a story that is believable. This is the most important. If we establish the temperature IS rising AND it IS manmade AND it IS due to CO2 emissions (and that is a hefty charge) then we need to know what the impact is before doing anything. I have yet to see any impact that is not mere fear mongering and end of the world type rhetoric. Do you have real impact with facts to back them up?

Yes, from the geological record, here are impact facts from prior period of rapid GHG increases;
Methane catastrophe

As I understand it, nature releases far more carbon than man does. Magnitudes more in fact. Why is mans impact so radical then? If nature has been releasing and absorbing such large amounts of CO2 in the past what is it that makes the extra that man is releasing such a burden on the system that it cannot handle it?

You don't understand it at all. Nature cycles CO2. What we have been releasing is on top of that. We have gone from a normal of 280 ppm, to over 385 ppm. And, for CH4, we have gone from about 700 ppt to over 1800 ppt. And then we have the industrial GHGs, many of which are 20,000 times as effect of a GHG as CO2.

It is often stated that 450 ppm of CO2 is the tipping point. However, let us hope that is wrong, because when you add CH4 and the industrial GHGs in the equation, we are past that right now.

Yes, the CO2 that we are releasing is more than nature can handle without major changes taking place. You talk of the absorbtion of CO2. And the oceans are absorbing it. And turning acidic in doing so, enough to already negatively affect much of the single celled animals at the base of the food chain.

Sorry Rocks...........you loved this Professor Jones guy like a God for a decade. He pwned himself and then came clean on the haox.

Cant have it both ways s0n!!!:lol:

When the most highly respected guy on the face of the planet with regard to global warming says, "We fudged it!!", only the green OCD's had a meltdown.

The rest of the country said to themselves, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh-haaaaa!!!!"

Last edited:
rocks

Nice, insults instead of facts. The 'science' of CFC failed to explain how they are capable of interacting with the upper atmosphere when they are quite a bit heaver than air.

Ozone itself is heavier than air as well, maybe you'd like to explain to us how it ends up in the upper atmosphere, smarty pants.

That is where it is created

Point I would like some answers to:

The temperature has been cooling for a decade. ?

Actually, no, it isn't - so I can understand why people laughed at that earlier. Here's something a little more realistic:

2009 was tied for the second warmest year in the modern record, a new NASA analysis of global surface temperature shows. The analysis, conducted by the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York City, also shows that in the Southern Hemisphere, 2009 was the warmest year since modern records began in 1880.

Except for a leveling off between the 1940s and 1970s, Earth's surface temperatures have increased since 1880. The last decade has brought the temperatures to the highest levels ever recorded. The graph shows global annual surface temperatures relative to 1951-1980 mean temperatures. As shown by the red line, long-term trends are more apparent when temperatures are averaged over a five year period.

Although 2008 was the coolest year of the decade, due to strong cooling of the tropical Pacific Ocean, 2009 saw a return to near-record global temperatures. The past year was only a fraction of a degree cooler than 2005, the warmest year on record, and tied with a cluster of other years — 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006 and 2007 1998 and 2007 — as the second warmest year since recordkeeping began.

NASA GISS: Research News: 2009: Second Warmest Year on Record; End of Warmest Decade

I know this wasn't addressed to me but I had to respond to it. The sheer subtlety of its bullshit is astounding.... let me show you....

its starts off saying... "2009 was tied for the second warmest year in the modern record"

Sounds scary and given its from NASA or one of their centers even believable. but then it goes and tells on itself.... follow me...

"...in the Southern Hemisphere, 2009 was the warmest year since modern records began in 1880."

Okay so the southern hemisphere is the warmest since modern records began... got it... Wait 1880? We were just told 1850's was when modern records began before... So which is it? I mean thats a 30 year gap man we need to be accurate after all this is science right.... Right?

And it gets better... I love this next bit LOL....

"Except for a leveling off between the 1940s and 1970s, Earth's surface temperatures have increased since 1880."

Hold on... From 1880 to 2010 is 130 years. Of that 130 years about 30 of them you claim leveled off..... Well thats funny because according to historical records the 1930's was the one of the hottest decades since recorded temps.... SO thats not exactly a leveling off anymore now is it....

Don't leave it gets even better....

"Although 2008 was the coolest year of the decade, due to strong cooling of the tropical Pacific Ocean,..."

Really 2008 was the coolest year of the decade? So where does it stand over all? Wow we can't find that in your post now can we... Well it was the coldest in 7 years. but wait thats not exactly in line with the out of control warming scenario is it.. Nope its not... And incidentally, the flow of the oceans or the Thermohaline circulation, shows the colder water coming down from the arctic into the pacific. And the warmer Atlantic flowing up into the arctic. So the cooling of the pacific is a natural thing and not a freak occurence to give a colder winter...

Even more....

"The past year was only a fraction of a degree cooler than 2005, the warmest year on record, and tied with a cluster of other years — 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006 and 2007 1998 and 2007 — as the second warmest year since recordkeeping began. "

So second warmest decade... And what was the first? LOL well we are pretty sure it was the 1930's.... Seems odd they are so far apart given the claims of out of control warming... Also, the word play here is amazing lol...

"The past year was only a fraction of a degree cooler than 2005..."

Okay only a bit cooler than 2005, so whats that mean? well it means it was colder than 2005 by a small amount.... Wait colder? Yep... Okay....

"2005, the warmest year on record,..."

Uh ok but what record, before 1934 was the warmest on record so which is it? Well as you will find the warmest can refer to almost any obscure reason these days. ok so 2005 was warmest and the past year was colder than that by a fraction. got it, so we did cool down since 2005....

"...2005, the warmest year on record, and tied with a cluster of other years — 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006 and 2007 1998 and 2007 — as the second warmest year since recordkeeping began."

Wait a minute.... if 2005 was warmest on record and its tied with 98,02, 03, 06, 07
, and whatever else as the second warmest since record keeping began.... WTH?????? How can some thing be tied with so many years like that and still be called evidence of AGW?

Dude you are full of shit, and whats worse you are so full of it you get started and before you know it your BS overshadows your other BS...... UN- Fing - BELIEVABLE man.... YOu just rambled off nonsensical crap like a BS fountain.... You should really be ashamed of that...
Another perfect example of the first quote in my sig! :lol:

First of all, we are talking about GLOBAL temps, so your historical/hysterical claims that 1934 was the warmest year and the 1930's were the warmest decade are PURE BS. 1934 was the warmest year in the US and not GLOBALLY!!! So your rant built on 1934 is hilarious.

And your rant that claims 2005 is tied with a bunch of other years as the second warmest year is even more hilarious since the article you MISQUOTE clearly says 2009 is tied for second, not 2005 which is the warmest, and then you say 2005 was part of the "second" warmest decade even though the article says the decade from 2000 to 2009 was the warmest. Clearly you're BS is so thick, your BS overshadows your BS! :rofl:

Here is a chart for you to ignore:

get-file.php

Once again, lack of anything real. I see a lot of reports on both sides but it seems that temperatures did decline in the last decade but sea temperatures rose. The quarralation(sp?) between the two may very well be why both sides seem to be having issues agreeing on this. It is also noteworthy that there may very well have been warmer periods in the last 2000 years and that global temperatures really are quite LOW when looking at the geological history regardless of the CO2 levels. At the moment the earth is relatively cool.
Temps didn't decline the last decade, it was the warmest in the history of direct instrument measurement. And temps rose on BOTH land and sea.
How can the Earth be "relatively cool" at the moment when it is at the warmest its been since temp was measured directly???

See chart for land, sea and combined temps:

get-file.php

Well, FA_Q2. there are many heavy gases mixed quite will in our atmosphere. Xenon, about ten times as heavy as the primary component of our atmosphere, is evenly mixed.

Xenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xenon is a trace gas in Earth's atmosphere, occurring at 0.087±0.001 parts per million (μL/L), or approximately 1 part per 11.5 million,[46] and is also found in gases emitted from some mineral springs.

Xenon is obtained commercially as a byproduct of the separation of air into oxygen and nitrogen. After this separation, generally performed by fractional distillation in a double-column plant, the liquid oxygen produced will contain small quantities of krypton and xenon. By additional fractional distillation steps, the liquid oxygen may be enriched to contain 0.1–0.2% of a krypton/xenon mixture, which is extracted either via adsorption onto silica gel or by distillation. Finally, the krypton/xenon mixture may be separated into krypton and xenon via distillation.[47][48] Extraction of a liter of xenon from the atmosphere requires 220 watt-hours of energy.[49] Worldwide production of xenon in 1998 was estimated at 5,000–7,000 m3.[50] Because of its low abundance, xenon is much more expensive than the lighter noble gases—approximate prices for the purchase of small quantities in Europe in 1999 were 10 €/L for xenon, 1 €/L for krypton, and 0.20 €/L for neon.[50]

gslack

Hold on... From 1880 to 2010 is 130 years. Of that 130 years about 30 of them you claim leveled off..... Well thats funny because according to historical records the 1930's was the one of the hottest decades since recorded temps.... SO thats not exactly a leveling off anymore now is it....

.....................................................................................................................

Are you really that stupid? 1934 was a hot one for the US. Which is 1 1/2% of the surface of the earth. The rest of the earth was quite a bit cooler. Do you always repeat wingnut lies without even checking on them?

1934 is the hottest year on record

1934 is the hottest year on record
Link to this pageThe skeptic argument..."In August 2007, Steve McIntyre noticed a strange discontinuity in US temperature data, occurring around January 2000. McKintyre notified NASA who acknowledged the problem as an 'oversight' that would be fixed in the next data refresh. The warmest year on US record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place." (Daily Tech).

What the science says...
1934 is the hottest year on record in the USA which only comprises 2% of the globe. According to NASA temperature records, the hottest year on record globally is 2005.

Steve McIntyre's discovery of a glitch in the GISS temperature data is an impressive achievement. Make no mistake, it's an embarrassing error on the part of NASA. But what is the significance?

NASA's "Y2K" glitch
Contrary to many reports, the error wasn't a Y2K bug but a mixup over data corrections with the NOAA. NASA GISS obtain much of their temperature data from the NOAA who adjust the data to filter out primarily time-of-observation bias (although their corrections also include inhomogeneities and urban warming - more on NOAA adjustments). From January 2000, NASA were mistakenly using unadjusted data.

USA temperature versus global temperature trends
What is often overlooked is the temperature adjustments only applied to temperatures in 48 U.S. states. As the USA comprises only 2% of the globe, this has had infinitesimal effect on global trends.

The graph below (courtesy of Open Mind) compares the global temperature trend from before and after adjustments. Before the error was discovered, the trend was 0.185°C/decade. After corrections were made, the trend was still 0.185°C/decade. The change to the global mean was less than one thousandth of a degree.

Forum List

Back