The battle for Tahrir Square

p kirkes

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2006
NW Louisiana
I've been following the Egyptian people's revolt and watched a peaceful and popular protest turned into a pitched battle with the future of Egypt at stake.

I was relieved to see President Mubarak announce he wouldn't seek a new term, appointed a VP and fired his cabinet.

I was concerned when the protesters rejected these actions and clung to their mantra that Mubarak must go and now.

Then the battle began, at first I didn't give the protesters much of a chance. But they developed a makeshift fighting style, battled back and it seems they carried the day.

I've gained a newand profound respect for Egyptians and hope they can carve out a new nation as a result of this revolt. The "Battle of Tahrir Square" will be a memorial event in their history.

I few the US role in this as supportive not interventionist. \

Could this be their "Bunker Hill"?

Regards,

Last edited:
The battle for Tahrir Square

Horses 6- 1 over the Camels...but the Camels will get their game together in the second half I bet...if not the police will just shoot the horses.

anyway today and tomorrow are the days......make or break imho.

I've been following the Egyptian people's revolt and watched a peaceful and popular protest turned into a pitched battle with the future of Egypt at stake.

I was relieved to see President Mubarak announce he wouldn't seek a new term, appointed a VP and fired his cabinet.

I was concerned when the protesters rejected these actions and clung to their mantra that Mubarak must go and now.

Then the battle began, at first I didn't give the protesters much of a chance. But they developed a makeshift fighting style, battled back and it seems they carried the day.

I've gained a newand profound respect for Egyptians and hope they can carve out a new nation as a result of this revolt. The "Battle of Tahrir Square" will be a memorial event in their history.

Regards,
Since Mubarak like virtually all politicians lies with every breath, I don't think the protesters can afford to leave the square until the dictator is arrested, deposed or dead.

Juan Cole's 2/4/11 Post:

"I have a deep fear that the breaking of cameras, the closure of Aljazeera’s offices, the attacks on and threats against international journalists, were intended to blind the world to a planned atrocity against innocent, peaceful protesters on Friday.

"It may be that the strong condemnation of these moves by the US, Europe and others has made the Interior Ministry rethink any such plan.

"The Mubarak regime on Thursday had also continued its attacks on the protesters at Tahrir Square downtown, deploying plainsclothes police, covert agents, and hired thugs in an attempt to take the square away from the dissidents. Although they attacked over and over again, they were unable to dislodge the demonstrators.

"Iason Athanasiades,interviewed on Aljazeera, is reporting that the failure of the Interior Minister goons to chase the demonstrators from Tahrir Square despite brutal violence against them on Thursday has created increasing doubts in the military about the wisdom of attempting a bloody crackdown.

"Recently appointed prime minister, Air Force Gen. Ahmad Shafiq, expressed regret for the violence on Thursday and seemed to blame it on partisans in the Interior Ministry of ousted domestic surveillance czar Habib El Adly."

Maybe the "Battle for Tahrir Square" is Bunker Hill 2.0?

Regards,
Since Mubarak like virtually all politicians lies with every breath, I don't think the protesters can afford to leave the square until the dictator is arrested, deposed or dead.

Juan Cole's 2/4/11 Post:

"I have a deep fear that the breaking of cameras, the closure of Aljazeera’s offices, the attacks on and threats against international journalists, were intended to blind the world to a planned atrocity against innocent, peaceful protesters on Friday.

"It may be that the strong condemnation of these moves by the US, Europe and others has made the Interior Ministry rethink any such plan.

"The Mubarak regime on Thursday had also continued its attacks on the protesters at Tahrir Square downtown, deploying plainsclothes police, covert agents, and hired thugs in an attempt to take the square away from the dissidents. Although they attacked over and over again, they were unable to dislodge the demonstrators.

"Iason Athanasiades,interviewed on Aljazeera, is reporting that the failure of the Interior Minister goons to chase the demonstrators from Tahrir Square despite brutal violence against them on Thursday has created increasing doubts in the military about the wisdom of attempting a bloody crackdown.

"Recently appointed prime minister, Air Force Gen. Ahmad Shafiq, expressed regret for the violence on Thursday and seemed to blame it on partisans in the Interior Ministry of ousted domestic surveillance czar Habib El Adly."

Oh *uc that gasbag..........can't you speak for yourself George? You're a bright guy. you need to ride his dishonest and dilapidated coattails?

is any of this really a surprise?

I mean tactically he surprised me, I admit, I was wrong , I thought he would goad the MB into making the first move, if he tried, but he jumped the gun ( pun intended) he blew it, its generally accepted his thugs started it, BUT in the end?

You a history guy george? how many people did Assad kill when one city in particular Hama decided they would hit the streets? 20,000? 30,000? How many Palis did Jordan off when Arafat went postal ala Black September?

just because its now in the moment doesn't mean this won't or cannot happen...

Regards,

Juan Cole's 2/4/11 Post:

Oh *uc that gasbag..........can't you speak for yourself George? You're a bright guy. you need to ride his dishonest and dilapidated coattails?

I mean tactically he surprised me, I admit, I was wrong , I thought he would goad the MB into making the first move, if he tried, but he jumped the gun ( pun intended) he blew it, its generally accepted his thugs started it, BUT in the end?

You a history guy george? how many people did Assad kill when one city in particular Hama decided they would hit the streets? 20,000? 30,000? How many Palis did Jordan off when Arafat went postal ala Black September?

I strongly suspect I don't know History as well as you.

I'm also convinced that Mubarak might well have murdered tens of thousands of his people if this uprising had occurred prior to the Internet.

What if Saudi Arabia is next?

101st Airborne time?

Do you think Osama might come home?

Juan Cole's 2/4/11 Post:

I strongly suspect I don't know History as well as you.

who knows....?*shrugs*

I'm also convinced that Mubarak might well have murdered tens of thousands of his people if this uprising had occurred prior to the Internet.

bingo.

What if Saudi Arabia is next?

won't happen, the gov. has bribed, oops, I meant shared far more of the wealth amongst the people, they just want to drive Mercedes and go strip clubs and rink when they can catch a flight..............

101st Airborne time?

:eusa_eh:

Do you think Osama might come home?

no way.

I don't see how anything is going to change when the successor will be most be likely be another globalist puppet. Just saying.

The people cannot afford to be out in the streets for much longer. They have to eat. they have to work to keep going. Something has to give. I cannot believe their patience so far. A leader has to appear from the protestors that will storm Mubarak's castle. Do they have an alliance with the military? Is there an underground growing?

Do they even have a plan? This appears this may just peter out if there is no organization behind it.

Do you sense the impending demise of the "Jewish State"?

"It should be remembered that Egypt’s elite of multi-millionaires has benefited enormously from its set of corrupt bargains with the US and Israel and from the maintenance of a martial law regime that deflects labor demands and pesky human rights critiques.

"It is no wonder that to defend his billions and those of his cronies, Hosni Mubarak was perfectly willing to order thousands of his security thugs into the Tahrir Square to beat up and expel the demonstrators, leaving 7 dead and over 800 wounded, 200 of them just on Thursday morning."

You should.

Juan Cole

Forum List

Back