The Avengers

Saturday...the line for The Avengers was LONG!!!!
It was in our IMAX theater....3D...and people were getting there 2 hours ahead of the showtime they wanted, just to make sure they got tickets.
While we wee standing there, they put up the SOLD OUT sign.....people were upset.

Even the shows that were not in 3D had long lines.
I got to choose between The Raven and The Hunger Games...........I chose The Raven.

And I seen on the news this morning, The Avengers brought in 220 billion.....more than any Harry Potter movie.

Saturday...the line for The Avengers was LONG!!!!
It was in our IMAX theater....3D...and people were getting there 2 hours ahead of the showtime they wanted, just to make sure they got tickets.
While we wee standing there, they put up the SOLD OUT sign.....people were upset.

Even the shows that were not in 3D had long lines.
I got to choose between The Raven and The Hunger Games...........I chose The Raven.

I liked The Raven.

I'm a huge Poe fan and I liked the film-noir style that the film emulated.

:clap2:
Saw it yesterday!

:clap2:

Don't bother spending the extra for 3-D, though.
Not enough "in your face" moments to be worth it.

:cool:
Thanks for that tip!

I left wondering if I could have enjoyed the entire screen better if it wasn't layered.
and YVW
I have yet to see a 3D movie, since it has come back in style, just the old ones, pre-2000 (pre-1990s?)

Are any of them any good?

And I also see that some are in 3D and "Real 3D" or some such. What's the dif?

Thanks for that tip!

I left wondering if I could have enjoyed the entire screen better if it wasn't layered.
and YVW
I have yet to see a 3D movie, since it has come back in style, just the old ones, pre-2000 (pre-1990s?)

Are any of them any good?

And I also see that some are in 3D and "Real 3D" or some such. What's the dif?

about $3.00 in the price of a ticket! :eek:

i did use the 3-D option with the Avengers, and found it okay, but sometimes a bit disorienting. Of course, I had to wear the 3-D glasses over my regular glasses.

I hate the 3d, I think it distracts from the movie far more than it enhances it. My roommate, on the other hand, only wants to watch movies in 3d. We watched Avengers separately. :lol:

Good movie. I'll call it my second-favorite super-hero type movie, behind The Dark Knight. Loki is just nowhere near as good a villain as the Joker, and Ledger's performance was also incredible.

There were a number of very funny parts in Avengers. As is often the case with Whedon, the story wasn't the greatest, but it was made up for by having good characters and interaction between them.

Certainly the best of the Marvel movies. After the newness wears off, I might reassess and maybe X-Men will end up ahead of Avengers, I don't know. For right now it gets to keep the second spot, though.

I'm one of those weirdos who really enjoyed 'Daredevil' and who also thought that the first 'Hulk' was very innovative (even if the CGI Hulk was a bit cartoony).

BTW - was that the one and only 'Superman Returns'? I was hoping he was going to return again for another. Brandon Routh was a good choice, but that was 2006!

I'm one of those weirdos who really enjoyed 'Daredevil' and who also thought that the first 'Hulk' was very innovative (even if the CGI Hulk was a bit cartoony).

BTW - was that the one and only 'Superman Returns'? I was hoping he was going to return again for another. Brandon Routh was a good choice, but that was 2006!

You, sir, have horrible taste in movies. :lol:

There's another Superman coming out.....next year I believe. Another reboot, not a Returns sequel. I think the title is Man of Steel.

There's another Superman coming out.....next year I believe. Another reboot, not a Returns sequel. I think the title is Man of Steel.
I've never understood the hatred for Daredevil. The effects were good, and Colin Farrell was an excellent Bullseye. But I'm not on that hate-Ben Affleck bandwagon that some people ascribe to. You should re-watch it.

What I mostly liked about Hulk was the attempt to emulate a comic book, with all the panels. I think it worked, although the story was not great. I also have never been a fan of the concept of Hulk growing in size to that extent as he gets angrier.

I've never understood the hatred for Daredevil. The effects were good, and Colin Farrell was an excellent Bullseye. But I'm not on that hate-Ben Affleck bandwagon that some people ascribe to. You should re-watch it.

What I mostly liked about Hulk was the attempt to emulate a comic book, with all the panels. I think it worked, although the story was not great. I also have never been a fan of the concept of Hulk growing in size to that extent as he gets angrier.

I have tried rewatching Daredevil. It was still horrible. It's not just Affleck, although I'm not a fan of his. The writing was just pretty terrible overall.

I absolutely despised the comic panel look from the Ang Lee Hulk! A friend that I saw the movie with loved it, like you he thought they did a great job with it, but for me, if I want to read a comic, I'll read a comic....I was there to watch a movie. Of course, the movie was so full of fail, even without the panels it would have been on par with Batman & Robin as one of the worst modern comic movies. :lol:

Of course, I'm always torn between wanting what I consider bad comic movies to do poorly because they are bad, or wanting them to have at least limited success to keep the comic book movie industry pushing forward. At this point, I don't think that's necessary, so I hope the bad movies fail at the box office for now. :eusa_whistle:

I'm expecting disappointment from The Dark Knight Rises. Bane is a nothing character compared to Joker, and I doubt the actor can do even vaguely as good a job as Ledger did in his performance. Maybe Catwoman will make up for it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oddly, I'm finding myself hopeful for the Spider-Man and Superman reboots. I thought the second and especially third SM movies were bad, and the last Superman movie was pretty bleh (plus he's a generally boring character IMO). For some reason I find myself with mental fingers crossed anyway.

I have tried rewatching Daredevil. It was still horrible. It's not just Affleck, although I'm not a fan of his. The writing was just pretty terrible overall.

I absolutely despised the comic panel look from the Ang Lee Hulk! A friend that I saw the movie with loved it, like you he thought they did a great job with it, but for me, if I want to read a comic, I'll read a comic....I was there to watch a movie. Of course, the movie was so full of fail, even without the panels it would have been on par with Batman & Robin as one of the worst modern comic movies. :lol:

Of course, I'm always torn between wanting what I consider bad comic movies to do poorly because they are bad, or wanting them to have at least limited success to keep the comic book movie industry pushing forward. At this point, I don't think that's necessary, so I hope the bad movies fail at the box office for now. :eusa_whistle:

I'm expecting disappointment from The Dark Knight Rises. Bane is a nothing character compared to Joker, and I doubt the actor can do even vaguely as good a job as Ledger did in his performance. Maybe Catwoman will make up for it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oddly, I'm finding myself hopeful for the Spider-Man and Superman reboots. I thought the second and especially third SM movies were bad, and the last Superman movie was pretty bleh (plus he's a generally boring character IMO). For some reason I find myself with mental fingers crossed anyway.

The second Spider-Man, with Doc Ock, is universally hailed as the best of the three.

You, sir, have horrible taste in movies! :lol:

The second Spider-Man, with Doc Ock, is universally hailed as the best of the three.

I still don't understand that. The second SM wasn't particularly good. Come on, "Yes, the AI in these arms is dangerous. That's why I have this enormous, glowing, exposed chip at the top of it to protect me! Hope nothing happens to it!" :lol: Then there was the oddity of Doc Oc sometimes making the ground shake when he walked, yet at other times moving in complete silence.

I also wasn't thrilled with the writing/acting. In the first it wasn't as bad, but it was too cheesy in the second (and the third just sucked). Add in things like the Evil Dead-type camerawork (I think when Doc Oc first went nuts, the way they showed his arms knocking people's heads around) and I just didn't see how it was at all superior to the first movie.

A lot of people have apparently liked the Transformers movies, as well, and I don't think a single one of those was worth a damn. :eusa_whistle:

I still don't understand that. The second SM wasn't particularly good. Come on, "Yes, the AI in these arms is dangerous. That's why I have this enormous, glowing, exposed chip at the top of it to protect me! Hope nothing happens to it!" :lol: Then there was the oddity of Doc Oc sometimes making the ground shake when he walked, yet at other times moving in complete silence.

I also wasn't thrilled with the writing/acting. In the first it wasn't as bad, but it was too cheesy in the second (and the third just sucked). Add in things like the Evil Dead-type camerawork (I think when Doc Oc first went nuts, the way they showed his arms knocking people's heads around) and I just didn't see how it was at all superior to the first movie.

A lot of people have apparently liked the Transformers movies, as well, and I don't think a single one of those was worth a damn. :eusa_whistle:
I think it was hailed more for the pathos of Peter Parker than anything else.

The Transformer movies sucked, as does everything that Michael Bay touches.

LOVED it! My sister doesn't like action movies, and she really, really enjoyed it. I guess I shouldn't mention any specifics for another week or so, but there were two scenes that had me cheering.

]I'm one of those weirdos who really enjoyed 'Daredevil' [/B]and who also thought that the first 'Hulk' was very innovative (even if the CGI Hulk was a bit cartoony).

i agree Synth i thought Daredevil was alright myself......what i cant get is how anyone thought wimpy looking Thomas Jane was a better Punisher than the latest guy to play him.....Ray Stevenson ......

New Topics

Forum List

Back