The Audacity of Humility

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Another good read.

The late Tim Russert once described his role on the venerable Meet the Press thus: “I view it very much as a national treasure, and I am the temporary custodian and try to take care of it, and hopefully pass it off in good shape one day.” That might be a healthy credo for a United States president to apply to his office, too. Sure, “custodian” may belie the presidency’s potential to alter the course of history in ways that are terribly profound: imagine a post–Stephen Douglas nation. But the word “temporary” is apt. The Founding Fathers’ insistence on making the presidency a term-limited and duly checked office, no matter how wonderful the guy at the top was, wasn’t just a nifty way to stave off monarchy but a way to make clear that the power was truly with the people: “Hey, Mr. President, you’re out in eight years—maybe four—but we’ll keep voting for your replacement and your replacement’s replacement till we die.” (The Constitution did not limit presidents to two terms until 1951, when the 22nd Amendment was ratified. Until then, the limits were customary rather than constitutional.)

So a president who understands that the exclusive Leaders of the Free World Club is powerful yet ultimately limited, prestigious yet not of his own making, is a leader who understands that the majority of his countrymen placed confidence in him to “pass” America “off in good shape one day,” not to spend his time trying personally to mold it and ensure that his beautiful mug kicks Washington’s off the $1 bill. Call me a biased cynic, but candidate Barack Obama doesn’t seem to understand that; or if he does, he seems nevertheless to indulge in a disturbing amount of cult-of-personality marketing and self-celebration that far exceeds historical norms—even for an office that, by definition, demands a lot of ego. It’s as if he doesn’t need to campaign for your vote because he’s already president.

The Audacity of Humility by Katherine Ernst, City Journal 28 October 2008

the whole cult of personality is bullshit.

How the hell is he supposed to run for president without becoming a house hold name.

McCrusty has been a household name longer than Obama, its just that the people in most homes dont like McCrusty.

WTF?! Bringing up the late, great Tim Russert as a reason why you shouldn't vote for Obama???

Come on, Crimson. I expected more from you.

This election night will not be the same without him.

Here's some humility for you:

"... a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany ... and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Obama" - Barack Obama Lebanon, New Hampshire.
January 7, 2008.

Meaningless. The Presidency has become a figurehead position. Follow the money and you will find the power. It's a corporatist world now and policy will always be made in the name of economics. Nothing else matters... not political partys, societal issues (abortion, gay marriage, morality), none of it. It's all lipservice in the name of global economics.

Here's some humility for you:

"... a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany ... and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Obama" - Barack Obama Lebanon, New Hampshire.
January 7, 2008.

So this quote you attributed to Obama here, you do realize he never saiod this right?

WTF?! Bringing up the late, great Tim Russert as a reason why you shouldn't vote for Obama???

Come on, Crimson. I expected more from you.

This election night will not be the same without him.

Did you even read the piece? The part about the President should be a custodian of a National Treasure, just as Russert was? You don't find any truth in that?

January 7, 2008.

So this quote you attributed to Obama here, you do realize he never saiod this right?

Oh Really?

Here is a video:

It is a McCain ad, but you can cleary see those words coming out of mouth.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id1IKJGVkvg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Id1IKJGVkvg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Last edited:
Did you even read the piece? The part about the President should be a custodian of a National Treasure, just as Russert was? You don't find any truth in that?

Obama will be a great president.

He is smart, even tempered, and knowledgable.

And the way he has run his campaign shows just how smart he is.

The Tim Russert thing is a little personal to me, sorry. I can't talk about it. All I can say is that Russert was a great man and he made the show what it is today. The President can make sure things are running smooth for the country and is a problem solver, but he does not improve our country - we do. At least, we haven't had a president since FDR to improve our country. Tim Russert made a little no-named show into a national treasure. He made staying up late at night to see who won Florida or Ohio interesting for the people who hate politics. Everyone's life was better off for having met Russert. In comparison to our current president, no one's life is better off for having Bush in office except multi-billion dollar CEO's, and Hailburton.

Last edited:
January 7, 2008.

He said it. The complete quote is: "My job this morning is to be so persuasive a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany, and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Obama." Obama said it at a Jan. 7 speech at Dartmouth College just before the New Hampshire Primary.

He said it. The complete quote is: "My job this morning is to be so persuasive a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany, and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Obama." Obama said it at a Jan. 7 speech at Dartmouth College just before the New Hampshire Primary.

I don't know if he said it or not but kudos to him if he did. That's some pretty funny shit. Does someone have a problem wth this?

Forum List

Back