Trump The attack on vaping.

I'd far rather it be vaping than smoking.
But, if it comes out that vaping is just as dangerous to ones health, you may change your mind.

Furthermore, youth smoking dropped off a cliff before youth vaping took off. So you present a somewhat false dichotomy.

Kids do stupid things, because they are kids.

I'm not saying vaping is wonderful, but is it really worse than huffing lacquer or model airplane glue?

Or smoking, doing crack or shooting up?

Or taking it in the caboose?

Teens do crazy shit, just to get a rise out of adults, I think that if all they are doing is vaping, I'd say that's better than a kid getting involved in shoplifting, arson or butt sex to agitate us old people.

Good question

But regardless nicotine itself is really not so bad
Nicotine is highly toxic. Lethal in surprisingly low concentrated doses. The dosage is low in plants though...
Anything can be toxic

You are not going to vape yourself to death from too much nicotine
Probably not. I do wonder what might happen if a person/ small child drank the liquid though...

They'd spit it out and gag, because the liquid itself tastes terrible.

I hope you're not suggesting that e-juice should be banned because it could be dangerous if one drinks it, given how many substances there are in any normal household about which one could say the same.
No... Just simply wondering. I get my nicotine fix too, so no judgment here. I just don't like jeopardizing my lungs is all...

Well, if you drink it, it's not your lungs that are in danger.

If you're vaping it, you're ingesting small amounts of the ingredients over an extended period of time.

If you vape, you've probably had occasions when some of the juice got in your mouth. Not very pleasant, was it?

The protest against vaping I’ve been hearing centers around the idea that the flavored vape juices cater to children. Which is nonsensical...

True. People act as if things that are appealing to children must obviously be made for the purpose of appealing to children, as if adults can't possibly find the same things appealing that children do.
Yup. Like tide pods. If only it would make doing laundry appealing to the little bastards...

I make doing laundry appealing to my kids the old-fashioned way: I threaten to burn their nasty clothes and make them go naked.

The protest against vaping I’ve been hearing centers around the idea that the flavored vape juices cater to children. Which is nonsensical...

True. People act as if things that are appealing to children must obviously be made for the purpose of appealing to children, as if adults can't possibly find the same things appealing that children do.
Yup. Like tide pods. If only it would make doing laundry appealing to the little bastards...

I make doing laundry appealing to my kids the old-fashioned way: I threaten to burn their nasty clothes and make them go naked.
I like it...

I like it...

Yeah, well, if you let them, kids will avoid doing laundry until their clothes can stand up and walk to the hamper under their own power. The only solution would be to burn them, preferably while wearing a gas mask.

Yeah gaping is slightly better then smoking. Kind to f like 10 foot of water in your house is better then 12 foot.

It still uses the the same addictive substance nicotine. Because of flavorings and other things it still has dangers. Some think it is better then cigarettes.

Try reading this information Is Vaping Bad For You?

WebMd thinks everything is cancer....

The biggest issue with smoking isn't the nicotine, it's the combustion products.

Vaping eliminates combustion, hence combustion products.
I take it you did not bother to read the article. One of the first things it talks about is a problem known as popcorn lung caused by one of the products involved in vaping. There are other effects.

Nicotine is actually used by some as an insecticide. In high enough concentration it can cause death. In small amounts it causes high blood pressure. Even repeated small amounts can cause addiction.

You really need to educate yourself.

I take it YOU did not read the article, except to find confirmation of your biases. Note that every single one of the problems you trumpet was prefaced by the phrase "some brands". Know which brands those are? The ones made by the tobacco companies.

"In high enough concentrations", you say. How high, exactly, are those concentrations?
I see you have missed the fact that we just had the first death that was directly attributed to vaping. The thing I always find so funny is that there is always people that are so excited with defending things before all the data is in.
How many defended smoking? Now suddenly smoking and second hand smoke is considered terrible. No one is defending it.
People defended the use of talc for hygiene products. Now we have people suing because of its use.

So much better to do something then worry about possible problems after others are faced with having to pay for someone's rush to do what makes them feel good at the moment.

Yeah gaping is slightly better then smoking. Kind to f like 10 foot of water in your house is better then 12 foot.

It still uses the the same addictive substance nicotine. Because of flavorings and other things it still has dangers. Some think it is better then cigarettes.

The biggest issue with smoking isn't the nicotine, it's the combustion products.

I take it you did not bother to read the article. One of the first things it talks about is a problem known as popcorn lung caused by one of the products involved in vaping. There are other effects.

Nicotine is actually used by some as an insecticide. In high enough concentration it can cause death. In small amounts it causes high blood pressure. Even repeated small amounts can cause addiction.

I take it YOU did not read the article, except to find confirmation of your biases. Note that every single one of the problems you trumpet was prefaced by the phrase "some brands". Know which brands those are? The ones made by the tobacco companies.

"In high enough concentrations", you say. How high, exactly, are those concentrations?
I see you have missed the fact that we just had the first death that was directly attributed to vaping. The thing I always find so funny is that there is always people that are so excited with defending things before all the data is in.
How many defended smoking? Now suddenly smoking and second hand smoke is considered terrible. No one is defending it.
People defended the use of talc for hygiene products. Now we have people suing because of its use.

So much better to do something then worry about possible problems after others are faced with having to pay for someone's rush to do what makes them feel good at the moment.

Everything has risks involved with it.

If you smoke you can get emphysema and croak, if you drink you can get cirrhosis OTL and keel over dead.

If you walk outside in Chicago, be sure to keep an eye peeled for a "driveby".

Avoiding all risk is stupid.

Everything has risks involved with it.

If you smoke you can get emphysema and croak, if you drink you can get cirrhosis OTL and keel over dead.

If you walk outside in Chicago, be sure to keep an eye peeled for a "driveby".

Avoiding all risk is stupid.
Funny. I have stated that if anyone wants to kill themselves have at it.
I just don't want to have to pay for someone doing it slowly.
I don't want my money going for cancer treatments, law suits and the rest.
Unfortunately too many rush to do stupid things just because it feels good. You have people who overeat because it makes them feel good. Never mind the health problems from obesity. You have people who get drunk day after day. Never mind cirrhosis of the liver or drunk driving.

There is acceptable risk as in driving to work. Then there is unacceptable risk as in driving drunk. Acceptable is breathing in towntown New York City. Unacceptable is breathing in a car locked in the garage.

I see YOU missed the fact that the media deliberately mis-reported that story, and also the fact that no one here - least of all me - is using your asinine "Internet expert" viewpoint as a truth baseline.

The thing I always find so funny is people who are so excited with attacking something before all the data is in, or correctly reported. No, scratch that. The thing I REALLY find funny is that the stupidest people in the world are also the ones who claim to be informed.

I see YOU missed the fact that the media deliberately mis-reported that story, and also the fact that no one here - least of all me - is using your asinine "Internet expert" viewpoint as a truth baseline.

The thing I always find so funny is people who are so excited with attacking something before all the data is in, or correctly reported. No, scratch that. The thing I REALLY find funny is that the stupidest people in the world are also the ones who claim to be informed.
So that must make you the stupidest person in the world. You claim that it was deliberately Mis-reported. Funny that the CDC does not see things your way. They have issued a warning. Of course they are just stupid and misinformed right?

So you want to keep doing what you are doing have at it. Don't expect me to pay for you being retarded. Don't try and entice others by claiming it is not harmful.

Nicotine infused steam inside of your lungs?....yeah that sounds safe...go for it...:45:

So that must make you the stupidest person in the world. You claim that it was deliberately Mis-reported. Funny that the CDC does not see things your way. They have issued a warning. Of course they are just stupid and misinformed right?

So you want to keep doing what you are doing have at it. Don't expect me to pay for you being retarded. Don't try and entice others by claiming it is not harmful.

You spend a great deal of time gassing on about what you "know" to be true, without ever actually demonstrating that it is. It's really quite stunning, the level of self-absorbed oblivion creatures like you exist in.

"The CDC thinks this, because I say they do, no I can't prove it, but I want to believe it, so accept it!"

In fact, as reported by the BBC, the ballyhooed "first death from vaping" was caused by vaping THC oil, not e-juice. And the CDC has admitted - quietly - that of the 193 cases of "mysterious lung illness caused by vaping" that they've been touting, many have already been clearly linked to THC, not regular e-juice. Furthermore, the THC oil in question appears to have been bought through the so-called "black market", rather than from medical marijuana dispensaries.

Whatever agenda the CDC pushes loudly in the forefront, the fact is that there's a lot they're saying quietly in the background that "miraculously" isn't making it into the news.

First death linked to vaping reported in US

The reduction in smoking has provided the greatest health benefits to Americans in the last 50 years

And vaping reduces smoking.

This isn't a Republican/Democrat thing, it's a control freak vs. non-control freak thing.
There have been a number of articles recently about sudden, serious lung disease in young people brought on by vaping. I think has been little research done on it prior to marketing. There could be cause for concern.
If it isn’t really that safe.

Cases of lung disease possibly linked to vaping continue to rise. This teen was given a 'second chance' - CNN

Nicotine infused steam inside of your lungs?....yeah that sounds safe...go for it...:45:

Compared to inhaling "nicotine-infused" smoke from burning plants, which also happens to contain thousands of far more harmful substances like tar, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, lead, arsenic, benzene? Yeah, I'm thinking the "nicotine-infused steam" sounds safer.

The reduction in smoking has provided the greatest health benefits to Americans in the last 50 years

This isn't a Republican/Democrat thing, it's a control freak vs. non-control freak thing.
There have been a number of articles recently about sudden, serious lung disease in young people brought on by vaping. I think has been little research done on it prior to marketing. There could be cause for concern.

Cases of lung disease possibly linked to vaping continue to rise. This teen was given a 'second chance' - CNN

From your own link:

So far, the FDA has "received about 80 samples and continues to receive requests from states to send more samples for the FDA to analyze," the statement says. "The samples represent a variety of different types of products and substances -- a number of which contained incomplete information about the product.
"At this time, there does not appear to be one product involved in all of the cases, although THC and cannabinoids use has been reported in many cases." THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the psychoactive substance within cannabis.
In Wisconsin, health officials said Thursday that a majority of the cases in their state had inhaled THC products.

From your own link:

So far, the FDA has "received about 80 samples and continues to receive requests from states to send more samples for the FDA to analyze," the statement says. "The samples represent a variety of different types of products and substances -- a number of which contained incomplete information about the product.
"At this time, there does not appear to be one product involved in all of the cases, although THC and cannabinoids use has been reported in many cases." THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the psychoactive substance within cannabis.
In Wisconsin, health officials said Thursday that a majority of the cases in their state had inhaled THC products.
I think it is enough to be a little concerned because vaping is heavily marketed towards young people, largely unregulated and not well studied.

Not planning to make policy now based on the insane hypothetical that MAYBE Fart Fun will someday be right about something.
I didn't make any assertions about it. Stop being a crybaby and try to focus.

You, of course, often do act catiously when you dont know everything about something. Youvm are just taking a strident stance here, because you are reactionary.

FDA declares youth vaping an epidemic, announces investigation, new enforcement

Just more government overreach. I thought Trump was going to do away with regulations. He trumpets that all the time at his political rallies and constant tweets. Where is he when you need him; playing golf or watching Faux News.

This attack is a slap in the face to tobacco farmers in Trump territory, North Carolina, South Carolina and Kentucky. As the tobacco industry has known and practised for decades, you got to get them while they are young. And vaping, specifically marketed to kids is a proven method of starting the nicotine addiction process with graduation to full tobacco products.

Come on Trump. Get it in gear and protect the tobacco industry! They vote for you!
Weird

From your own link:

I think it is enough to be a little concerned because vaping is heavily marketed towards young people, largely unregulated and not well studied.

In what way is it "heavily marketed towards young people", as opposed to being marketed toward anyone who wants a nicotine fix without ingesting tobacco?

And yes, I do understand how much you hate and fear any aspect of life that isn't controlled and micro-managed by the government. Freedom and personal responsibility terrify you.

As for "well-studied", it's not going to GET well-studied in a blizzard of agenda-driven propaganda and misinformation.

Forum List

Back