Trump The attack on vaping.

I'd rather see millions of smokers prolonging their lives by switching to a far less hazardous source of nicotine like vaping.

And therein lies the problem. The tobacco industry doesn't want to see that happen because they want lifeling consumers of their tobacco. They're some of the biggest lobbyists in Washington. I imagine they have people working over at the FDA. There's pretty much a revolving door between industry and the FDA.

Abolish the FDA.

Also, the vape products that are most unhealthy and dangerous - the cheap-shit ones sold in convenience stores, which are also the ones most of the studies are based on - are manufactured by the tobacco companies. They're already accustomed to having their products highly regulated, and have the money to deal with that and keep making profits, so they would LOVE to see their smaller competitors regulated out of business.

FDA declares youth vaping an epidemic, announces investigation, new enforcement

Just more government overreach. I thought Trump was going to do away with regulations. He trumpets that all the time at his political rallies and constant tweets. Where is he when you need him; playing golf or watching Faux News.

This attack is a slap in the face to tobacco farmers in Trump territory, North Carolina, South Carolina and Kentucky. As the tobacco industry has known and practised for decades, you got to get them while they are young. And vaping, specifically marketed to kids is a proven method of starting the nicotine addiction process with graduation to full tobacco products.

Come on Trump. Get it in gear and protect the tobacco industry! They vote for you!

So in your mind vaping is a gateway drug now? LMFAO

Post the link kids switch to smoking tobacco...

Kids are going to do stupid, harmful things no matter what. They always have, and they always will. If they're determined to take up a bad habit, I'd far rather it be vaping than smoking. And I'm certainly not willing to deprive millions of adult smokers of the ability to quit in some vain attempt to ban all possibility of teenagers being the idiots they always have been.

I'd far rather it be vaping than smoking.
But, if it comes out that vaping is just as dangerous to ones health, you may change your mind.

Furthermore, youth smoking dropped off a cliff before youth vaping took off. So you present a somewhat false dichotomy.

Yeah gaping is slightly better then smoking. Kind to f like 10 foot of water in your house is better then 12 foot.

It still uses the the same addictive substance nicotine. Because of flavorings and other things it still has dangers. Some think it is better then cigarettes.

Try reading this information Is Vaping Bad For You?

Vaping is a lot more than "slightly better" than smoking.

It does contain nicotine, which is addictive, but on the other hand, the vast majority of people who vape are ALREADY addicted to nicotine, which is why they're vaping in the first place. And nicotine itself is not particularly harmful unless you ingest insane amounts of it (which is also true of virtually everything); the danger of nicotine addiction has always been that the fix came from something that contained tar, carcinogens, pesticides, etc.

Furthermore, e-juice typically contains far less nicotine than cigarettes, and the consumer can choose how much or how little they want, which allows them to gradually step down the amount and wean themselves off of it.

Everything has dangers. Living in a city and breathing air pollution has dangers. The choice isn't between vaping and breathing nothing but pure oxygen; it's between vaping and smoking.

Yeah gaping is slightly better then smoking. Kind to f like 10 foot of water in your house is better then 12 foot.

It still uses the the same addictive substance nicotine. Because of flavorings and other things it still has dangers. Some think it is better then cigarettes.

WebMd thinks everything is cancer....

The biggest issue with smoking isn't the nicotine, it's the combustion products.

Vaping eliminates combustion, hence combustion products.
I take it you did not bother to read the article. One of the first things it talks about is a problem known as popcorn lung caused by one of the products involved in vaping. There are other effects.

Nicotine is actually used by some as an insecticide. In high enough concentration it can cause death. In small amounts it causes high blood pressure. Even repeated small amounts can cause addiction.

You really need to educate yourself.

I take it YOU did not read the article, except to find confirmation of your biases. Note that every single one of the problems you trumpet was prefaced by the phrase "some brands". Know which brands those are? The ones made by the tobacco companies.

"In high enough concentrations", you say. How high, exactly, are those concentrations?

The biggest issue with smoking isn't the nicotine, it's the combustion products.

I take it you did not bother to read the article. One of the first things it talks about is a problem known as popcorn lung caused by one of the products involved in vaping. There are other effects.

Nicotine is actually used by some as an insecticide. In high enough concentration it can cause death. In small amounts it causes high blood pressure. Even repeated small amounts can cause addiction.

And caffeine doesn't have similar effects?

They came up and invented a better cigarette, and you killjoys still aren't happy.

Stop being a fucking busybody and allow people to live their lives as they see fit.
First off let's get this straight. I could care less if you want to smoke cigarettes, vape or hug a stick of lite dynamite.

Second as I stated already it is only slighly better.

Third you could not drink enough caffeine to kill you.

The last thing is simple. Don't try to convince young kids that vaping is better for you then cigarettes.

No, the REAL last thing is simple: don't feel like you need to tell people how to live their lives. No one asked you, and now that you've handed down your edicts uninvited, no one cares.

Just more government overreach. I thought Trump was going to do away with regulations. He trumpets that all the time at his political rallies and constant tweets. Where is he when you need him; playing golf or watching Faux News.

This attack is a slap in the face to tobacco farmers in Trump territory, North Carolina, South Carolina and Kentucky. As the tobacco industry has known and practised for decades, you got to get them while they are young. And vaping, specifically marketed to kids is a proven method of starting the nicotine addiction process with graduation to full tobacco products.

Come on Trump. Get it in gear and protect the tobacco industry! They vote for you!
I noticed the hype ramping up here as well. I find it more likely that the tobacco lobby is railing against vapes, because they are cutting into cigarette profits.
If the tobacco industry was smart they'd go all in on the vaping craze

They all have vape products on the market. But if vaping was regulated the way tobacco products are - which regulation they're already used to - it would put their competition out of business. That's their goal.

I noticed the hype ramping up here as well. I find it more likely that the tobacco lobby is railing against vapes, because they are cutting into cigarette profits.

Does the Nicotine for vaping come from extracting it from Tobacco?

Have to look that up.

It's the same nicotine used in the patches and gums. It can be extracted from a great number of plants, and there is also synthetic nicotine on the market.

Have to look that up.

Good question

But regardless nicotine itself is really not so bad
Nicotine is highly toxic. Lethal in surprisingly low concentrated doses. The dosage is low in plants though...

Nicotine is NOT "highly toxic". It actually requires rather large doses to be lethal. And one of the main points of vaping is that you can control the nicotine content - which is already lower than what is found in cigarettes - and gradually lower the amount to wean yourself away from the nicotine.

Have to look that up.

Good question

Nicotine is highly toxic. Lethal in surprisingly low concentrated doses. The dosage is low in plants though...
Anything can be toxic

You are not going to vape yourself to death from too much nicotine

I had a friend wind up in the hospital by eating nothing but salads and drinking gallons of water. Destroyed her liver. True story.

Too much of anything is bad for you. Again, the choice here is not between vaping and breathing nothing but pure oxygen every day; it's between vaping and smoking. Most people who start vaping do so because they are already addicted to smoking. So the question is not going to be "Is vaping better than never inhaling any harmful substance?" It's going to be, "Is vaping better than the harmful substance I'm already inhaling?" And as a corollary, "Can vaping help me quit inhaling harmful substances entirely?"

Have to look that up.

Good question

Anything can be toxic

Probably not. I do wonder what might happen if a person/ small child drank the liquid though...

They'd spit it out and gag, because the liquid itself tastes terrible.

I hope you're not suggesting that e-juice should be banned because it could be dangerous if one drinks it, given how many substances there are in any normal household about which one could say the same.

The protest against vaping I’ve been hearing centers around the idea that the flavored vape juices cater to children. Which is nonsensical...

True. People act as if things that are appealing to children must obviously be made for the purpose of appealing to children, as if adults can't possibly find the same things appealing that children do.

Have to look that up.

Good question

Anything can be toxic

Probably not. I do wonder what might happen if a person/ small child drank the liquid though...

They'd spit it out and gag, because the liquid itself tastes terrible.

I hope you're not suggesting that e-juice should be banned because it could be dangerous if one drinks it, given how many substances there are in any normal household about which one could say the same.
No... Just simply wondering. I get my nicotine fix too, so no judgment here. I just don't like jeopardizing my lungs is all...

The protest against vaping I’ve been hearing centers around the idea that the flavored vape juices cater to children. Which is nonsensical...

True. People act as if things that are appealing to children must obviously be made for the purpose of appealing to children, as if adults can't possibly find the same things appealing that children do.
Yup. Like tide pods. If only it would make doing laundry appealing to the little bastards...

And caffeine doesn't have similar effects?

They came up and invented a better cigarette, and you killjoys still aren't happy.

Stop being a fucking busybody and allow people to live their lives as they see fit.
First off let's get this straight. I could care less if you want to smoke cigarettes, vape or hug a stick of lite dynamite.

Second as I stated already it is only slighly better.

Third you could not drink enough caffeine to kill you.

The last thing is simple. Don't try to convince young kids that vaping is better for you then cigarettes.

But it is better and safer than cigarettes, much safer.

All of the cancer causing agents found in smoking is from the combustion products. By removing the combustion you remove those products.

That you have to lie to make your point shows your intellectual dishonesty on the subject.
Look not my fault if you are too emotionally invested to be honest about it. But you can't expect children to understand. If you don't like Webmd just spend a moment and Google other sources. But then you would need to agree that you do not understand what you are talking about.

Look, not our fault that the only refutation you can make to our arguments is, "Well, you must just be emotionally invested, so that means I can just dismiss it."

I don't expect children to understand much of anything. That's what they have parents and other adults for. If I need media-educated dimwits like you to raise my children for me via government overreach, I'll let you know.

Here's a better plan. If you're so sure that Googling other sources will prove that you're brilliant and anyone disagreeing with you MUST just be ignorant, then YOU Google it and show us. Proving yourself right is YOUR job, not ours.

Have to look that up.

Good question

Anything can be toxic

The same could be said for anything in your house or garage right now, Drano, anti freeze.....

Laundry soap, bug spray, liquor, medication . . .

Look not my fault if you are too emotionally invested to be honest about it. But you can't expect children to understand. If you don't like Webmd just spend a moment and Google other sources. But then you would need to agree that you do not understand what you are talking about.

The only emotion is coming from you. "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" is an intellectual cop-out, an appeal to emotion when a person wants to avoid debate on the merits.
Lol. You are absolutely funny. I have tried to talk about the dangers, bad effects, so far all you have done is use the emotional responses of it is better then cigarettes, webmd says everything is cancerous and now using emotion as a tool to keep from talking about the effects.
Do you really care if other adults choose to smoke, vape, chew or shove tobacco up their asses?

It's none of your business

THINK OF THE CHILDREN

/sarcasm.

Other people's kids are not my problem

(no sarcasm)

Our standard of living is going to go way down if every single product on the market is held to the "must be safe for children to eat/drink even though it's not intended to be used that way" Max wants to pretend to.

I'd far rather it be vaping than smoking.
But, if it comes out that vaping is just as dangerous to ones health, you may change your mind.

Furthermore, youth smoking dropped off a cliff before youth vaping took off. So you present a somewhat false dichotomy.

Well, IF that comes out, I'll deal with it then.

Not planning to make policy now based on the insane hypothetical that MAYBE Fart Fun will someday be right about something.

Furthermore, you present an argument against a "false dichotomy" I didn't present. You're also misusing the word "dichotomy".

Forum List

Back