Trump The attack on vaping.

The reduction in smoking has provided the greatest health benefits to Americans in the last 50 years

And vaping reduces smoking.

This isn't a Republican/Democrat thing, it's a control freak vs. non-control freak thing.
There is not enough research been done to know just how good or bad vaping is. Till then we should at least ban vaping for those under 21. My grandson in the 9th grade is vaping and says about half the kids are now. Older kids buy the product and resell to younger kids just like drugs.

. . . Which would mean it's already banned for minors. You're suggesting that we should "at least" do something which already exists.
In most state kids can buy e-cigarettes legally at age 18 or 19. Only a few states require an age of 21. It should be 21 in all states at least until, we figure out whether these things are safe for young people. IMHO, the purchase of guns, liquor, and tobacco products should become legal at 21. People may be physical mature at 18 but it is rare for them to be mentally mature at that age. In fact, I would say most 18 year-olds are bat shit crazy when it comes to making important decisions about their lives.

I have never been a huge fan of saying, "Oh, you're an adult, we can put all these responsibilities and demands on you . . . but we're going to treat you like a child in THESE areas for three more years." It makes no sense.

The reduction in smoking has provided the greatest health benefits to Americans in the last 50 years

This isn't a Republican/Democrat thing, it's a control freak vs. non-control freak thing.
There is not enough research been done to know just how good or bad vaping is. Till then we should at least ban vaping for those under 21. My grandson in the 9th grade is vaping and says about half the kids are now. Older kids buy the product and resell to younger kids just like drugs.

. . . Which would mean it's already banned for minors. You're suggesting that we should "at least" do something which already exists.
In most state kids can buy e-cigarettes legally at age 18 or 19. Only a few states require an age of 21. It should be 21 in all states at least until, we figure out whether these things are safe for young people. IMHO, the purchase of guns, liquor, and tobacco products should become legal at 21. People may be physical mature at 18 but it is rare for them to be mentally mature at that age. In fact, I would say most 18 year-olds are bat shit crazy when it comes to making important decisions about their lives.

I have never been a huge fan of saying, "Oh, you're an adult, we can put all these responsibilities and demands on you . . . but we're going to treat you like a child in THESE areas for three more years." It makes no sense.
I agree, it doesn't make sense conferring adulthood in such a segmented manner. These decisions are made based on needs that have nothing to do with the best interest of the child.

The simple fact is the rational part of a teen's brain isn't fully developed until they are well into their 20's. It doesn’t matter how smart teens are or how well they scored on the SAT. Good judgment isn’t something they can excel in. Adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment such as not driving after drinking and an awareness of long-term consequences of things like smoking, drug use, and promiscuous sex. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part. Our rush to push kids into adulthood has resulted in terrible consequences. Most teens simply do not make rational decisions about tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or sex.

An 18 year old is an adult not a kid

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

In what way is it "heavily marketed towards young people",
With candy flavors made to attract kids. This is based in a mountain of data, so you should probably abandon this silly line of argument immediately.
But it is illegal for minors to buy e cigarettes so why not crack down on the people selling to minors

Yes, because cigarette bans on under 21 smoking has stopped that cold.......

I don’t see how Congress can pass laws against the flavor of e cigarettes and not touch cigarettes themselves

Sure have helped a lot

Teenaged cigarette smoking is way down

Sure have helped a lot

based on survey information, and of course teens would never lie about something like that.....

Also it is down BECAUSE in part to vaping more than likely.

Sure have helped a lot

based on survey information, and of course teens would never lie about something like that.....

When the age was 18 it was easy for kids to find someone to buy them a pack

Teen smoking was down before vaping became available

Sure have helped a lot

When the age was 18 it was easy for kids to find someone to buy them a pack

Teen smoking was down before vaping became available

Again, based on surveys that rely on the honesty of the participants.

With candy flavors made to attract kids. This is based in a mountain of data, so you should probably abandon this silly line of argument immediately.
But it is illegal for minors to buy e cigarettes so why not crack down on the people selling to minors

It is no problem for kids in high school to buy the products in states with a legal age of 18 to purchase which is why 20% of high school students use vaping products. Many seniors in high school are 18 and provide products for the siblings and friends. In many schools selling vaping products is considered a good source of income. At 21, it's much harder for high school and middle school kids to get the product because they have less friends and contacts over 21.

Research shows that raising the legal sale age from 18 to 21, known as “Tobacco 21,” would greatly reduce youth tobacco use and prevent kids from starting to smoke, according to a 2015 Institute of Medicine report.
It doesn't take much research to determine Tobacco 21 does work. High school and middle school students have far less friends and contacts over 21 than 18. There is no way to completely eliminate tobacco use by kids but Tobacco 21 certainly reduces the numbers.

'Far from being a harmless rite of passage for teens, cigarette smoking can be highly addictive at a very early stage and lead to a lifetime of health problems and premature death,' said William V. Corr, Executive Vice President of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.
New Study Indicates Youth Smokers Become Quickly Addicted to Nicotine

It is no problem for kids in high school to buy the products in states with a legal age of 18 to purchase which is why 20% of high school students use vaping products. Many seniors in high school are 18 and provide products for the siblings and friends. In many schools selling vaping products is considered a good source of income. At 21, it's much harder for high school and middle school kids to get the product because they have less friends and contacts over 21.

Then change the age of majority for everything to 21

That means no voting or military service etc

Research shows that raising the legal sale age from 18 to 21, known as “Tobacco 21,” would greatly reduce youth tobacco use and prevent kids from starting to smoke, according to a 2015 Institute of Medicine report.
It doesn't take much research to determine Tobacco 21 does work. High school and middle school students have far less friends and contacts over 21 than 18. There is no way to completely eliminate tobacco use by kids but Tobacco 21 certainly reduces the numbers.

'Far from being a harmless rite of passage for teens, cigarette smoking can be highly addictive at a very early stage and lead to a lifetime of health problems and premature death,' said William V. Corr, Executive Vice President of the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.

Nicotine is really no worse than caffeine

It's the delivery system that causes the problems.

You see none of these vaping related illnesses with a dry herb vaporizer as it's the chemicals in the liquid vapes that seems to be causing the problem.

Then you should have to wait until 21 to vote and do other things.

Stop being such a nanny state fucking prick and let people live their lives.

I agree, it doesn't make sense conferring adulthood in such a segmented manner. These decisions are made based on needs that have nothing to do with the best interest of the child.

The simple fact is the rational part of a teen's brain isn't fully developed until they are well into their 20's. It doesn’t matter how smart teens are or how well they scored on the SAT. Good judgment isn’t something they can excel in. Adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment such as not driving after drinking and an awareness of long-term consequences of things like smoking, drug use, and promiscuous sex. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part. Our rush to push kids into adulthood has resulted in terrible consequences. Most teens simply do not make rational decisions about tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or sex.

I don't disagree. Hell, the military depends on the fact that young men are stupid and reckless enough to think charging into battle is a good plan.

At some point, you have to ask yourself, "Is it really the job of society or government to prevent all bad decisions that people might make?"

Would it surprise you at all to know that kids are not the only people in the world who like candy? This is based on a mountain of common fucking sense, so you should probably abandon this silly attempt to talk to your evolutionary superiors immediately.

Every vape store I've ever been to refuses to sell to minors and cards people in the exact same way that other stores do for cigarettes or alcohol. Nevertheless, despite the fact that their customers are all legal adults, their most popular flavors among those adults are still candy flavors like Skittles. It's almost like adults and kids sometimes like the same shit, or something.

I have no idea why it is that leftists eternally think that banning things stops people from getting them.

Forum List

Back