The Asian intelligence myth

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
I read over and over at USMB that it is a fact that Asians have higher IQs than any other ethic group. Since this makes no sense to me I decided to look around on the web and see what the evidence was...this article pretty well debunks the myth.
Flynn brings a similar precision to the question of whether Asians have a genetic advantage in I.Q., a possibility that has led to great excitement among I.Q. fundamentalists in recent years. Data showing that the Japanese had higher I.Q.s than people of European descent, for example, prompted the British psychometrician and eugenicist Richard Lynn to concoct an elaborate evolutionary explanation involving the Himalayas, really cold weather, premodern hunting practices, brain size, and specialized vowel sounds. The fact that the I.Q.s of Chinese-Americans also seemed to be elevated has led I.Q. fundamentalists to posit the existence of an international I.Q. pyramid, with Asians at the top, European whites next, and Hispanics and blacks at the bottom.

Here was a question tailor-made for James Flynn's accounting skills. He looked first at Lynn's data, and realized that the comparison was skewed. Lynn was comparing American I.Q. estimates based on a representative sample of schoolchildren with Japanese estimates based on an upper-income, heavily urban sample. Recalculated, the Japanese average came in not at 106.6 but at 99.2.

Then Flynn turned his attention to the Chinese-American estimates. They turned out to be based on a 1975 study in San Francisco's Chinatown using something called the Lorge-Thorndike Intelligence Test. But the Lorge-Thorndike test was normed in the nineteen-fifties. For children in the nineteen-seventies, it would have been a piece of cake. When the Chinese-American scores were reassessed using up-to-date intelligence metrics, Flynn found, they came in at 97 verbal and 100 nonverbal. Chinese-Americans had slightly lower I.Q.s than white Americans.
gladwell dot com - none of the above

If you know any asian students.

You know they study, study, and then study more.

Education is highly encouraged in asian families.

Their high IQ"s are only due to hard work and not genitics.

True. As a group, they are not more academically gifted - culturally, they set great store by academic achievement.

I thought this was well known.... apparently not.

Pretty much...it was interesting to see that despite a lower IQ in some areas they tried harder and got the job anyway.

Shows, IMO, that IQ doesn't really matter beyond a certain point when it comes to success.

People with high IQ's often have difficulty predicting what is well known because they base it on what they know.

That is true. I can't count the number of times it's got me into trouble, assuming that because I know something that everyone does. A high IQ is a gift, and a curse.... and, it means very little really. Being smart is one thing - using that intellect is another thing entirely.

People with high IQ's often have difficulty predicting what is well known because they base it on what they know.

That is true. I can't count the number of times it's got me into trouble, assuming that because I know something that everyone does. A high IQ is a gift, and a curse.... and, it means very little really. Being smart is one thing - using that intellect is another thing entirely.
:lol: You use your intellect just fine...such as it is.

Yes, I do. But rarely on this forum. The level of 'debate' here leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Yes, I do. But rarely on this forum. The level of 'debate' here leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Do you really expect anything higher on a political board?

I read over and over at USMB that it is a fact that Asians have higher IQs than any other ethic group. Since this makes no sense to me I decided to look around on the web and see what the evidence was...this article pretty well debunks the myth.
Flynn brings a similar precision to the question of whether Asians have a genetic advantage in I.Q., a possibility that has led to great excitement among I.Q. fundamentalists in recent years. Data showing that the Japanese had higher I.Q.s than people of European descent, for example, prompted the British psychometrician and eugenicist Richard Lynn to concoct an elaborate evolutionary explanation involving the Himalayas, really cold weather, premodern hunting practices, brain size, and specialized vowel sounds. The fact that the I.Q.s of Chinese-Americans also seemed to be elevated has led I.Q. fundamentalists to posit the existence of an international I.Q. pyramid, with Asians at the top, European whites next, and Hispanics and blacks at the bottom.

Here was a question tailor-made for James Flynn's accounting skills. He looked first at Lynn's data, and realized that the comparison was skewed. Lynn was comparing American I.Q. estimates based on a representative sample of schoolchildren with Japanese estimates based on an upper-income, heavily urban sample. Recalculated, the Japanese average came in not at 106.6 but at 99.2.

Then Flynn turned his attention to the Chinese-American estimates. They turned out to be based on a 1975 study in San Francisco's Chinatown using something called the Lorge-Thorndike Intelligence Test. But the Lorge-Thorndike test was normed in the nineteen-fifties. For children in the nineteen-seventies, it would have been a piece of cake. When the Chinese-American scores were reassessed using up-to-date intelligence metrics, Flynn found, they came in at 97 verbal and 100 nonverbal. Chinese-Americans had slightly lower I.Q.s than white Americans.

hahahaha, you're taking Malcolm Gladwell's interpretation of Professor Flynn's position as proof that NE asians don't have higher IQs? hahahaha

section 1. describes how Flynn became interested in generational differences on IQ tests, the Flynn Effect. a rising tide lifts all boats. IQ has always just been a comparison between people, adjusted to give an average of 100 and a standard deviation of 15 (16 on some tests). the world is a different and more compilcated place than it was 20, 40, 60, 80 or 100 years ago. but there were still dull, average and bright people then, as now.

section 2. sees Flynn demand that we admit that our grandparents were dullards compared to us or that IQ tests are not good measures of intelligence. there is a third option; IQ tests were a good measure then, a better measure now, and will be even better in the future.

section 3. sees Gladwell mock archaic tests from the distant past and adds an anecdote from his childhood. ?!?

section 4. sees Gladwell fawn over Flynn for a while, then talk about how renorming the tests can affect who is classified as retarded (have IQ tests ever been more than just one of many factors involved in diagnosing a child as retarded?). then comes Ravi's great revelation!!! Flynn doesn't like Lynn's early studies of asian IQ, and instead of looking at new and better studies, proclaims asians lower IQ than whites, leaving only hard work to explain their success.

section 5. talks about Charles Murray/James Flynn debate on the Flynn effect and whether the black/white IQ gap is shrinking. MG adds an insult to Murray for good measure. the debate is available on video for those who would actually like to learn about this stuff without people screaming uninformed insults around. Flynn says the gap is smallest in infants and gets progressively larger until black adult IQ bottoms out at 83.4, and goes on to describe some environmental reasons that could contribute to this. It finally ends up with an interesting anomaly; in mixed race adoption studies it appears that having a white mother increases the child's IQ (at least in childhood).

Gladwell is one of those high IQ liberals who makes a good living off denying genetics and other common sense reasons for the way things are. He got smacked down pretty good recently for stating that early round NFL draft picks for quarterbacks turned out no better than late round picks. haha, you have to be pretty smart to think up a theory for something so implausible, even if it didn't hold up to scrutiny.

Capital Reach HTML Console the video of the debate between Murray/Flynn

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:Tb3gWw572LUJ:www.agi.harvard.edu/events/download.php%3Fid%3D66+WAIS+standardization&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=17&gl=ca Flynn's data for declaring a shrinking of the black/white gap

oops, it looks like the Harvard link to Flynn's data is broken. I'll try to find another

Black Americans reduce the racial IQ gap: Evidence from standardized samples grrrr, I hate PDFs

http://www.brookings.edu/views/paper...0060619_IQ.pdf I hate how this message board works

http://www.brookings.edu/views/pape...kings.edu/views/paper/dickens/20060619_IQ.pdf sorry, you'll have to cut and paste the addy,add the extra w ww.brookings.edu/views/paper/dickens/20060619_IQ.pdf

Last edited:
IQ only measures 2 kinds of intelligence out of many.

it may very well be that Japanese have more of these 2 kinds.

but they also seem to lack in areas like creativity.

all they do is imitate Europeans. but they do it very well.

IQ only measures 2 kinds of intelligence out of many.

it may very well be that Japanese have more of these 2 kinds.

but they also seem to lack in areas like creativity.

all they do is imitate Europeans. but they do it very well.

NE asian civilizations have stressed conforming for thousands of years. while this may have started out as just a tendency, evolution has strengthened it. on the other hand white civilization has valued mavericks who change the system of thinking.

Forum List

Back