The Aristocrats

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
I'm really excited for this movie, even though I'm sure I'll have to wait for it to come to video before I get to see it.

The movie is a documentary that was the brainchild of Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller. The majority of the film consists of various comedians telling one joke. The joke is old, it dates back to vaudeville, but it is structured as such that the comedian is given lots of lee-way to make it his own. The real joke behind the joke is that the punchline is really stupid and unfunny, so the humor in it comes from the comedian's input in the middle section. Since I'm having trouble explaining it, let me just sort of tell it...

"A family walks into a talent agent's office and says they have a great family act for him. He tells them to show him their routine..."

This is where the comedian gets to make it his own, (usually) getting as dirty and graphic as they possibly can. Basically, the point is, the act is really disgusting and offensive.

"The talent agent, in disbelief, asks 'what do you call this act?' The family replies 'The Aristocrats."

See what I mean? Terrible joke. Really, the joke is not about making the audience laugh, it's more about making the other comedians in the club laugh by pissing off the entire audience. But anyway, the movie is more than just comedians telling the joke, it's more an exploration of the effect of humor on the human psyche, and the relationship between humor and just plain offensiveness.

Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I want to see it is because I've read that Bob Saget's (yep, Danny Tanner) interpretation of the joke is by far the most offensive and scatological and just generally gross, and I really want to see that!

Here's a short list of some of the people featured in the movie:

Bob Saget
Carrot Top
Gilbert Gottfried
Drew Carey
George Carlin
Carrie Fisher
Whoopie Goldberg
Eric Idle
Dom Irrera
The Smothers Brothers
Robin Williams
Steven Wright
Trey Parker and Matt Stone (they did a short South Park bit for the movie)

...just to name a few. It's ridiculous how many famous names they got to be in this thing. Can't wait!

Oh, yeah, there is also a lot of controversy surrounding this movie because AMC, one of the largest theater chains in the country, is refusing to carry the film. It's funny that a movie that has absolutely no sex or violence is being censored and was rejected for an R-rating.

I did a little searching and found the South Park bit from the movie. I'm linking it here, but please be warned that it is VERY VERY VERY offensive, probably the most offensive thing I've ever seen on the internet or otherwise. It contains, among other things, jokes about pedophilia and 9/11. Watch at your own risk!

Cartman the Aristocrat

I don't think she's a stand-up, but she is usually pretty vulgar and generally un-Leah in interviews, so maybe that's where they got her clip from.

It's not all comedians on there, there are some regular celebrities, too.

Just read that in its 4-theater opening, it made $65,000 per screen the first weekend!

That's 20th of highest theater average for an opening weekend opening weekend and 24th of theater average of all time. Not bad.

Dan said:
Oh, yeah, there is also a lot of controversy surrounding this movie because AMC, one of the largest theater chains in the country, is refusing to carry the film. It's funny that a movie that has absolutely no sex or violence is being censored and was rejected for an R-rating.

I did a little searching and found the South Park bit from the movie. I'm linking it here, but please be warned that it is VERY VERY VERY offensive, probably the most offensive thing I've ever seen on the internet or otherwise. It contains, among other things, jokes about pedophilia and 9/11. Watch at your own risk!

Cartman the Aristocrat

Just saw the clip....Oh My God !

Forum List

Back