The Argument For and Against Raising the Minimum Wage to $15/hr

I hear a lot of people always discussing whether or not to raise the minimum wage, but it seems like everyone is so one-sided and rarely looks at the other end of the spectrum. I made a video that just stated the clear points that are always emphasized on both sides of the debate. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the points I made and your position on the issue itself?

An excessive minimum wage separates the value of the labor provided from the increase in value of the product/service given by said labor. The result is cost increases that some products/services cannot afford, lumping more work onto less workers to keep prices level, or automation.

That, and people who used to make $15 an hour on merit, are now lumped in with "minimum wage workers", and will now either demand more pay, or take those easier jobs, pushing out the people worth $8 an hour into unemployment.

The question should be if those $8 workers are enabled to have a life that is worthy of a human being. If the economy conditions does not allow that, something is wrong, indeed. And wage is not everything. Protection from dismissal is another issue that capitalist lobbyists fear like the devil. America has hardly dismissal protection. Of course, dismissal protection and a higher minimum wage would cost millions of jobs because the companies have just hired millions they actually don´t need and would fire them over anger :rolleyes:

I hear a lot of people always discussing whether or not to raise the minimum wage, but it seems like everyone is so one-sided and rarely looks at the other end of the spectrum. I made a video that just stated the clear points that are always emphasized on both sides of the debate. I was wondering what your thoughts were on the points I made and your position on the issue itself?

An excessive minimum wage separates the value of the labor provided from the increase in value of the product/service given by said labor. The result is cost increases that some products/services cannot afford, lumping more work onto less workers to keep prices level, or automation.

That, and people who used to make $15 an hour on merit, are now lumped in with "minimum wage workers", and will now either demand more pay, or take those easier jobs, pushing out the people worth $8 an hour into unemployment.

The question should be if those $8 workers are enabled to have a life that is worthy of a human being. If the economy conditions does not allow that, something is wrong, indeed. And wage is not everything. Protection from dismissal is another issue that capitalist lobbyists fear like the devil. America has hardly dismissal protection. Of course, dismissal protection and a higher minimum wage would cost millions of jobs because the companies have just hired millions they actually don´t need and would fire them over anger :rolleyes:

So you want to pay people more money for work that isn't worth the value provided, AND make it so you can't get rid of them?

You understand economics like a Pomeranian understands algebra.

So you want to pay people more money for work that isn't worth the value provided, AND make it so you can't get rid of them?

I just said that the wage needs to be enough to live. I did not say it must be $15. However, if the wage that is needed to live cannot be provided by many companies the government must act and
a) must subsidize the wages or lighten the tax burden for the affected in the first place
b) take action to fix that problem (probably requiring extensive reforms).

I just said that the wage needs to be enough to live. I did not say it must be $15. However, if the wage that is needed to live cannot be provided by many companies the government must act and
a) must subsidize the wages or lighten the tax burden for the affected in the first place

Actually that is already happening, or don't you hear progressive whine that Walmart and fast food workers get food stamps and subsidies?

Who the fuck appointed you chancellor of what a person's time and labor is worth?

It's actually the market that figures it out, despite progressive's attempts to change that. Can you justify a $15 per hour wage based on the value said person provides as a fry cook/order taker/cleaner at a McDonalds?

Actually that is already happening, or don't you hear progressive whine that Walmart and fast food workers get food stamps and subsidies?

We don´t have Walmart here. Once we had one in my place of birth, Wuppertal. But Walmart completely withdrew from Germany despite its big mouthed claims that it is going to take over the entire market by price war that it would win due to its huge cash reserves. So no, I have no clue what Walmart is paying to its staff.

Give me a W "W"!
Give me a A "A"!
Give me a L "L"!
Give me a M "M"!
Give me a A "A"!
Give me a R "R"!
Give me a T "T"!

And don´t forget: no relationships between employees!
If you are hungry, order some government food stamps (sinister grin)!
And (some illegal Mexicans pass by) - you are fired!

Forum List

Back