The Arab World: Waking From Its Sleep

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by SAYIT, Oct 23, 2012.

1. SAYIT

SAYIT Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,729
    The Arab world: Waking from its sleep
    A quiet revolution has begun in the Arab world; it will be complete only when the last failed dictatorship is voted out
    Jul 23rd 2009 | from the print edition

WHAT ails the Arabs? The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) this week published the fifth in a series of hard-hitting reports on the state of the Arab world. It makes depressing reading. The Arabs are a dynamic and inventive people whose long and proud history [pre-1492 of course] includes fabulous contributions to art, culture, science and, of course, religion. The score of modern Arab states, on the other hand, have been impressive mainly for their consistent record of failure.

They have, for a start, failed to make their people free: six Arab countries have an outright ban on political parties and the rest restrict them slyly. They have failed to make their people rich: despite their oil, the UN reports that about two out of five people in the Arab world live on $2 or less a day. They have failed to keep their people safe: the report argues that overpowerful internal security forces often turn the Arab state into a menace to its own people. And they are about to fail their young people. The UNDP reckons the Arab world must create 50m new jobs by 2020 to accommodate a growing, youthful workforce—virtually impossible on present trends.
    more: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...l4HQBg&usg=AFQjCNHYbfDjTQoocCLSbTn1eoglAE6x5g

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. MJB12741

MJB12741 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    Yes but you gotta love the Arab world for the Arab Spring. Now over 50,000 terrorists killed within their own countries. Over 30,000 dead in Syria alone. LONG LIVE THE ARAB SPRING!

3. SAYIT

SAYIT Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,729
    I like to believe that sort of cheering is tongue-in-cheek, MJ, but it still makes you look childish and ugly.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. pbel

pbel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +907
    I hate to admit it, but I will...deep down, I think we both support peace and prosperity in the ME...

5. SAYIT

SAYIT Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,729
    I certainly do and for obvious reasons but according to the article even peace and oil does not necessarily translate into prosperity in the Arab World.
    "They have failed to make their people rich: despite their oil, the UN reports that about two out of five people in the Arab world live on $2 or less a day."
    Those UN reports spell out why.

6. MJB12741

MJB12741 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    Sorry but I don't support Arab terrorists.

7. ForeverYoung436

ForeverYoung436 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    In contrast, Israel is a leader in technology, agriculture and science. Recently a report came out on the 200 best universities in the world. Hebrew University, Tel-Aviv University and Ben-Gurion University in the Negev were on the list, but not one Arab university.

8. SAYIT

SAYIT Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,729
    Nor does any normal person but that doesn't justify laughing at the deaths of 50,000 dead people, not all or even most of whom were terrorists. Just tell me you meant it facetiously.

9. toastman

toastman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,961
    Relax Sayit, he wasn't laughing, he was just being sarcastic. Nobody on this forum is happy about the thousands of slain Syrians

10. SAYIT

SAYIT Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,729
    You are right to be proud of what Israel has accomplished in just 64 years but that doesn't help the hundreds of millions of Arab Middle Easterners who, as the UNHD Reports document, struggle under the yoke of failed gov'ts and leadership.