The annoyed boss

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
The angry boss swore as the underling fidgeted nervously.

"Simmons, will you please quit chattering and squirming, What's wrong with you?"

Simmons sat silently. His eyes began to well up.

"So you're gonna cry now? Oh jesus."

Mr. Billings walked out of the board room flustered, disgusted. He went to his office.

Said1 said:
What's this?

Underling doesn't work well either. Use cafone and change it to a mafia story. :laugh:

Just kidding.

Why do you hate me? Just kidding! :dance:

I thought the boss was annoyed?

Why is he annoyed, mid-life crisis looming and always in a perpetual state of anxiety since his friends started dropping dead a few years ago?

Said1 said:
I thought the boss was annoyed?

Why is he annoyed, mid-life crisis looming and always in a perpetual state of anxiety since his friends started dropping dead a few years ago?

He's annoyed at the weakness, immaturity, and incompetence of his workers. It's certainly not like when he was coming up through the ranks. He needs a scotch.

rtwngAvngr said:
He's annoyed at the weakness, immaturity, and incompetence of his workers. It's certainly not like when he was coming up through the ranks. He needs a scotch.

It's usually the boss who lacks competence and maturity. Probably all the scotch.

ooh...hope you don't mind if I play, too....

rtwngAvngr said:
The angry boss swore as the underling fidgeted nervously.

"Simmons, will you please quit chattering and squirming, What's wrong with you?"

Simmons sat silently. His eyes began to well up.

Mr. Billings walked out of the board room flustered, disgusted. He went to his office.

Mr. Billings swore under his breath at his newest trainee whose words were coming out of his mouth in an incoherant stream.

"Simmons will you please stop your chattering and sit still, dammit. What on earth is wrong with you?"

Simmons immediately went silent, his eyes welling with tears.

"Oh, Jaysus.... you're not going to start to cry, are you?"....

On that note, Billings turned on his heels and walked out of the boardroom, disgusted by the talentless, gutless group of trainees being turned out by what passed for universities these days.

jillian said:
ooh...hope you don't mind if I play, too....

Mr. Billings swore under his breath at his newest trainee whose words were coming out of his mouth in an incoherant stream.

"Simmons will you please stop your chattering and sit still, dammit. What on earth is wrong with you?"

Simmons immediately went silent, his eyes welling with tears.

"Oh, Jaysus.... you're not going to start to cry, are you?"....

On that note, Billings turned on his heels and walked out of the boardroom, disgusted by the talentless, gutless group of trainees being turned out by what passed for universities these days.

That's actually a good rewrite, incorporating the flavor of stuff i thought of later. You ARE good for something! :teeth:

I am little light on adjective use, because really I want to be a screenwriter. Adjectives are basically useless in that context.

rtwngAvngr said:
I am little light on adjective use, because really I want to be a screenwriter. Adjectives are basically useless in that context.

Ah...didn't realize that from that little bit. Seemed more prose than screenplay. Good luck with the writing. Real competative field to choose.

jillian said:
Ah...didn't realize that from that little bit. Seemed more prose than screenplay. Good luck with the writing. Real competative field to choose.

Yeah. Well. That little bit was prose.

rtwngAvngr said:
The boss swore
you can tell he's angry bc he's swearing, cut out "angrily."
as the underling fidgeted.
fidgeting is a nervous activity; no need to reiterate. Cut out "nervously."

"Simmons, will you please quit chattering
was Simmons chattering?
squirming, What's wrong with you?"

Simmons sat silently.
maybe: "Simmons ceased motion, but his eyes began to well up."
Come on, now! At least capitalize the Lord's name, even if you ARE using it in vain! :tng:

Maybe: "Mr. Billings strode from the board room and slammed his office door." Using stronger verbs eliminates the need for many adjectives and adverbs, conveys the emotion without the extra words. This, you said, was your goal.

So, in summary:

The boss swore as the underling fidgeted. "Simmons, will you please quit squirming? What's wrong with you?"

SImmons ceased motion, but his eyes began to well up.

"So you're going to cry, now? Oh Jesus!" Mr. Billings strode from the board room and slammed his office door.

That's my rewrite! :)

mom4 said:
you can tell he's angry bc he's swearing, cut out "angrily." fidgeting is a nervous activity; no need to reiterate. Cut out "nervously."

was Simmons chattering? maybe: "Simmons ceased motion, but his eyes began to well up."
Come on, now! At least capitalize the Lord's name, even if you ARE using it in vain! :tng:

Maybe: "Mr. Billings strode from the board room and slammed his office door." Using stronger verbs eliminates the need for many adjectives and adverbs, conveys the emotion without the extra words. This, you said, was your goal.

So, in summary:

The boss swore as the underling fidgeted. "Simmons, will you please quit squirming? What's wrong with you?"

SImmons ceased motion, but his eyes began to well up.

"So you're going to cry, now? Oh Jesus!" Mr. Billings strode from the board room and slammed his office door.

That's my rewrite! :)

Yes. Cleaner. Me likey.

Just for fun- the employee's story:

Mr. Billings tried to camouflage his tears as Simmons squirmed in his seat.

Oh, Jeez, thought Simmons, my usual horrid timing. Why did I have to come in here now to ask for a raise?

As he fidgeted around, trying to find an excuse to leave, Simmons only succeeded in making the boss even more upset. The problem was temporarily solved when Mr. Billings fled the room in embarassment and slammed the office door.

Stunned and disheartened, Simmons was determined to log on to Monster.com that very afternoon.

Abbey Normal said:
Just for fun- the employee's story:

Mr. Billings tried to camouflage his tears as Simmons squirmed in his seat.

Oh, Jeez, thought Simmons, my usual horrid timing. Why did I have to come in here now to ask for a raise?

As he fidgeted around, trying to find an excuse to leave, Simmons only succeeded in making the boss even more upset. The problem was temporarily solved when Mr. Billings fled the room in embarassment and slammed the office door.

Stunned and disheartened, Simmons was determined to log on to Monster.com that very afternoon.

Lol. That's the spirit!

Forum List

Back