The angst over "Patriot deflated footballs " generate 508,000 results!!

The NFL requires that footballs be inflated to 12.5 to 13.5 psi.

The balls in question were underinflated by as much as 2 psi. Some of them held "only" 10.5 psi.

Clearly, this must be the reason the Patriots scored 45 points while the Colts scored only 7.

So if you cheat in order to gain such an inconsequential advantage, doesn't that make you pretty stupid?
You mean, the Patriots knew in advance they were going to win by 38 points, and inflation pressure wouldn't have mattered?

Or was it possible that the score could have been (say) 16-14 with one minute left to play, and the accuracy of a coming field goal (which IS affected by ball pressure) would make the difference between going to the Super Bowl, or going home?

Nope, what I am saying is that if deflating the balls does not create a significant advantage, why cheat (and run the risks of getting caught cheating)?

After the Patriots got caught video taping the Jests' defensive signals, the owner of the team asked Cheatin' Bill "on a scale of 1 to 100, how much did it help us?"

Cheatin' Bill replied "one"

The owner said, "then you're an idiot."

Right. It "narrows" the results to only the ones that are related to the subject. Oh, the horror.

If you searched only for "footballs", you'd get a zillion hits. But most would not be related to the deflated-footballs-Patriots controversy. Is that what you want?

Don't think you understand how a search works. If you do a search for "Patriots football" google will return 86 million results. "Patriots" will turn up hits. "Football" will turn up hits. But Google is going to try to return results that apply to both "Patriots" and to "football." Many of those results won't actually be related to the New England Patriots football team, but Google thinks they might be relevant.

Now, do a search for "Will Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez ever play football in prison like that Adam Sandler Movie" and you get 18,900 results. Again, many of those will not be related to Aaron Hernandez or the potential for him to play football on a prison team. But the larger number of total keywords will necessarily lead to fewer total results, because Google is trying to screen for results that deliver hits on at least most of the keywords.

So the fact that a three word search delivers more results than a six word search does not indicate anything about the public's concern with one subject or another. It is a result of how search engines operate.

When the Patriots "Spygate" broke, I recall several coaches saying, "We all do it, what's the big deal?".
I heard a former player today say on radio, "I used to tip a ball boy to 'fix' the balls for me". The host said, "So, you paid the ball boy to deflate to balls for you", "no", replied the former player, "I didn't pay him, I tipped him, Paying him would be illegal".
Truth be known.................I'd bet it's widespread around the league.

When the Patriots "Spygate" broke, I recall several coaches saying, "We all do it, what's the big deal?".
I heard a former player today say on radio, "I used to tip a ball boy to 'fix' the balls for me". The host said, "So, you paid the ball boy to deflate to balls for you", "no", replied the former player, "I didn't pay him, I tipped him, Paying him would be illegal".
Truth be known.................I'd bet it's widespread around the league.

"everybody's doing it"

Yeah, did that argument work when your mamma caught you smoking?

Cheating is cheating - you gotta punish the repeat offenders even more harshly.

Forum List

Back