The Amish Mafia?

Use to love the discovery channel. Cant stand reality TV so they're pretty much a no watch channel nowadays.

If reality TV were real it might be interesting...but it would most likely be illegal.
I like reality TV -- but only when the reality is real.

I believe a lot of what we see on Amish Mafia is real but the overall context is manipulated to present a fabricated and exaggerated impression. I do enjoy watching Amish Mafia because some of the characters and situations are entertaining and the show does offer a rare glimpse of the Amish world.

Lol. I don't know about all that. It's just a crappy show and Discovery is now just another crappy channel. Sad really. I remember when they had some good and interesting programs on at one time.
Sadly, I must agree that the quality of the Discovery channel has declined. It seems there aren't many truly interesting situations to cover anymore so the producers are resorting to theatrical gimmickry.

But Discover is still better than a lot of the junk the various channels have been shoveling at us lately.

Well, not Cops or The First 48. Those are both real. Reason why I watch them. However, Cops has just gotten boring over the years. All they ever really do is car chases, prostitution stings and drug stings, which can be exciting occasionally but not every single episode. It gets old.
While the aspect of COPS you refer to as boring is in fact very repetitive that fact serves to reveal an important circumstance -- that of the wasteful futility of the drug war!

The so-called War On Drugs has been going on for over three decades, at enormous cost and with a unnecessarily destructive effect on the social order.

The simple fact of the matter is drugs are more readily available today than when Ronald Reagan decided to accelerate Nixon's plainly failed effort to eliminate recreational drug use by Americans. Year after year, billions of dollars are wasted on doing nothing more then creating the world's most imprisoned population with absolutely no effect whatsoever on the amount of recreational drug use by Americans.

This, in spite of the familiar observation that one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Havent seen You're screwed.
The best thing about Dual Survivor is watching em over react to everything.

I'm pretty much into surviving in the woods type stuff so it's pretty damn funny.
I really like Alaska, The Final Frontier.

I wouldn't want to live that kind of life but I do enjoy watching the way those hardy people cope with Nature.

So I stumbled on to The Amish Mafia last night, right at the beginning of the show, and I'm dead serious, there were five or six times I caught myself with mouth agape, thinking what the fuck is this?

So tell me, what the fuck is this?

Is it real? At all?

It is a reality show.

Well, not Cops or The First 48. Those are both real. Reason why I watch them. However, Cops has just gotten boring over the years. All they ever really do is car chases, prostitution stings and drug stings, which can be exciting occasionally but not every single episode. It gets old.
While the aspect of COPS you refer to as boring is in fact very repetitive that fact serves to reveal an important circumstance -- that of the wasteful futility of the drug war!

The so-called War On Drugs has been going on for over three decades, at enormous cost and with a unnecessarily destructive effect on the social order.

The simple fact of the matter is drugs are more readily available today than when Ronald Reagan decided to accelerate Nixon's plainly failed effort to eliminate recreational drug use by Americans. Year after year, billions of dollars are wasted on doing nothing more then creating the world's most imprisoned population with absolutely no effect whatsoever on the amount of recreational drug use by Americans.

This, in spite of the familiar observation that one definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I agree to an extent. However, we must remember that SOME drugs can make people paranoid, dangerous and violent, especially if they already suffer from some kind of mental illness, which a lot of drug users do suffer from and try to self-medicate with drugs. I've got no problem with weed or legalizing it, but I hesitate when it comes to some of the heavier drugs, like crack, heroin, etc.

Havent seen You're screwed.
The best thing about Dual Survivor is watching em over react to everything.

I'm pretty much into surviving in the woods type stuff so it's pretty damn funny.
I really like Alaska, The Final Frontier.

I wouldn't want to live that kind of life but I do enjoy watching the way those hardy people cope with Nature.

I could get into it if it weren't for the looooooong ass winters.

I agree to an extent. However, we must remember that SOME drugs can make people paranoid, dangerous and violent, especially if they already suffer from some kind of mental illness, which a lot of drug users do suffer from and try to self-medicate with drugs. I've got no problem with weed or legalizing it, but I hesitate when it comes to some of the heavier drugs, like crack, heroin, etc.
I feel approximately the same about the the heavier drugs. But the point is the so-called "War On Drugs" is doing and has done absolutely nothing in the way of controlling or reducing the use of any recreational drug. In fact, drugs are more available today than ever before -- and they cost less!

So who, aside from the increasingly militarized and financially wasteful law-enforcement establishment, derives the slightest benefit from the drug war? The War On Drugs has become a business! It serves no constructive purpose whatsoever but it employs tens of thousands of people, and prison construction is in fact the only remaining growth industry in America.

If you will watch the "ride-along" tv documentary, COPS, you will see that four out of every five activities the average police officers engage in are somehow related to drugs. And in most examples no one is being demonstrably harmed by the possession or sale of the drugs. In many cases a high-speed auto pursuit results in an arrest for possession of drugs -- very often marijuana.

If you think about it for awhile it becomes quite clear that this situation is best described as organized, indoctrinated, insanity!

I feel approximately the same about the the heavier drugs. But the point is the so-called "War On Drugs" is doing and has done absolutely nothing in the way of controlling or reducing the use of any recreational drug. In fact, drugs are more available today than ever before -- and they cost less!

So who, aside from the increasingly militarized and financially wasteful law-enforcement establishment, derives the slightest benefit from the drug war? The War On Drugs has become a business! It serves no constructive purpose whatsoever but it employs tens of thousands of people, and prison construction is in fact the only remaining growth industry in America.

If you will watch the "ride-along" tv documentary, COPS, you will see that four out of every five activities the average police officers engage in are somehow related to drugs. And in most examples no one is being demonstrably harmed by the possession or sale of the drugs. In many cases a high-speed auto pursuit results in an arrest for possession of drugs -- very often marijuana.

If you think about it for awhile it becomes quite clear that this situation is best described as organized, indoctrinated, insanity!
Funny thing about it...it is harder to buy alcohol than recreational drugs....especially for kids.

Oh, I agree. However, a lot of the people who are actually in prison for drug possession charges were caught doing something else and just happened to get caught with drugs on them, exempting drug stings, which I would actually consider entrapment.

However, my point stands, that some people who are in jail on drug charges were caught breaking and entering or other criminal activities and drugs were just another charge. I agree with the premise of your post though. The war on drugs is a failure obviously. I also agree that we shouldn't really be locking people up just for being in possession of drugs. It's silly when they are only hurting themselves.

I'm also against the prostitution stings and think that prostitution should be legal because then we could protect minors from this abusive business more efficiently.

Funny thing about it...it is harder to buy alcohol than recreational drugs....especially for kids.

Well, in some instances it might be. However, teens can get both pretty easily. All they need to get alcohol is a buyer, and it's pretty simple to pay off a homeless dude or whatever to go in and buy you alcohol. That's what we used to do when we were underage to get alcohol for a party or whatever. Lol. That, or raid a parent's liquor cabinet. :lol:

Forum List

Back