The American President

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Like most of the people in this country I was avoiding listening to Obama's SOTU tonight, and I ended up watching The American President. I remember the first time I watched the movie as Shepard walked into the briefing room and gave his little speech.

I disagree with almost every thing the guy stands for, and would argue with his policies left and right if he were real, but I would be behind him 100% because he would be understands what America is really about.

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms.

Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.

We need a President that is willing to stand up and fight for his beliefs, whatever they are. One who understands that the price of freedom is not civility, but yelling at the top of your lungs about what matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRVbWMvi7c&feature=player_embedded#!

Forum List

Back