The American double standard.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by deepthunk, Sep 8, 2011.

1. deepthunk

deepthunk Justadude with a keyboard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Now that we know the C.I.A. under the Bush administration sent prisoners to Libya under its “rendition” program specifically to be tortured, and since we are seeking to prosecute Kaddafi specifically for torturing (among other things). I wonder if the Obama administration will seek prosecution of former president George W. Bush for war crimes. After all there is a specific federal law that allows Americans to be prosecuted for crimes committed overseas, and because he knew suspects would be tortured in Libya and in fact sent them there for that vary reason, George W Bush was in fact complicit in those crimes.
    Knowing the stance of the Obama administration I’m guessing we’re not going to see any prosecution. After all, here in America the laws we enforce on the majority of people don’t apply to rich people like George Bush, just like the war crimes prosecutions we seek for foreign leaders shall not be sought to our own, even when our own leaders are complicit in the vary same crimes we’re prosecuting others for.
    What an interesting double standard we have.
    :hmpf:

2. Zagg

Zagg small el libertarian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    And also the double standard that the US gov't. is perfectly happy to deal with the "bad guys" in secret whilst execrating them in public.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  3. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    No American President, former or present, is going to be prosecuted for anything. That's if we want to continue on as a multi party democracy.

4. deepthunk

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Too true.
    Supporting the Libyan people against Kaddafi was a step in the right direction, but I wonder how many cozy, back-door relationships our government maintains with dictators to this day.

5. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Plenty.

6. Zagg

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think you're probably right. But what about the Nixon case? What if Ford hadn't pardoned him?

7. Zagg

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'd bet that it's standard operating procedure.

8. deepthunk

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I would disagree of course, there is no reason a former president can’t be prosecuted. One party might “scream bloody murder” as they say, but that would hardly destroy democracy. If a former president is guilty then let him be held to the same legal and ethical standard as any other citizen, a president is not above the law any more than a king.

9. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Evidence?

10. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    But do you want future presidents to second guess every move they make worried about how the opposing party may spin things in an effort to ruin the legacy of the president?

For example, I am sure it would have been easy to prosecute for the dropping of the bomb and KNOWINGLY killing tens of thousands of civilians who had absolutely nothing to do with the war short of being of Japanese citizenship.

It is a very dangerous thing to prosecute a President for actions he/she may have taken to protect the country.

Prosecute for stealing? Lying? Sex with a minor? Sure....no problem here with that.