The American double standard.

deepthunk

Justadude with a keyboard
Feb 19, 2011
Now that we know the C.I.A. under the Bush administration sent prisoners to Libya under its “rendition” program specifically to be tortured, and since we are seeking to prosecute Kaddafi specifically for torturing (among other things). I wonder if the Obama administration will seek prosecution of former president George W. Bush for war crimes. After all there is a specific federal law that allows Americans to be prosecuted for crimes committed overseas, and because he knew suspects would be tortured in Libya and in fact sent them there for that vary reason, George W Bush was in fact complicit in those crimes.
Knowing the stance of the Obama administration I’m guessing we’re not going to see any prosecution. After all, here in America the laws we enforce on the majority of people don’t apply to rich people like George Bush, just like the war crimes prosecutions we seek for foreign leaders shall not be sought to our own, even when our own leaders are complicit in the vary same crimes we’re prosecuting others for.
What an interesting double standard we have.
:hmpf:

Now that we know the C.I.A. under the Bush administration sent prisoners to Libya under its “rendition” program specifically to be tortured, and since we are seeking to prosecute Kaddafi specifically for torturing (among other things). I wonder if the Obama administration will seek prosecution of former president George W. Bush for war crimes. After all there is a specific federal law that allows Americans to be prosecuted for crimes committed overseas, and because he knew suspects would be tortured in Libya and in fact sent them there for that vary reason, George W Bush was in fact complicit in those crimes.
Knowing the stance of the Obama administration I’m guessing we’re not going to see any prosecution. After all, here in America the laws we enforce on the majority of people don’t apply to rich people like George Bush, just like the war crimes prosecutions we seek for foreign leaders shall not be sought to our own, even when our own leaders are complicit in the vary same crimes we’re prosecuting others for.

And also the double standard that the US gov't. is perfectly happy to deal with the "bad guys" in secret whilst execrating them in public.

Last edited:
No American President, former or present, is going to be prosecuted for anything. That's if we want to continue on as a multi party democracy.

And also the double standard that the US gov't. is perfectly happy to deal with the "bad guys" in public whilst doing business with them in secret.

Too true.
Supporting the Libyan people against Kaddafi was a step in the right direction, but I wonder how many cozy, back-door relationships our government maintains with dictators to this day.

And also the double standard that the US gov't. is perfectly happy to deal with the "bad guys" in public whilst doing business with them in secret.

Too true.
Supporting the Libyan people against Kaddafi was a step in the right direction, but I wonder how many cozy, back-door relationships our government maintains with dictators to this day.

Plenty.

No American President, former or present, is going to be prosecuted for anything. That's if we want to continue on as a multi party democracy.

I think you're probably right. But what about the Nixon case? What if Ford hadn't pardoned him?

Too true.

Plenty.

I'd bet that it's standard operating procedure.

I would disagree of course, there is no reason a former president can’t be prosecuted. One party might “scream bloody murder” as they say, but that would hardly destroy democracy. If a former president is guilty then let him be held to the same legal and ethical standard as any other citizen, a president is not above the law any more than a king.

Evidence?

I would disagree of course, there is no reason a former president can’t be prosecuted. One party might “scream bloody murder” as they say, but that would hardly destroy democracy. If a former president is guilty then let him be held to the same legal and ethical standard as any other citizen, a president is not above the law any more than a king.

But do you want future presidents to second guess every move they make worried about how the opposing party may spin things in an effort to ruin the legacy of the president?

For example, I am sure it would have been easy to prosecute for the dropping of the bomb and KNOWINGLY killing tens of thousands of civilians who had absolutely nothing to do with the war short of being of Japanese citizenship.

It is a very dangerous thing to prosecute a President for actions he/she may have taken to protect the country.

Prosecute for stealing? Lying? Sex with a minor? Sure....no problem here with that.

Evidence?

I guess you don’t follow the news vary closely. Here’s some links.
New Documents Uncover Libya, CIA Relationship | News One
Secret documents show Libya, CIA ties - Israel News, Ynetnews
Libya: CIA flight taking dissident back to Tripoli 'refuelled on British island’ in Diego Garcia’ - Telegraph
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_18823797
Libyan intelligence documents show ties to CIA - Yahoo! News

As was demonstrated by the right wing's effort to convict President Clinton of high crimes and misdemeanors for private matters. If Bush did what is alleged, such behavior justly deserves a full hearing, after an information is filed making specific allegations.

If such evidence is being withheld by present or former government officials, an obstruction of justice indictment would be appropriate. None of which will happen though, for lady justice has always peeked, and in this century our Justices on the Supreme Court have tossed the scales aside.

Evidence?

I guess you don’t follow the news vary closely. Here’s some links.
New Documents Uncover Libya, CIA Relationship | News One
Secret documents show Libya, CIA ties - Israel News, Ynetnews
Libya: CIA flight taking dissident back to Tripoli 'refuelled on British island’ in Diego Garcia’ - Telegraph
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_18823797
Libyan intelligence documents show ties to CIA - Yahoo! News

Just as I thought, no evidence of torture.

Evidence?

There is always an assumption that a President (any President) knows everything that goes on within the government from every agency. Whether Bush knew or did not is anyone's guess, but I laugh every time I hear someone say that a President should be prosecuted when it is all based on an assumption that said President knew and was complicit in the supposed illegal action.

As was demonstrated by the right wing's effort to convict President Clinton of high crimes and misdemeanors for private matters. If Bush did what is alleged, such behavior justly deserves a full hearing, after an information is filed making specific allegations.

If such evidence is being withheld by present or former government officials, an obstruction of justice indictment would be appropriate. None of which will happen though, for lady justice has always peeked, and in this century our Justices on the Supreme Court have tossed the scales aside.

whoa...

Lets not spin the truth.

The right wanted to prosecute him for lying under oath.

You can disagree all you want.

It would have a chilling effect on the Presidency. Not to mention relations between parties.

Ain't gonna happen.

:lol:

We have a fascist government, that's why no American president will ever be tried for war crimes. We don't have a democracy, we don't even have multi parties, the dems and the reps are the same, that's why Bush never prosecuted Clinton and why Obama will never prosecute Bush.

Other than starting another goofy anti-Bush rant thread... what's your point?

:lol:

We have a fascist government, that's why no American president will ever be tried for war crimes. We don't have a democracy, we don't even have multi parties, the dems and the reps are the same, that's why Bush never prosecuted Clinton and why Obama will never prosecute Bush.

What crime did Bush violate? And please provide sufficient evidence.

Forum List

Back