The American Courts have went Crazy

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
The legal arguments behind where terrorists are tried (military, civil,criminal, international) is a perfect example of the American courts going crazy. BUT I want to discuss a different craziness in the American courts, and "limit" the debate to the two plea-bargains below. There are several pleas by the way, and these two strike me as crazy for an American court to even address. And there are a host of other court accepted acts that are really way out there. So for this debate, The Alford Plea and The Alternative Plea will be addressed. And by the way, these are found in political debate, just as what is occurring with terrorists.

=========
Alford plea (also referred to as Alford guilty plea) and Alford doctrine in the law of the United States is a guilty plea in criminal court, where the defendant does not admit the act and asserts innocence.Under the Alford plea the defendant admits that sufficient evidence exists with which the prosecution could likely convince a judge or jury to find the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Bibas argues, "These procedures may be constitutional and efficient, but they undermine key values served by admissions of guilt in open court. They undermine the procedural values of accuracy and public confidence in accuracy and fairness, by convicting innocent defendants and creating the perception that innocent defendants are being pressured into pleading guilty. More basically, they allow guilty defendants to avoid accepting
responsibility for their wrongs."

Alford plea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alternative pleading permits a party in a court action to argue multiple possibilities that may be mutually exclusive by making use of legal fiction.

A pleading in the alternative sets forth multiple claims or defenses either hypothetically or alternatively, such that if one of the claims or defenses are held invalid or insufficient, the other claims or defenses should still have to be answered.

example: "Say you sue me because you say my dog bit you. Well, now this is my defense: My dog doesn't bite. And second, in the alternative, my dog was tied up that night. And third, I don't believe you really got bit. And fourth, I don't have a dog." Normally such arguments would seem to cancel each other on their face, however, legally "even if" and "anyway" clauses need not be argued; mutually exclusive defenses can be advanced without excuses for their relationship to each other. Of course jurists might be influenced by dual defenses such as "my dog was tied up" and "I don't have a dog", but this must be weighed against the fact that defenses may not be allowed if they are introduced too late.

Alternative pleading - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Great observation, I imagine this thread will be hot a long time, if it finds its way to "law and Justice"

I don't tend to run all over the board posting, but to make my political point for why this is here.

Dictionary of Politics: Selected American and Foreign Political and Legal Terms defines the term Alford plea as: "A plea under which a defendant may choose to plead guilty, not because of an admission to the crime, but because the prosecutor has sufficient evidence to place a charge and to obtain conviction in court. The plea is commonly used in local and state courts in the United States." wiki

You have went stupid, again, shitao.

Translation: I am too dumb to debate anything legal, but start a thread on why buttons fall off my teddy bear.

Key words of advice for the fail that is shitao:

Learn English. Learn logic. Learn.

Did I piss in your cereal bowl again? Clearly, whatever your problem is, it is a personal one. What I enjoy about pissing you off, is you are the only one pissed off. I myself am enjoying some rock & roll playing in the background, and you are not even a thought in my mind.:eusa_angel:

The legal arguments behind where terrorists are tried (military, civil,criminal, international) is a perfect example of the American courts going crazy. BUT I want to discuss a different craziness in the American courts, and "limit" the debate to the two plea-bargains below. There are several pleas by the way, and these two strike me as crazy for an American court to even address. And there are a host of other court accepted acts that are really way out there. So for this debate, The Alford Plea and The Alternative Plea will be addressed. And by the way, these are found in political debate, just as what is occurrung with terrorists.

=========
Alford plea (also referred to as Alford guilty plea) and Alford doctrine in the law of the United States is a guilty plea in criminal court, where the defendant does not admit the act and asserts innocence.Under the Alford plea the defendant admits that sufficient evidence exists with which the prosecution could likely convince a judge or jury to find the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Bibas argues, "These procedures may be constitutional and efficient, but they undermine key values served by admissions of guilt in open court. They undermine the procedural values of accuracy and public confidence in accuracy and fairness, by convicting innocent defendants and creating the perception that innocent defendants are being pressured into pleading guilty. More basically, they allow guilty defendants to avoid accepting

Alternative pleading permits a party in a court action to argue multiple possibilities that may be mutually exclusive by making use of legal fiction.

A pleading in the alternative sets forth multiple claims or defenses either hypothetically or alternatively, such that if one of the claims or defenses are held invalid or insufficient, the other claims or defenses should still have to be answered.

example: "Say you sue me because you say my dog bit you. Well, now this is my defense: My dog doesn't bite. And second, in the alternative, my dog was tied up that night. And third, I don't believe you really got bit. And fourth, I don't have a dog." Normally such arguments would seem to cancel each other on their face, however, legally "even if" and "anyway" clauses need not be argued; mutually exclusive defenses can be advanced without excuses for their relationship to each other. Of course jurists might be influenced by dual defenses such as "my dog was tied up" and "I don't have a dog", but this must be weighed against the fact that defenses may not be allowed if they are introduced too late.

This is a PERFECT example of why terrorists should NOT be tried in civilian courts.

They are terrorists, and should fall under military jurisdiction.

Then all this silly mumbo jumbo is just that.... silly mumbo jumbo. :eusa_hand:

Translation: I am too dumb to debate anything legal, but start a thread on why buttons fall off my teddy bear.

Did I piss in your cereal bowl again? Clearly, whatever your problem is, it is a personal one. What I enjoy about pissing you off, is you are the only one pissed off. I myself am enjoying some rock & roll playing in the background, and you are not even a thought in my mind.:eusa_angel:

Shitao:

You lack the ability to piss in my cereal and you lack the capacity to piss me off. I consider you a joke. Nothing more. And when I saw your functional illiteracy on display, I decided to tweak you over it. Your thin skin does the rest.

10 to 1 you still don't know what you wrote that is so ignorant.

Shitao:

You lack the ability to piss in my cereal and you lack the capacity to piss me off. I consider you a joke. Nothing more. And when I saw your functional illiteracy* on display, I decided to tweak you over it. Your thin skin does the rest.

10 to 1 you still don't know what you wrote that is so ignorant.

Great observation, I imagine this thread will be hot a long time, if it finds its way to "law and Justice"

I don't tend to run all over the board posting, but to make my political point for why this is here.

Dictionary of Politics: Selected American and Foreign Political and Legal Terms defines the term Alford plea as: "A plea under which a defendant may choose to plead guilty, not because of an admission to the crime, but because the prosecutor has sufficient evidence to place a charge and to obtain conviction in court. The plea is commonly used in local and state courts in the United States." wiki

Do you have a question?

My advice, if you're trying to sort out the rationale, is to watch a few reruns of Law & Order, which is the dramatic TV series but it is based on strict adherence to existing law and rules of procedure for both civil and criminal courts.

Do you have a question?

My advice, if you're trying to sort out the rationale, is to watch a few reruns of Law & Order, which is the dramatic TV series but it is based on strict adherence to existing law and rules of procedure for both civil and criminal courts.

Uhm. No. It's not. It's fiction and it's fictionalized.

Most of the crap the actors say in the TV Court Room would never be tolerated in a real Court of Law.

The legal arguments behind where terrorists are tried (military, civil,criminal, international) is a perfect example of the American courts going crazy. BUT I want to discuss a different craziness in the American courts, and "limit" the debate to the two plea-bargains below. There are several pleas by the way, and these two strike me as crazy for an American court to even address. And there are a host of other court accepted acts that are really way out there. So for this debate, The Alford Plea and The Alternative Plea will be addressed. And by the way, these are found in political debate, just as what is occurrung with terrorists.

=========

This is a PERFECT example of why terrorists should NOT be tried in civilian courts.

They are terrorists, and should fall under military jurisdiction.

Then all this silly mumbo jumbo is just that.... silly mumbo jumbo. :eusa_hand:

I am not sure the civil courts are not the proper venue, but I do agree the civil court is awash in these crazy procedures, and should be eliminated. Can you imagine facing the criminal in court after he harmed one of your family members? Where is the justice?

And I would be more happy with the military courts, if they were not biased. Would you prefer the military court for yourself, where you were made a suspect in a crime that you didn't commit??

Last edited:
lolcats-cat-blinds-abort-retry-fail_500x396.jpg

Do you have a question?

Most of the crap the actors say in the TV Court Room would never be tolerated in a real Court of Law.

Hmm, that's not what Fred Thompson said. :lol:

Law & Order, as well as the myriad medical programs, enjoy consultants (legal, medical) to assure the storylines accurately conform to technical facts. If not, they don't last too long.

Do you have a question?

Hmm, that's not what Fred Thompson said. :lol:

Law & Order, as well as the myriad medical programs, enjoy consultants (legal, medical) to assure the storylines accurately conform to technical facts. If not, they don't last too long.

You are entitled to believe whatever you wish. But, "advisers" and "consultants" notwithstanding, much (maybe most) of the idiocy that passes for legal argument on those TV Court shows (as well as the incredibly improper form of much of the questioning of witnesses) is quite unrealistic.

None of that shouldn't bother folks too much. It's just fiction and the point is often to discuss some legal topic of interest, not to be bound to legal technicalities. The shows are quite wildly inaccurate in many ways, but still constitute pretty good entertainment.

I worked with a couple of the screen-writers several years back, BEFORE they became writers. I respect the work they've done and the fact that they "busted the move" to change careers like that. But they'd be among the first to tell you that moving the narrative along for a 1 hour TV show is more important than technical accuracy. And so, they do cut corners quite a bit.

Forum List

Back