The American Combat Rifle

An M-14 hits nearly as hard. I do love my .308's

My older brother has a Springfield Armory M-14. I think he said it's a "match grade" (I probably have the term messed up).

If it could cook, he'd marry it.

Might it be a "National Match" M-14? (They were intended for use my military marksmanship teams.) My wife's friend also has one (I do NOT want to know what that cost), and it is amazing. No semiautomatic rifle should be THAT accurate!

Springfied Armory makes several simi-auto only versions of the M-14 for the civilian market including National Match and Super Match. They call their rifles M-1A. They also make versions of the M-1 Garand and 1911 A1 .45 ACP.
Springfield Armory

Last edited:
The Germans made the best weapons in WW2 - too many parts.

The Amis and Soviets Mass=produced - with theT34 tank and theShermans (thelatter ridiculed in Patton)

guesswho won the war?????????????????????????????????????/

Wrong as usual. The STG-44 (with lineage going back to the Mk42b) is the origin of all assault rifles today. The MG42 was (and probably still is in its MG3 form) the best GPMG ever made and they are made of easily manufactured parts requiring a minimum of machining.

The M16a1 was effective to 500 meters. I qualified on it at Pendelton at that range. Even the Army admitted it was accurate to 460 Meters. The A2 is more stable with a heavier barrel it is good to those ranges also. The claim the rifle is only effective to 300 yards is wrong. Perhaps the M4 is only good to 300 yards.

There are guys making accurised AR's that are capable of hitting all the way out to 800 meters with no problem. They use 1/8.5 twist rate barrels (some use 1/10) and shoot 80 grain VLD (Very Low Drag) projectiles.

A few years ago somebody (I can't remember who) developed the 6.8 Remington which gives better penetration at longer ranges.

...but I've read and heard enough about it to wonder why it ever replaced the M-1 (Garand)...

It didn't. The M-14 (really just an improved Garand) replaced the Garand.

I read about the M-16 jamming and costing lives in Vietnam and I heard about it first hand from a neighbor who had it happen to him and saw it happen to others. But I've never heard of an M-1 jamming

The prototype tested version was just fine but when it was put into full production changes were made to keep down costs. The later versions were about as reliable as the AK if kept reasonably clean. The primary cause of jaming with either is dirty/damaged magazines just as would probably be the case if you shoved a clod of mud into a Garand along with the clip. Also the higher capacity the mag. the more likely to jam. We normally loaded only 18 or 19 rnds per 20 rnd. mag. to help avoid jaming.

What I like best about the M-1 is the clip-of-eight loading, which takes a trained shooter less than two seconds to do. That means a rifleman in the prone position with a few bandoliers at hand can keep shooting without significant interruption until he runs out of ammo. But the M-16 is magazine-fed and unless one is carrying a load of magazines he is out of luck if he runs out in a firefight and needs to stop to load one.

A mag. changes at least as fast as clips and holds 2 or 3 times as much ammo. In addition the mags themelves are normally loaded from stripper clips. And, yes, bandolers of 10 ea. 20rnd. mags. were carried.

M250cal.jpg

The bandolers in the pic above contain loaded spare mags. for M-16s.

I believe those bandoliers are holding M-14 magazines. Also Garand receivers are dimensionally different from the M-14 reciever, they're close but you can't make a M-14 from a Garand receiver. The Italians however DID make their BM-59 battle rifles from Garand receivers.

The M-14 can be loaded with a 5 round stripper clip but will not accept a 8 round en-bloc clip from a Garand.

Sorry, America, but neither the M-14 or M-16 can hold a candle to this old war horse:

lee-enfield-rifle.jpg

Policed the Empire in one form or another for nearly a century; and could take down anything from an elephant to a German officer. Still in use, too.

Best bolt action military rifle ever fielded. But doesn't hold a candle to the Garand or M-14.

Sorry, America, but neither the M-14 or M-16 can hold a candle to this old war horse:

lee-enfield-rifle.jpg

Policed the Empire in one form or another for nearly a century; and could take down anything from an elephant to a German officer. Still in use, too.

Best bolt action military rifle ever fielded.
I beg to differ on that brother.

The German K98 Mauser was the best bolt action military rifle ever fielded.

Kar98k.jpg

"I believe those bandoliers are holding M-14 magazines. Also Garand receivers are dimensionally different from the M-14 reciever, they're close but you can't make a M-14 from a Garand receiver."

No, they do indeed hold M-16 20rd. mags.
Springfield Armory has been making M-1As from Garand recievers for many years now. See link above.

An interesting related story is why the US Military outsourced it's primary issue handgun. It's ironic that the FBI and other federal and state law enforcement agencies are going with the trusty old .45 for it's stopping power and reliability while the US Military is using the relatively anemic 9mm on an Italian gun maker frame. Could one of the reasons involve the democrat party's fairness policy of forcing women into combat roles? The majority of female Soldiers couldn't even hold the old Colt .45 Auto out straight with one hand much less shoot the damned thing. There is a condition in shooting called "limp wrist" where another round won't chamber if the weapon wasn't held in a solid grip. Well duh, a limp wrist comes with the female issue (and a few males who run the Country..

lee-enfield-rifle.jpg

Best bolt action military rifle ever fielded. But doesn't hold a candle to the Garand or M-14.
I don't know about that.
The mosin nagant for it's years of service might even be better. For bolt actions that is.

An M-14 hits nearly as hard. I do love my .308's

My older brother has a Springfield Armory M-14. I think he said it's a "match grade" (I probably have the term messed up).

If it could cook, he'd marry it.

Might it be a "National Match" M-14? (They were intended for use my military marksmanship teams.) My wife's friend also has one (I do NOT want to know what that cost), and it is amazing. No semiautomatic rifle should be THAT accurate

The object in combat is killing. The M16 was the right type of weapon for Vietnam.

When we went on combat operations in Northern I Corps, most of the time us grunts had to carry a 60mm mortar round on our packs. When we were humping the bush all day, a lighter rifle than a M14 made a significant difference. There were alternatives to the M16. The one that got a good field report was the Stoner Rifle System. Stoner M63 - Modular Weapons System - History, Specs and Pictures - Military, Security and Civilian Guns and Equipment

Sometime before February 1968 a newer M16 was issued to my unit. I didn't get one. Two days after they were issued, I flew to Okinawa. My tour of duty was over.

I wasn't a hero. I did what was asked of me. At 66 years of age, I am telling War Stories.
Now back to the retired life that I am enjoying in Florida.

God Bless all my bother and sister Vietnam Veterans and Semper Fi to those who served with USMC.

Last edited:
...but I've read and heard enough about it to wonder why it ever replaced the M-1 (Garand)...

It didn't. The M-14 (really just an improved Garand) replaced the Garand.

I read about the M-16 jamming and costing lives in Vietnam and I heard about it first hand from a neighbor who had it happen to him and saw it happen to others. But I've never heard of an M-1 jamming

The prototype tested version was just fine but when it was put into full production changes were made to keep down costs. The later versions were about as reliable as the AK if kept reasonably clean. The primary cause of jaming with either is dirty/damaged magazines just as would probably be the case if you shoved a clod of mud into a Garand along with the clip. Also the higher capacity the mag. the more likely to jam. We normally loaded only 18 or 19 rnds per 20 rnd. mag. to help avoid jaming.

What I like best about the M-1 is the clip-of-eight loading, which takes a trained shooter less than two seconds to do. That means a rifleman in the prone position with a few bandoliers at hand can keep shooting without significant interruption until he runs out of ammo. But the M-16 is magazine-fed and unless one is carrying a load of magazines he is out of luck if he runs out in a firefight and needs to stop to load one.

A mag. changes at least as fast as clips and holds 2 or 3 times as much ammo. In addition the mags themelves are normally loaded from stripper clips. And, yes, bandolers of 10 ea. 20rnd. mags. were carried.

M250cal.jpg

The bandolers in the pic above contain loaded spare mags. for M-16s.

I believe those bandoliers are holding M-14 magazines. Also Garand receivers are dimensionally different from the M-14 reciever, they're close but you can't make a M-14 from a Garand receiver. The Italians however DID make their BM-59 battle rifles from Garand receivers.

The M-14 can be loaded with a 5 round stripper clip but will not accept a 8 round en-bloc clip from a Garand.

M-16 on left, M-14 on right. Notice the shape of the bottom of teh mag body, also look at the angle of the feed lips on the M-14 and compare to the mags in the bandolier. I of course can be very wrong but the angle of the floor plate is what is making me think it's a M-14 mag.

Attachments

• $002.JPG
    $002.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
It's the person behind the rifle that matters most...............
Not if it tends to malfunction if not pampered.

Bad ammo caused the problems with the M-16. A good rifleman keeps his weapon in good shape....so once again it IS the man (or woman) behind the rifle.

Have you ever been to Afghanistan? Because (from someone who HAS) it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep dust out of anything. 5 minutes after cleaning a rifle, it's dirty again. On a windy day, it is CAKED in grit within 12 hours.

An interesting related story is why the US Military outsourced it's primary issue handgun. It's ironic that the FBI and other federal and state law enforcement agencies are going with the trusty old .45 for it's stopping power and reliability while the US Military is using the relatively anemic 9mm on an Italian gun maker frame. Could one of the reasons involve the democrat party's fairness policy of forcing women into combat roles? The majority of female Soldiers couldn't even hold the old Colt .45 Auto out straight with one hand much less shoot the damned thing. There is a condition in shooting called "limp wrist" where another round won't chamber if the weapon wasn't held in a solid grip. Well duh, a limp wrist comes with the female issue (and a few males who run the Country..

Ever fired the two pistols you are referring to? I have (my grandmother has a 1911, my wife has a Beretta)...and a Beretta 92 kicks just as hard as an M1911A1. The .45 round is heavier, but the 9mm round has a much higher velocity.

Ever fired the two pistols you are referring to? I have (my grandmother has a 1911, my wife has a Beretta)...and a Beretta 92 kicks just as hard as an M1911A1. The .45 round is heavier, but the 9mm round has a much higher velocity.

Actually I was issued a .45 in the Marines and was taught to fire it right handed although I am left handed and I never had a problem. A 9mm doesn't kick like a .45 and it is lighter. Like I said the so-called elite law-enforcement agencies are moving back to the .45 with almost the same platform as the old 1911. Why would they do that? Better stopping power than the lighter 9mm slug. Why did the Military outsource the US primary handgun? Maybe the big shots had stock in Beretta. My guess is that the fat asses and the broad asses who run the Pentagon wanted a prettier gun that the babes could look good wearing and not walk with a limp not to mention a limp wrist.

Not if it tends to malfunction if not pampered.

Bad ammo caused the problems with the M-16. A good rifleman keeps his weapon in good shape....so once again it IS the man (or woman) behind the rifle.

Have you ever been to Afghanistan? Because (from someone who HAS) it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep dust out of anything. 5 minutes after cleaning a rifle, it's dirty again. On a windy day, it is CAKED in grit within 12 hours.

I live in Nevada. I have spent far too many nights on dry playas. The dust from the playa is super fine and gets into everything. I have HK's, FN's, M1A's, and AR's. I never have trouble with them. I don't use oil on them normally. I will very lightly lube the guide rails with lithium grease and have never had a problem.

Actually I was issued a .45 in the Marines and was taught to fire it right handed although I am left handed and I never had a problem. A 9mm doesn't kick like a .45 and it is lighter. Like I said the so-called elite law-enforcement agencies are moving back to the .45 with almost the same platform as the old 1911. Why would they do that? Better stopping power than the lighter 9mm slug. Why did the Military outsource the US primary handgun? Maybe the big shots had stock in Beretta. My guess is that the fat asses and the broad asses who run the Pentagon wanted a prettier gun that the babes could look good wearing and not walk with a limp not to mention a limp wrist.

Hardly...NATO was standardizing 9mm as a pistol caliber, no more and no less. Beretta won the contract, but other companies' pistols (including Colt and Browning) were considered. Again, having fired both, Liz's Beretta kicks as hard as my grandfather';s old Colt, especially on the last shot.

Every LEO I can think of that does not use a 9mm uses a .40 caliber or a 10mm, not a .45ACP.

Hardly...NATO was standardizing 9mm as a pistol caliber, no more and no less. Beretta won the contract, but other companies' pistols (including Colt and Browning) were considered. Again, having fired both, Liz's Beretta kicks as hard as my grandfather';s old Colt, especially on the last shot.

Every LEO I can think of that does not use a 9mm uses a .40 caliber or a 10mm, not a .45ACP.

You nailed it. The NATO treaty of 1948 ratified under yet another dumb assed democrat administration had the greatest Military on the face of the earth entering into a treaty with a bunch of half-assed liberated former Russian so-called satelite nations and wouldn't you know it, the US conformed to the European firearm code. Instead of the US designation of caliber we would use the European metric system for everything. Lift winger Jimmy Carter peanut man tried to push the US further into the metric system when all the highways had the speed limits in metric and the liberal establishment tried to convert the US totally into the European standard. The problem was that the good ole boys put holes in the metric speed signs and the Police departments were reluctant to enforce kilometer speed limits. Carter was kicked out and the US went on with it's independent system of weights and measures while the NATO military was forced to conform to metric. Today it seems the politicians got their wishes. NATO means never having to say you are sorry. Bill Clinton bombed a defenseless country into the stone age and pretended it was NATO. President Hussein bombed Libya to pave the way for the muslem brotherhood and pretended it was NATO.

Actually I was issued a .45 in the Marines[...]
MP? Communicator? Or officer?

[...]Why did the Military outsource the US primary handgun? Maybe the big shots had stock in Beretta. My guess is that the fat asses and the broad asses who run the Pentagon wanted a prettier gun that the babes could look good wearing and not walk with a limp not to mention a limp wrist.
Converting .45 to 9mm for military application is highly suspicious. I can't imagine anyone who understands guns making such a decision, regardless of the extended firepower. The stopping power of the .45 more than compensates for the 15 round capacity of the Beretta 92.

That is not based on personal experience because I've never even seen a Beretta 92-F. I've repeated what a former U.S. Army armorer said on a History Channel program (American Guns). He also said he knows of no one, officer or enlisted, who didn't think the conversion was a bad idea. He said it would require three or more 9mm impacts to approximate the stopping energy of a single .45 impact, which he demonstrated on a gelatin block.

Forum List

Back