The American Bald Eagle

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
yesterday in the Meadow in front of my house, there was a Bald eagle, eating something he had caught.

It was so big! I thought at first, it was a Wild turkey in the meadow, but then i noticed the white head, so i ran and got my camera and zoomed in on it and low and behold, a Bald Eagle....

The pics are not that clear....i so wish they were...it was an amazing site! Especially when it took off...i missed the pic of it's full body in flight, but you can see on the last photo, where i got one wing of it in flight, HOW huge, huge, huge these creatures really are...

DSCF2614.jpg

DSCF2624.jpg

DSCF2634.jpg

DSCF2641.jpg

DSCF2646.jpg

DSCF2657.jpg

DSCF2659.jpg

DSCF2660.jpg

this is where you can see his left wing behind the bulldozer...it was at least 3 feet long...6 feet spead when flying!

DSCF2661.jpg

and this is my last shot of him. If you look in the center of the pics at the tree line, you can see him in the middle of the pic, flying away...

DSCF2662.jpg

the whole experience was awesome!

And this was a yearling I believe and not even a full grown Bald Eagle because he had speckled white spots on his back near his neck area...

I just LOVE the nature that i am able to experience by living here on the Maine Coast!

Care

Last edited:
Are the white dots on the back of the neck normal and not just on the Bald eagle young?

It is a Bald eagle, no?

Absolutely majestic birds, aren't they?

Tasty too.

Not as good as snail darters or loons, but if you boil 'em long enough they make a decent soup.

We're blessed to be able to live here, aren't we Care?

I was showing off my new place to some chums up from MASS who'd been shoving their new home on the North shore of MASS up my ass for the last year or so.

So, we're standing on the hill overlooking the pond when a couple beavers make their appearance.

My friends are excited by that, then the deer and fawn show up on the other side of the pond.

"Did you plan that," my chum asked?

Just then, an America Bald eagle flies over the pond, and since we're on a hill overlooking said pond, the thing is a eye level about 50 feet in front of us.

Damn, I said, "That eagle is making a pest of itself, again."

They've never been back!

Last edited:

Tasty too.

Not as good as snail darters or loons, but if you boil 'em long enough they make a decent soup.

I was showing off my new place to some chums up from MASS who'd been shoving their new home on the North shore of MASS up my ass for the last year or so.

So, we're standing on the hill overlooking the pond when a couple beavers make their appearance.

My friends are excited by that, then the deer and fawn show up on the other side of the pond.

Just then, an America Bald eagle flies over the pond, and since we're on a hill overlooking said pond, the thing is a eye level about 50 feet in front of us.

They've never been back!
i'm telling ya, i can NOT believe how big this eagle was....not until it flew off...at least 6 to 7 feet wing span, maybe even an 8 foot wingspan... i just zoomed in on my last pic up there where it is at the tree tops....it is just absolutely HUGE, HUGE, HUGE....

GO HERE: then find the way to zoom in...

Picasa Web Albums - John Doe - Bald Eagle in...

Yes, i feel very blessed to be here.

Here is a closeup of my last picture of the Bald eagle....I'm telling ya, those trees are huge that he was flying by, which gives you and idea of his at least 7 foot wing span...

DSCF2662.jpg

Bald eagles are making a come back. I'm not sure if they are still on the endangered species list or not. They are a beautiful bird and I've seen several in flight around here.

Interesting story. When I was in high school, our mascot was the Bald Eagle. We had a stuffed one in a display that had been shot by one of our teachers before it was on the endangered list (late 50's, early 60's). It was in that display for many many years when some idiot from the fish and game department came in and said it was illegal in the 90's and took it. It took a lot of legal wrangling to get it back for the school and when they did, they didn't put it back in the display but hung it up over the cafeteria and some idiot vandalized it and ripped the head off of it. I never heard if they ever found the head.

I guess PETA won this one. Though I have no idea what kind of statement vandalizing a stuffed bald eagle makes for them.

Tasty too.

They've never been back!

You realize killing an eagle is a felony, of course.

Eagles hunt fish and other animals...but they are also carrion birds, btw. And Golden Eagles are even bigger.

They can kill young deer by striking them behind the head with their "fists".

The bald eagle was taken off of the Endangered Species list within the last couple of years, i believe?

We got them all over the place where I live....mainly because of the Penobscot Bay/River is a good feeding ground, I would suppose, plus plenty of forests to nest.

I would never eat one!!! No matter how good Ed says they are..... I got trouple eating turkey now, with all the wild turkeys that hang out at my feeder....they are now considered pets....my cat is scared to death of them though....they are so big!

Lots of eagles in Maine...heck there are a pair of nesting osprey very close to my boat slip. I love watching them.

yesterday in the Meadow in front of my house, there was a Bald eagle, eating something he had caught.

It was so big! I thought at first, it was a Wild turkey in the meadow, but then i noticed the white head, so i ran and got my camera and zoomed in on it and low and behold, a Bald Eagle....

The pics are not that clear....i so wish they were...it was an amazing site! Especially when it took off...i missed the pic of it's full body in flight, but you can see on the last photo, where i got one wing of it in flight, HOW huge, huge, huge these creatures really are...

DSCF2614.jpg

DSCF2624.jpg

DSCF2634.jpg

DSCF2641.jpg

DSCF2646.jpg

DSCF2657.jpg

DSCF2659.jpg

DSCF2660.jpg

this is where you can see his left wing behind the bulldozer...it was at least 3 feet long...6 feet spead when flying!

DSCF2661.jpg

and this is my last shot of him. If you look in the center of the pics at the tree line, you can see him in the middle of the pic, flying away...

DSCF2662.jpg

And this was a yearling I believe and not even a full grown Bald Eagle because he had speckled white spots on his back near his neck area...

I just LOVE the nature that i am able to experience by living here on the Maine Coast!

Care

The Bald Eagle as a juvenile is completely dark brown with some spotting. They don't get their white head and tail feathers until they are 4-5 years old. closer to 5 is when they get the yellow beak and eyes. Yours is obviously at least 4-5 years old. I worked with a wild bird rehab group for a couple of years and visited a big one in Colorado. I was able to go into a giant 30 foot tall 100 foot long cage to help feed the eagles. They had 8, 2 Goldens, 5 adult Baldys and a juvenile named Einstein. He flew over us with his 7 foot wingspan, it was quite a rush.

The Bald Eagle as a juvenile is completely dark brown with some spotting. They don't get their white head and tail feathers until they are 4-5 years old. closer to 5 is when they get the yellow beak and eyes. Yours is obviously at least 4-5 years old. I worked with a wild bird rehab group for a couple of years and visited a big one in Colorado. I was able to go into a giant 30 foot tall 100 foot long cage to help feed the eagles. They had 8, 2 Goldens, 5 adult Baldys and a juvenile named Einstein. He flew over us with his 7 foot wingspan, it was quite a rush.

Yes! Thank you Sitarro, I went and googled Bald Eagles and read that around 5 years old, they should be with adult colors....in alot of other birds that i have viewed at my feeders loose their mundane feathers at a year....this is why I thought that this eagle was maybe only a year old at first...

This Eagle was so, so, so big!!! I have seen them flying over head and screaming, quite annoying really....i live near a huge river mouth/bay with lots of uninhabited little islands in the center of it with lots of trees, critters and fish....BUT I had never viewed one up close....and really, not until it took flight, did it scare the pajesus out of me with its actual wing span size! HIGE, HUGE, HUGE!

Then right on the other side of the meadow where the Bald Eagle was, there is a 25ft wide running brook, through the forrest, that leads to a LARGE lake.

I don't know what Eagles eat? I actually think this Eagle was eating a fish? They eat fish, right? It easily could have been a gofer or field mice or squirrel or rabbit....if they eat those kind of things?

We spotted an eagle's nest right on the edge of that brook in a very tall dead looking tree, a year before this siting of this Eagle itself and when he flew off, that's where he headed, towards that nest my hubby and I saw the previous year when hiking around...so this could be his territory?

Yes! Thank you Sitarro, I went and googled Bald Eagles and read that around 5 years old, they should be with adult colors....in alot of other birds that i have viewed at my feeders loose their mundane feathers at a year....this is why I thought that this eagle was maybe only a year old at first...

This Eagle was so, so, so big!!! I have seen them flying over head and screaming, quite annoying really....i live near a huge river mouth/bay with lots of uninhabited little islands in the center of it with lots of trees, critters and fish....BUT I had never viewed one up close....and really, not until it took flight, did it scare the pajesus out of me with its actual wing span size! HIGE, HUGE, HUGE!

Then right on the other side of the meadow where the Bald Eagle was, there is a 25ft wide running brook, through the forrest, that leads to a LARGE lake.

I don't know what Eagles eat? I actually think this Eagle was eating a fish? They eat fish, right? It easily could have been a gofer or field mice or squirrel or rabbit....if they eat those kind of things?

We spotted an eagle's nest right on the edge of that brook in a very tall dead looking tree, a year before this siting of this Eagle itself and when he flew off, that's where he headed, towards that nest my hubby and I saw the previous year when hiking around...so this could be his territory?

Eagles eat anything made of meat or fish.

They're more than happy to eat road kill or garbage.

The Osprey (which you must see much more frequently) only eat fresh fish.

(maybe they're Japanaese?)

DSCF2614.jpg

DSCF2624.jpg

DSCF2634.jpg

DSCF2641.jpg

DSCF2646.jpg

DSCF2657.jpg

DSCF2659.jpg

DSCF2660.jpg

DSCF2661.jpg

DSCF2662.jpg

Care
Damn so cool

Nice...

In the area where I live, there are two pairs of Bald Eagle within 20 miles of where I live...which is unusual.....

But yeah, they are massive birds....and extraordinarily beautiful.....

Thanks for the pics...

Where you live looks a lot like where I live....

Nice...

In the area where I live, there are two pairs of Bald Eagle within 20 miles of where I live...which is unusual.....

Thanks for the pics...

Do you live on the Maine Coast? :D

Nice...

Thanks for the pics...

Do you live on the Maine Coast? :D
Oooooooooooooooooooooooo

Close!

But no.......

:biggrin:

Northeast Pennsylvania....

Nice...

Thanks for the pics...

Actually we live about a mile from the coast line, but even the coast line up here is all woods until you get right to the shore and then there are cliffs and rocky beaches, almost everywhere...a Sandy Beach is a rarity, but mostly Pine, and birch, Poplar/ Aspen, Maple, Lots of Apple Trees and Alder....some areas with Oak...but not nearly as many as there were in southern New England.

Nice...

Thanks for the pics...

Actually we live about a mile from the coast line, but even the coast line up here is all woods until you get right to the shore and then there are cliffs and rocky beaches, almost everywhere...a Sandy Beach is a rarity, but mostly Pine, and birch, Poplar/ Aspen, Maple, Lots of Apple Trees and Alder....some areas with Oak...but not nearly as many as there were in southern New England.
My kind of nature.....

I was just talking with a co-worker this morning about how I wanted to do the "lighthouse" vacation starting in upstate Maine and working My way down to N. Carolina...

Forum List

Back