The Amendments of the Constitution

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
I'm discussing the Amendments with my daughter as she is doing her homework tonight. How interesting reading them again. (She is in 8th grade)

She had to pick 10 and describe what they mean to her.

She is also writing a children's book on How a Bill Becomes a Law.

I love creative teachers like her Social Studies teacher, she is interested in learning about the Constitution and our Country!

The 10th is the most confusing. Does it conflict with 9?

The 10th says:

The powers not delegated to the US by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The 9th says:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Text of Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Hey, Wait a Minute...: You might be asking yourself: Doesn't this contradict the Ninth Amendment? Why state that the Constitution does not disparage unenumerated personal rights, then say that any powers not specifically laid out in the Constitution are reserved for the states?
Tenth Amendment - The Text, Origins, and Meaning of the Tenth Amendment

so, the 9th says ''don't be messing with me... on anything not mentioned....''

and the 10th says ''don't be overstepping your federal bounds in to areas not mentioned in the constitution''

well, we sure have done a heck of a job in following those 2....! :eek:

care

so, the 9th says ''don't be messing with me... on anything not mentioned....''

and the 10th says ''don't be overstepping your federal bounds in to areas not mentioned in the constitution''

well, we sure have done a heck of a job in following those 2....! :eek:

care
No kidding. The Feds have wildly overstepped their bounds.

Yeah, I agree, but the problem is... WE allow it to continue.
Bureaucracies are entrenched and the politicians are beholden to them for money and votes. Reform will require term limits, a Fair or Flat Tax system, and good old fashioned Conservative program busting. Either that or a revolution, violent or otherwise.

Forum List

Back