The Amazing Race

If course they did.
It's a TV show.
All of them are edited and have scripts.
All of TV is just for entertainment.
None of us who watch these shows really know what these people are really like.
Yes and no. All reality tv is scripted. Yes some of the idiots watching think it is real.

I think everything is edited to produce the most entertaining show possible. You have an hour show that most usually starts out in the early morning for a full day of travel and strenuous activity. Each contestant has a camera crew with them recording everything they say and do but we see at most only a very few minutes of each contestant during an hour show. That means that well over 90% of the day's activities, conversations, etc. wind up on the cutting room floor during the final edit. And what we see on Friday nights--used to be Sunday and I wish it still was--is a highly condensed image of what the editors will hope will be the most interesting and emotionally satisfying product for their viewing audience.

Of course the contestants are interviewed all along the way as to what they are thinking or feeling--that is obvious in the final edit. But I think the competition itself is real or somebody would have blown the whistle on it long ago. I don't think they are handed a script of what to say or not to say. But I think the editors do select material for that final product to make some contestants come across as more sympathetic and likable and some not so much. Is their assessment of the character of those people accurate? Who knows?

Some parent-child teams can do well, the ones that lose the parent-child dynamic and work as partners.

Shelley and Nici aren't that kind of team. Things got rough, they fell back into bossy mom and crying kid roles.

Some parent-child teams can do well, the ones that lose the parent-child dynamic and work as partners.

Shelley and Nici aren't that kind of team. Things got rough, they fell back into bossy mom and crying kid roles.

I think the mother was over doing it.

For sure. I thought the mother was on a power trip, but daughter didn't help by playing right into it. I felt very uncomfortable for both of them.

For sure. I thought the mother was on a power trip, but daughter didn't help by playing right into it. I felt very uncomfortable for both of them.

Yeah, me too. They are in a race, and the mother is concerned about making a point! If she does something like that when they are close the the last team, she may end up costing them the race......

Yeah, me too. They are in a race, and the mother is concerned about making a point! If she does something like that when they are close the the last team, she may end up costing them the race......
Is the team you are talking about the two Black women where the one is such a poor loser and yelling all the time? She was terrible.

Someone above was talking about reality TV being scripted. I don't think AR is all that scripted, they may put in the most embarrassing comments but those comps really wear you out and get you pissed. I think most of the coments are from the heart is what I am trying to say, I guess. :)

Is the team you are talking about the two Black women where the one is such a poor loser and yelling all the time? She was terrible.

Someone above was talking about reality TV being scripted. I don't think AR is all that scripted, they may put in the most embarrassing comments but those comps really wear you out and get you pissed. I think most of the coments are from the heart is what I am trying to say, I guess. :)

They are a mother/daughter team, and they don't act like mother/daughter (IMO)....and no, I don't think AR is scripted....if it was, it would show up as really bad acting...AR brings out the true inner person under pressure and we get to see it! :)

I now want Kym & Alli to win, despite their badly spelled names. Though I'll settle for "anyone but the dentists", since all the other teams I found to be annoying are gone.

I now want Kym & Alli to win, despite their badly spelled names. Though I'll settle for "anyone but the dentists", since all the other teams I found to be annoying are gone.

I like them too, they are a hoot. I also like Bethany and Adam.....either one of those two teams I'm okay with.

Well, they came in last, last Friday.....so we won't have to put up with them any longer. I can't believe they drove around and around without stopping and asking for directions..:ack-1:

So proud of Bethany and Adam.....I can't believe that girl....she's so humble and talented, her handicap doesn't seem to deter her in any way.....they came in first, Friday....woohoo....I'm rooting for them and the cyclists, too....Kim and Allie.

So proud of Bethany and Adam.....I can't believe that girl....she's so humble and talented, her handicap doesn't seem to deter her in any way.....they came in first, Friday....woohoo....I'm rooting for them and the cyclists, too....Kim and Allie.
She is so amazing and does all of those comps and also makes it look easy. Love to see them win.

I wasn't sorry to see Tim and Teejay go. They had gotten really whiny.

However, the pole flag grab did seem impossible. Even the Maltese guys never actually did it. I was wondering if one could shimmy up the pole, but one of the Maltese guys did say "must run!". That could have meant "only running is allowed" or it could have meant "one possible way is to get a running start."

I wasn't sorry to see Tim and Teejay go. They had gotten really whiny.

However, the pole flag grab did seem impossible. Even the Maltese guys never actually did it. I was wondering if one could shimmy up the pole, but one of the Maltese guys did say "must run!". That could have meant "only running is allowed" or it could have meant "one possible way is to get a running start."

Yeah, I think you had at least to start off running....cause some of them teetered out and were able to grab the flag on the way down.

I do not like the bug eyed dentist, nor the wrestlers. This season, I don't really care who wins but I hope it is Bethany and Adam.

Hooray for TheScientists winning. Amy on her gimpy leg nails the memorization challenge, while the wrestlers get lost in traffic. It wasn't the dentists winning, so I'm happy. I was also happy to see grumpy wrestler woman at the finish line trying to pretend to look happy, and not really succeeding.

Next season, TAR becomes a matchmaking service. That's one way to get drama. All I care about is that it's all new teams.

I was really rooting for Bethany and Adam...she is such an inspirational young lady, and they are so supportive of each other as a couple.:thup:

263126-Adam-Dirks-und-seine-Ehefrau-Bethany-Hamilton-.jpg

I was really rooting for Bethany and Adam...she is such an inspirational young lady, a in addition to being sweet and humble.nd they are so supportive of each other as a couple.:thup:

263126-Adam-Dirks-und-seine-Ehefrau-Bethany-Hamilton-.jpg
I really wanted them to win too . They were so good

Hooray for TheScientists winning. Amy on her gimpy leg nails the memorization challenge, while the wrestlers get lost in traffic. It wasn't the dentists winning, so I'm happy. I was also happy to see grumpy wrestler woman at the finish line trying to pretend to look happy, and not really succeeding.

Next season, TAR becomes a matchmaking service. That's one way to get drama. All I care about is that it's all new teams.

I said the same thing....guess most everyone got the same reaction out of the dentists.....seems like nobody liked their arrogant comments. I'm glad that The Scientists won, too....I wanted Bethany and Adam to win it, but unfortunately they got behind in the last challenge, but as long as the dentists didn't win, I was happy.

It'll be fun to watch the new players.....

I was rooting for Adam and Bethany too, but if it wasn't to be for them, then I definitely wanted the scientists to win, most especially after the wrestlers put them down in such an offensive manner.

Of course I'm pretty sure that clip of the wrestlers making snotty remarks about the scientists was not edited out as the producers knew it would create sympathy for the scientists so we would be happy that they won.

They had already shown us enough comments from the dentists that nobody wanted them to win.
:)

Forum List

Back