The all purpose home defense side arm

I prefer the .12 guage solution.

It might be a bit messier but a whole lot more effective.

Not a big fan of revolvers. Slow to reload and they hold a small amount of rounds.

I would prefer a 1911 or honestly a SBR sub gun so its easily handled inside a house but lacks the penetration of a high power rifle that may end up hurting your neighbor sleeping next door. It would be more accurate, quicker follow up shots, quicker reloads and holds more rounds in the mag.

The only problem with the SBR is all the red tape.

Revolvers have less issues then semi-autos, ya don't have to worry about jams and stove piping, if you pull the trigger and nothing happens all you have to do is pull the trigger again.
As for speed of reload, I'll go up against your 1911 with a 38, 357 or 45 wheel gun and speed loaders. We'll use a Q target at 7 or 9 yards, each get two reloads with 6 rounds per reload fired initially from the holster position in a fifteen second time frame, we'll not only see who's faster but also more accurate.
By the way, the last impromptu competition I did like that was with a group of 38s against a group of 9 mils. I hadn't practiced for about 8 months and I still won by a fraction of a second against the fastest 9 mil shooter.

Not a big fan of revolvers. Slow to reload and they hold a small amount of rounds.

I would prefer a 1911 or honestly a SBR sub gun so its easily handled inside a house but lacks the penetration of a high power rifle that may end up hurting your neighbor sleeping next door. It would be more accurate, quicker follow up shots, quicker reloads and holds more rounds in the mag.

Revolvers have less issues then semi-autos, ya don't have to worry about jams and stove piping, if you pull the trigger and nothing happens all you have to do is pull the trigger again.
As for speed of reload, I'll go up against your 1911 with a 38, 357 or 45 wheel gun and speed loaders. We'll use a Q target at 7 or 9 yards, each get two reloads with 6 rounds per reload fired initially from the holster position in a fifteen second time frame, we'll not only see who's faster but also more accurate.
By the way, the last impromptu competition I did like that was with a group of 38s against a group of 9 mils. I hadn't practiced for about 8 months and I still won by a fraction of a second against the fastest 9 mil shooter.

A planned competition is a lot different than waking up to an intruder in the middle of the night.

Yeah I know semi autos are more prone to malfunction than a revolver but if you know your weapon and know that you have never really had any malfunctions of any kind then, you stick with what your used to and what you trust.

I have a Siberian Husky, a baseball bat, and a dachshund that is more lethal than either of those 2.

With small children in the house, especially the super-smart daredevil, evil kenevil know-no-fear-get-into-everything-we're-not-supposed-to that are mine, I don't have a gun yet. Will wait until they are old enough to understand the power behind them.

I have enough problems trying to explain to the 4 year old why it's not a good idea to throw the dog off the second story landing into the living room, or why her 1 year old sister probably wouldn't want to go in the oven, even if her feet and hands are cold....

A planned competition is a lot different than waking up to an intruder in the middle of the night.

Yeah I know semi autos are more prone to malfunction than a revolver but if you know your weapon and know that you have never really had any malfunctions of any kind then, you stick with what your used to and what you trust.

If ANY of my carry weapons jam, I throw them away (I literally do).

1911s don't jam if you take care of them well (and don't buy a cheap one). There is no better sidearm, IMO, and I'd smile like a church mouse if my assailant pulled out a revolver as I was reaching to my side for whichever 1911 I happen to be carrying that day.

That said, I sell revolvers all day long to people who aren't intimately familiar with guns, or don't plan on shooting and maintaining their weapon an awful lot. Great choice for safety and reliability, especially for those who aren't going to do regular maintenance and cleaning, or are a neophyte or "casual shooter." For the average "home defense only" handgun owner, revolvers are the smart choice (the new "judge" weapons even smarter). But there is a reason police don't carry revolvers anymore. They live in the same world I do, where the chances of a gun crime are greatly increased.

But in a "real world, life or death" scenario, I'm picking up the 1911 every time. And unless my assailant is wearing chaps and a cowboy hat, I'm gonna be happy to see him produce a revolver :)

I don't think a .410 is a powerful enough shell. It doesn't really penatrate. For .45 I would use one of my semi-automatics, much easier to reload and less recoil

If I am barricading inside my bedroom, I will use my 12 gauge shotgun with OO.

If I am going hunting, I would use one of my handguns.

In .45 caliber I have a Sig Sauer P220, and a Kimber Pro Raptor II.

I also have a Glock 19 & a Glock 34 9 mm with a laser, strobbing light, and light. Even though it's a 9 mm, it has much more ammo capacity. You can't have too much ammo capacity.

Downstairs I have a 1966. 357 Colt Python Revolver.

All my weapons are loaded and hidden throughout my house.

After thousands of rounds, I have never had a malfunction with my Glocks.

If ANY of my carry weapons jam, I throw them away (I literally do).

1911s don't jam if you take care of them well (and don't buy a cheap one). There is no better sidearm, IMO, and I'd smile like a church mouse if my assailant pulled out a revolver as I was reaching to my side for whichever 1911 I happen to be carrying that day.

That said, I sell revolvers all day long to people who aren't intimately familiar with guns, or don't plan on shooting and maintaining their weapon an awful lot. Great choice for safety and reliability, especially for those who aren't going to do regular maintenance and cleaning, or are a neophyte or "casual shooter." For the average "home defense only" handgun owner, revolvers are the smart choice (the new "judge" weapons even smarter). But there is a reason police don't carry revolvers anymore. They live in the same world I do, where the chances of a gun crime are greatly increased.

But in a "real world, life or death" scenario, I'm picking up the 1911 every time. And unless my assailant is wearing chaps and a cowboy hat, I'm gonna be happy to see him produce a revolver :)

I don't think a revolver is a great choice.

It has more recoil, and it takes longer to reload for a novice, than a semi-automatic.

I see that C. Mike has very good taste when it comes to firearms. Some very nice guns in that list, and all proven, reliable, QUALITY firearms.

When your choice is a Sig or a Kimber, you've made good decisions beforehand :)

Honestly though, out of all the handgun talk I still believe a home defense gun should be a SBR in a pistol caliber. Next on my list would be an AK with soft points to reduce penetration of walls.

Remember this saying,

"A pistol is only good for fighting your way back to your battle rifle that you should have never put down in the first place."

That's why I'm familiar and trained with both plus shotguns, and (real) assault weapons. Competitions and practice hone your abilities, repetition produces muscle memory which translates to speed and accuracy in real world encounters. So the lessons learned in competitions can apply to waking up to an intruder in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back