The Al Franken-Rush Limbaugh effect

Discussion in 'Politics' started by superfreak, Feb 22, 2004.

1. superfreak

superfreak Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw Al Franken last night at Carnegie Music Hall in Pittsburgh, PA. He is not anti-USA, just anti-Bush. His comedy is very entertaining. People tend to forget he is an entertainer, his goal is to make people laugh and make money. In this way his liberal message is appealing to the left the same way Rush Limbaugh's conservative message is appealing to the right.

I fear that leftist Democrats in general believe what he says to be true the same way that rightist Republicans in general believe what Rush says is true.

Democrats contend that Bush (self proclaimed uniter) has polarized the country. Although some of his actions (war in Iraq) and policies (tax cuts) have inflamed the left, Ive been playing with the idea that its not so much what he has done that bothers people, it is how the media and entertainers portray what he has done as the cause of polarization.

It seems that Government and countries are polarized by extreme fanaticism on both sides. It is not politicians who breed this fanaticsm. Entertainers who know they can make a buck by builiding up a base of fanatical followers seem to divide countries. This is what Franken and Limbaugh have done.

In my opinion Bush is neither a poor nor a great president. Like Clinton he is middle of the road. He has made progress on economic stimulation and national security but he has failed on deficit reduction and job growth. Franken would have you think otherwise. It is idiotic and unrealistic to think that any president can always make the right decisions when it comes to managing the country. It is a failure of democracy to think that a president will always do the right thing.

Franken's criticsm of Bush makes the left think that Bush must always do the right thing, or at least that he should do exactly what he said he would do when he campaigned in 2000. Limbaugh makes the same mistake when he claimes the Clinton never made rational decisions and that it was his job as president to do so.

I'm not sure where I am going with this, I just caution anyone to dive headfirst into the pool of entertainment fantasy on the intricate complexities of politics. I guesse when people get sucked into Franken and Rush's entertainment they polarize the country.

2. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you kidding me, this guy is nothing more than an idiot, and not because he is anti-bush, it is just his core personality !

3. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Listen, I don't much care for Rush. He comes off as an egotistical windbag. However, though the man spends hours rambling on about his own obviously biased opinion, he is generally honest about it.

Franken on the other hand spreads lies and when caught in them dismisses them away with a wave of the hand describing his 'facts' as political satire. Despite this, the left continues to regard the man as an important liberal voice who fights for their 'truth'.

There's a difference.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    There's a huge difference. Rush is a brilliant political analyst and debater. Franken is an idiot.

As for the mentioned windbaginess, I find people with small egos to be incredibly boring!

5. LoneVoice

LoneVoice Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, you were almost right on that one...

But you should've said that RUSH is a big fat idiot too.

6. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Rush is an even bigger windbag of waste gasses than hillary clinton is.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    DK, glad to hear you think hillary is a windbad of waste gas. There's hope for you, yet.:)

8. superfreak

superfreak Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The fact that you guys can't look at both men objectively proves my point. Regardless of their intellectual capacities they both are trying to make money, this makes the "truth" they both support suspect to suspicion.

I listen to and like both of them. Just because they entertain me doesn't mean that I buy into either of their bullshit.

The polarization on this post (let alone the country) makes my initial thoughts "the idea that its not so much what he (bush) has done that bothers people, it is how the media and entertainers portray what he has done as the cause of polarization" seem like a plausible thought.

At times i think eveyone on this board should step out of their idealogical/philosophical cave (Plato) and look at the political spectrum with an eye towards historical trends not just present issues. maybe then we will come to a consensus solution for the problems of our time....instead of getting caught up calling one side "lying liars" and "big fat idiots" we may actually make some domestic progress.

Thanks for your replies.

9. montyfowler

montyfowler Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, Brother...you have stirred the Conservative lions today!

You have quickly discovered that there are a few people lurking around here who are intellectually stuck in a wooden box made of Conservative Republican party planks. They are as bad as the Liberals who can't reason beyond what the media pumps into their heads.

I appreciate your thoughtful comments on Mr. Franken and Mr. Limbaugh. Both are indeed entertainers, both have real insights filtered through their own political lens, and both have the ability to influence millions of people who would rather be spoonfed opinions that have to put in the work to form their own.

Keep posting and ignore the blowhard extremists.

10. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I am a big Al Franken fan. One reason is because Al will tell you that first and foremost he is an entertainer, a satirist. His first mission has always been, and I think will always to be to make people laugh. His books on politics have been thoroughly researched and very intelligent, but at their core, they are still about entertainment. Al Franken is an unabashed Democrat and liberal. Rush Limbaugh tries to pass himself off as something other than an entertainer, some sort of broadcast journalist. Franken does not, he's an entertainer and proud of it. I don't take everything Al Franken says as absolutely true, primarly because he'd call me stupid if I did. Rush's dittoheads take everything he says as the absolute truth. The other reason I like Al Franken is because he's damn funny. The stuff he did on Saturday Night Live is brilliant. My personal favorite is Stuart Smalley ("I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it people like me!" )

acludem