The Actual "Health Care Reform" Needed

csbarry

I'm just getting started!
Jan 20, 2010
Turn around ...
Health care is not a luxury; it is a necessity. We pay far more than we need to for it, the insurance companies and the medical community make far more than they should, and Washington does nothing about it because it would cut into their investment returns. It's time to send Washington a message.

Here's the best example of the problem with health care you'll probably ever get:

After trying to remove a tick from my wifes back, I realized the head of the tick remained behind. I suggested to my wife that she make an appointment to see our physician and get it removed. My wife kept the appointment, at which time our physician removed the head of the tick and dressed the area, all in about four minutes. Some time later we received a print out from our health insurance company of the charges submitted to them from our physician. Over and above our co-pay of $25.00, our physician charged and received $595.00 for his services. This is not the only example I can personally offer, and for that reason, I can confidently state that excessive charges are the biggest problem with health care in America today. Americans are being financially abused by the health care system in this Country, and it would appear were not going to get the help we really need, not by anything being proposed in Washington these days.

The insurance companies and the medical community are laughing all the way to the bank; they have been for years, and thanks to any proposed "health care reform bill" coming out of Washington these days, they will continue to do so for many more years to come. Together, they and Washington, have duped the public in the interest of protecting the income and the investments. What they are trying to sell us is as much an illusion as the so called "road to recovery" scenario is to the economic situation.

Everyone wants the security of health insurance. Forcing people to have health insurance is not the answer. In Massachusetts the least expensive option gets you next to nothing, with high co-pays and few benefits. I'm not the only one you'll find who will describe it as a sick joke. In my opinion, there are certain aspects of life that the public should be protected from being financially raped; housing, energy, food, and medical care.

Last edited:
People have survived for thousands of years without government run or subsidized health care. How on earth is it a necessity?

Just burn the fucking bill that's stuck in congress and give everyone the option of buying Medicare A & B at the current rate for folks who are eligible but not qualified.

Don't change anything else... just add that option.... I'll bet anyone a dollar it'll do more good than harm.

At some point the US will go to single payer.

Until we do US companies will be burdened with the costs of insuraning their employees while the rest of the worlds companies will not have this burden.

Any capitalist worth their salt should be concered about how we can compete in a global market with the current system.

Until we do US companies will be burdened with the costs of insuraning their employees while the rest of the worlds companies will not have this burden.

Any capitalist worth their salt should be concered about how we can compete in a global market with the current system.

You want to stop burdening business? Why dont you cut taxes significantly? After all, businesses are already taxed more in the United States than any other nation.

But then you don really care about the burden on businesses. If you did, youd actually propose something that would help rather than pretending that businesses are somehow responsible for health insurance to begin with. Some businesses choose to provide health benefits to their employees. No business is obligated to do so.

Each of you has missed my point. As subscribers, whether or not our insurance coverage is being subsidized by an employer, we're having to pay too much. The insurance companies are are charging way more than they need to in order to provide themselves and their investors, as well as the medical community, with more money than they deserve.

Last edited:

Our economy would most definately get a major shot in the arm if employers were able to drop one of their single largest expenses; covering their employee's health insurance.

But single payer is not the only way to do that. You're half way there Truth, now if you would remove your head from your ass and stop thinking government is the answer to everything, when the reality is ours generally fucks up everything you might actually get somewhere.

Part of the problem is the cost of service. The reason is the nature of the transaction. Normally any good or service you want you directly pay for. Which makes companies compete for your dollar and you shop for the best deal. Health care doesn't work that way. You go looking for service for your problem without really caring how much it costs because the reality is your insurance company is going to pay the bulk of the tab. The service provider knows your insurance company is picking up the bulk of the tab so no fair market value gets set for the service. Single payer would exacerbate that.

I bet you're one of those libs that whines about special interest groups. You think single payer won't add to that problem? Instead of you coming to an agreement with your doctor for the price of service hospitals are going to be negotiating with representatives over what they will and won't provide and for how much.

I just don't get why libs can't get this through their skulls despite the piles and piles of evidence for it. More government interference in the private sector makes things worse for consumers, and that is exactly what will happen with single payer.

Last edited:

Throughout our history, medical coverage provided by an employer has been considered part of an employees compensation package. The provision is not the problem. The problem is the employers, and we, are increasingly being charged too much for the coverage as I described in my prior posts. Think of losing the medical coverage provided by an employer as a 10% to 15% reduction in your paycheck, now how does it look to you?

Last edited:
The United States is the home of fraud and corruption. Bernard Madoff is the poster child of American greed and deceit, but the players on his team are too numerous to name here. Scott Rothstein is our local representative.
The capitalist system is built on a foundation of cruelty, pain, and entitlement. The haves versus the have nots. This is why every person is looking out for Their own personal best interest, their piece of the pie.
No healthcare reform will be successful unless it addresses fraud and corruption. Take some of these bastards out and hang them, in public.
Limit profits claimed by healthcare providers to a 3% growth rate year over year, and tax the excesses at 100% windfall tax. Use universities and the VA to develop new procedures and drug research, and fund them with government tax dollars.
I am not a hard hearted person, but I don't hear many people screaming out about fraud and corruption, in this debate.

The United States is the home of fraud and corruption. Bernard Madoff is the poster child of American greed and deceit, but the players on his team are too numerous to name here. Scott Rothstein is our local representative.
The capitalist system is built on a foundation of cruelty, pain, and entitlement. The haves versus the have nots. This is why every person is looking out for Their own personal best interest, their piece of the pie.
No healthcare reform will be successful unless it addresses fraud and corruption. Take some of these bastards out and hang them, in public.
Limit profits claimed by healthcare providers to a 3% growth rate year over year, and tax the excesses at 100% windfall tax. Use universities and the VA to develop new procedures and drug research, and fund them with government tax dollars.
I am not a hard hearted person, but I don't hear many people screaming out about fraud and corruption, in this debate.

Yes, evil, evil capitalism and corporate America. Thank you for showing us all how stupid American's are getting. Do you not understand human behavior in the slightest? Are you entitled to health care then seeing as you have such a problem paying people for coverage?

People have survived for thousands of years without government run or subsidized health care. How on earth is it a necessity?
They also survived without indoor plumbing, clothes, your religion, your opinion, modern medicine, and cities.

What's your point, exactly?

I support no national system I've heard of.

I support subsidizing clinics for the working poor and those on unemployment or who are laid off. These clinics would be relatively small, would be funded by cities and counties, and would provide routine physicals/checkups, pregnancy tests and neonatal care for women whoa re not deemed exceptionally high-risk and basic follow-up care.

I support providing emergency treatment (that means emergency treatment, not treatment or anything so long as you show up at the ER) for all who need it and billing those persons. Should they be unable to pay, I support referring them to local/state agencies and/or private entities who can help them pay for their care. Excemptions should be granted to those who truly need them (eg: you were injured and can no longer work or you are elderly and can no longer work).If hospitals are operating at a loss, I support letting the States, counties, and cities decide whether and how much to subsidize them.

The fed should not be involved in the process, IMO.

You said the insurer was CHARGED 595 dollars. How is that a ripoff by them?

My mother in law who is on Medicare was in for same day surgery last week. After the prcedure went fine, a cardiologist came in for two minutes and then ordered a series of tests. That's govt insurance fer ya. I wonder what that bill will be.

☭proletarian☭;2051901 said:
They also survived without indoor plumbing, clothes, your religion, your opinion, modern medicine, and cities.

What's your point, exactly?

Not to mention education, roads, bridges, airports, identification, quality standards and enforcement for food, water and trade goods, security both national and local, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Government is not the problem. Mercenary lobbyist control of government on behalf of the super wealthy is the problem. We, The People cannot afford equal representation in Washington DC.

In spite of the corruption, government does a LOT of good in this country and is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for us to maintain the lifestyle our parents fought WWII for us to have.

Just imagine what We, The People could accomplish on common projects if getting paid to lobby government was a capital offense.

Forum List

Back