The account of Adam and Eve is allegorical

The story of Adam and Eve
Duality like light and dark or hot and cold? Duality is an illusion.

Give that man a cigar!
Which is exactly what I have been saying all along. Man know wrong from right and when he violates it instead of abandoning the concept or admitting that he violated it, he rationalizes that he didn't. So you see... the duality of man illusion is taught in the opening chapters of the Bible.
Jesus died on the cross for your sins, so that bill is paid.
That's not quite correct, but thanks for playing.
It's what it says in the bible.
Do you have peer reviewed study on that, lol?

The account of Adam and Eve is allegorical. It is the account of how man knows right from wrong and when he violates it he rationalizes that he didn't violate it, but he never abandons the concept of right and wrong.

Total bull...next thing you are going to tell us is that Noah didn't really build an ark
So you don't believe that man knows wrong from right?

Give that man a cigar!
Which is exactly what I have been saying all along. Man know wrong from right and when he violates it instead of abandoning the concept or admitting that he violated it, he rationalizes that he didn't. So you see... the duality of man illusion is taught in the opening chapters of the Bible.
Ya, the bible.

Ya, the bible.
Really, you have a Bible?

The account of Adam and Eve is allegorical. It is the account of how man knows right from wrong and when he violates it he rationalizes that he didn't violate it, but he never abandons the concept of right and wrong.

More bullshit......just like everything else in the bible!

Ya, the bible.
It's on the internet, fool.
But actually, I once found a bible in my house, had no idea where it came from, so I threw in the garbage.

Ya, the bible.
But actually, I once found a bible in my house, had no idea where it came from, so I threw in the garbage.

Did the garbage flame up into an inferno?

I see. So you don't believe that you know wrong from right?

Ya, the bible.
You have a house?

Even fools know wrong from right. Just watch all the politicians in action.

Even fools know wrong from right. Just watch all the politicians in action.
I thought you said it was just more bullshit.

Ya, the bible.
You have a house?
Several, why?
Are they like the business that you own that you can't tell me anything about?

Ya, the bible.
You have a house?
Several, why?
Why should I tell you? You won't believe me anyways.

You have a house?
Several, why?
Why should I tell you? You won't believe me anyways.
Where have I heard that before.

Not to mention that in addition the whole story of Adam and Eve makes absolutely no sense.

Moses should have started with his own story of his mom putting him in the reed basket in the river, and then told us how he found out -- who told him that? -- since obviously he was too young to remember it himself.

Then he could have flashed back to how a bunch -- thousands -- of Babylonian Hebrews got stuck in Egypt in the first place and how he found that out since it happened hundreds of years before he was born.

Moses' technical writing skills suck whereas he is great at spinning a yarn -- like the story of Adam and Eve.

So... you don't believe that we are born with an innate ability to know right from wrong?

Do I believe we are born with a conscience? I think it's a combo of nature and nurture. We are born with a capacity to empathise. Our moral consciousness develops over time.

Pinocchio is assigned an external conscience (Jimminy Cricket), which he internalizes. But other guides are introduced. His ego stoked, he begins to test the boundaries set by Jimminy Cricket. He ends up venturing down a path which leads to selfishness and lying. He feels remorse, and in feeling remorse he becomes human.
I did not pay close attention to Jiminy Cricket or Pinocchio.

But I do recall from being a young child that I had no sense of right and wrong at first, and that all my parents' rules made no sense to me.

By age 25 most things made perfect sense, and by age 30 I could feel for others in their distress.

So I agree that it takes a long time to develop a social conscience and empathy.

I suspect that children have instincts simply to survive, and then their altruism develops later once their lives are less fragile and susceptible to destruction.

What is the significance of Adam and Eve hiding when they heard God approaching?

The story represents a shift into the ego-centered mind. Animals have a sense of body awareness and to some extent self-awareness. Other mammals seem to experience twinges of pride or embarrasment. But human self-awareness is on a whole nuther level.

Hold on, I gotta take a selfie...

Okay I'm back. The human mind is divided btwn conscious and subconscious, represented by male and female in this story. The experience of our lives is processed in dreams. In a sense, the conscious impregnates the subconscious. This process leads to re-births of understanding.

In the story the serpent intercedes and plants a concept or mode of thought into the human psyche: knowledge. Humans were given a double-edged sword. This makes me think of the Greek story of Prometheus who gave humans the secret of fire. Zeus was pissed.
The story simply makes no sense.

It seems to be about sex.

It seems to be about forbidden sex.

The forbidden sex seems to be about oral sex.

The serpent seems to be Adam's penis.

Even wanted oral sex in return.

Fair enough, what is wrong with that?

Same reason Moshiach is deemed a lepper.
Man and the church can talk about a HaShev (return) but will guarantee hide from any HaShev.
That doesn't make any sense at all. What was the reason they hid? Did they used to hide from Him? What had they done immediately before they hid from Him?

This story is an allegory, and within it there are many hidden truths. Probably the greatest truth is that God gave man a simple allegorical explanation of creation with the steps of creation put in a form that man could understand. This simple story can be understood by the dullest and brightness from the illiterate villages of 3rd century Europe to the scholars in the 21st century.

People make the mistake of trying to make the Bible a book of science, history, and geography. It is simply a collection of writings about how men should relate to each other and God.

Forum List

Back