The Abortion Debate No One Wants To Have

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NATO AIR, Oct 18, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I'm horrified at this; this is what our society is coming to?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Eddie, you are speaking to my heart. My sister, Mary Beth was Down's syndrome. She beat my mother to heaven by about a year.

She was 'profoundly deaf', whereas I am only 'deaf.' Mary Beth got all the worst of the gene pool. Worst hearing, eyesite, teeth, hair, etc. Yet, she always seemed happier than the rest of us. She always has a 'boyfriend.'

She was the oldest of us 3 siblings, I was the 'middle'. I guess since she was over 5 years older, I was 'co-oldest.' I guess I really was. But really, since she was unique, so was I in our family. I didn't know of her until I was 8. I found out about Mary Beth, when I asked my mom if Santa was real. My mom told me the truth of Santa, while also telling me about my older sister at the same time. Needless to say, Christmas has never been the same for me.

Seems my parents nearly divorced after she was born, my mom wanted to keep her home; her doctor, her sister, and my father disagreed. She was sent to an 'infant home', then to Dixon, IL for mentally retarded as she got beyond the infant stage. I guess with my being conceived, I saved my parents marriage, along with a good obstetrician. My brother, less than 18 months later, sealed that deal.

Fast forward to late 1970's. Dixon is shut down. Mary Beth is sent to a 'facility for severely retarded, with hope of group home placement.' It's PARC. A wonderful facility where Mary Beth is finally, at nearly 30 years old, diagnosed as profoundly deaf. They are able to teach her sign language, which I learned. 10 years later, they arrange for cochlear implants, which make speech possible. (Just imagine if she had had that as a child?)

For the next 10 years, she is in a group home. At the age of 45, she is diagnosed with Alzeimer's. No one in my family, the low point on both sides of family being 82, has had Alzeimer's. For 3 years, she fades away, though she did recognize me the last time I visited, she did not care that I put the flowers on the wrong side of the bed. She was too tired, too confused to care. In a way, this was even harder than the loss of my mom, who did not go 'quietly into the night.'

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    wow. I had no idea....

I believe a life lived is far better than a life terminated. She seemed to have had a fulfilling life, and that is the most we can all hope for.

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Nothing new here. Amnio synthesis (SP) has been around a long time, and used to ID severe defects. Abortions have been taking place based on these results a long time.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    You know P. She had a good life, as good as society allowed. She had lovers.She had a job, and I will testify that she left behind others that morned her passing. Her lovers and family. FY.

6. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    i agree. I refused the testing the first time, because I figure I will love the child no matter what, and they don't even test until about 12-15 weeks, so the baby is much more developed than at 6 weeks. i won't do it this time either. I will deal with the hand I am dealt. my baby will have a mom and dad to love him, regardless of any real imperfection.

even so, those tests are only about 60-75% accurate. there are too many false positives to make it worth the worry. What if you aborted and the test had been wrong? There is no way you would know.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

I can't even begin to count the number of "disabled" people I have met that I would exchange with "able" people in a heartbeat. An unusually cruel act,indeed.

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I'm sorry that made me laugh in the middle of this rather serious discussion. How true.

9. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    Who knows why she was put here to live life in such a different way than the rest of us. I would guess that she served as an example of a true love for life to everyone she met. She certainly seems to have had a very positive effect on you Kathianne, you are a better person because of her presence in your life. I only know you from your posts but I sense that you are not only a wonderful, compassionate person but a great teacher as well.

While people with disabilities can bring out the worst in some people, their more important mission is to reveal the best in us. I am sure she is watching over you with pride in knowing what she was able to do for you.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Thanks Sitarro. My mom told us that 'people like Mary Beth' were angels sent by God to show the rest of us what it's like to 'just trust God.' I don't know about that, but there certainly was an innocence that was not lost at 20, 30, or 50.