the AARPs policy

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Old Rocks, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,263
    Hi,

My inbox has been flooded with emails spreading crazy rumors about health reform so I wanted to share some facts from AARP about what's really going on. Please join me in forwarding these facts to everyone you know. Print them out and pass them around at your social gatherings and other places where people are discussing the issues of the day.

FACT #1: Medicare will not be ended, and no benefits or services will be cut.

Your services will not be ended, nor will your benefits be cut. AARP's position on this could not be clearer. And we have sent this message loud and clear to Congress. While the current proposals include savings in Medicare by cutting out fraud, abuse, waste, and inefficiency, we're standing up and making sure benefits for Medicare recipients are not only fully protected, but are improved.1

FACT #2: No legislation currently in Congress would mandate the rationing of care. Period.

Our staff has read all of the legislation circulating in Congress and there are no provisions in these bills that would ration care for our members. None. If any ever did, we would vigorously fight to stop that legislation.2

FACT #3: There is no provision of any piece of legislation that would promote euthanasia of any kind.

The rumors out there are flat out lies. Right now Medicare does not cover counseling for end-of-life care. The portion of the bill in question would simply provide coverage for optional end-of-life consultations with doctors, so that the patient can be aware of all of the treatment options on the table. It is not mandatory and it has nothing to do with euthanasia.3

FACT #4: We have not endorsed President Obama's plan.

In fact, we haven't endorsed any plan. We are supporting reform of our health care system, something that AARP has pushed for many years. We're working closely with Republican and Democratic members of Congress to lower health care costs and to ensure quality affordable coverage for older Americans – and we want reform legislation passed and signed by the president this year.4

So what is AARP fighting for in health reform?

Stopping insurance companies from charging older Americans unaffordable premiums because of their age.
    Ending the practice of excluding people from insurance because of pre-existing conditions.
    Holding down health costs and making insurance coverage more affordable for all Americans.
    Making prescription drugs more affordable by narrowing the Medicare doughnut hole, bringing generics to market faster, and allowing Medicare to negotiate better drug prices.
    Find out more and take action at HealthActionNow.org.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,633
    Did they explain the contemplated 500 billion dollar cuts to medicare? No they did not.. more bullshit, different day! Kerry ON

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Interesting, and somewhat alarming, too.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Willow.

Can you give us your source for this information, please?

4. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,633
    I already have at least twice! pay attention or, google is yer friend.

try congress contemplates 500 billion dollar cuts to medicare whydonchya?

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617

Okay...I get this return from Google

congress contemplates 500 billion dollar cuts to medicare - Google Search=

Now I'd still appreciate it if you would be kind enough to tell me what YOUR source for this data is.

6. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,533
    The wingnuts appear to have a problem supplying a source for a $500Billion cut in Medicare.

7. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,633
    you got something in your pocket.. as I have stated,, I have posted it once or twice on this very sight,, put forth a little effort if you are interested,, google and search are your friends. I don't jump through libtard hoops.. it's all in the tone buddy boy

8. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    actually, its on YOU to back up your claims with A link

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,633
    like I said DB I already have. I'm not going to do it just cause they yell. use the search engine on this forum.

10. DiveCon

DiveCon gone

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    in this thread?