The 800-pound pink gorilla in the room

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Indiana's 'religious freedom' bill, how is it not doing exactly what religious people feared would happen if gay marriage was made legal? 'If gays can marry, next will be polygamy, then incest, then beastiality, and pedophilia legalized.'

And yet, by allowing religious business owners to discriminate against whom ever they choose on religious grounds, aren't they making legal anything and everything weird, immoral, and bizarre some religions permit?

Some religions permit polygany (men may have multiple wives.) So will that become legal since it's a 'sincerely held belief' for Jews, some Christians, Mormons, and Muslims?

Some religions permit underaged marriage (relative to secular law.) Judaism for example allows 12 year-old girls, and 13 year-old boys to marry. Will that become legal?

Some religions permit animal sacrifice as with Voodoo and Santeria. Will animal cruelty become legal?

Seems to me that it isn't gay marriage that's threatening a slippery slope cascade but religion.

Indiana's 'religious freedom' bill, how is it not doing exactly what religious people feared would happen if gay marriage was made legal? 'If gays can marry, next will be polygamy, then incest, then beastiality, and pedophilia legalized.'

And yet, by allowing religious business owners to discriminate against whom ever they choose on religious grounds, aren't they making legal anything and everything weird, immoral, and bizarre some religions permit?

Some religions permit polygany (men may have multiple wives.) So will that become legal since it's a 'sincerely held belief' for Jews, some Christians, Mormons, and Muslims?

Some religions permit underaged marriage (relative to secular law.) Judaism for example allows 12 year-old girls, and 13 year-old boys to marry. Will that become legal?

Some religions permit animal sacrifice as with Voodoo and Santeria. Will animal cruelty become legal?

Seems to me that it isn't gay marriage that's threatening a slippery slope cascade but religion.
Quite a stretch there.
Not one to use fear tactics, are we?
I'm sure that someone can claim they have a right to commit animal cruelty, but burden of proof is on them to prove it in court. It's just a matter of someone suing them.

This is the problem with electing dishonest lawyers. They dream up issues like this only because they can be confusing. Fact is, any law can be twisted out of shape and abused. Obama has been doing it for over 6 years in the White House. His staff of former ACLU lawyers have been doing it to transform this country since the day he took office.

Quite a stretch there.
I'm sure that someone can claim they have a right to commit animal cruelty, but burden of proof is on them to prove it in court. It's just a matter of someone suing them.

This is the problem with electing dishonest lawyers. They dream up issues like this only because they can be confusing. Fact is, any law can be twisted out of shape and abused. Obama has been doing it for over 6 years in the White House. His staff of former ACLU lawyers have been doing it to transform this country since the day he took office.

'Dishonest lawyer' is an oxymoron. Laws are just so convoluted and complex that you need a professional to interpret them for you, and since most can be interpreted more than one way, lawyers are good at finding the loopholes. Just as we need mathematicians to explain advanced maths to us, we need lawyers to explain laws.

While the Indiana law is obviously trying to legalize discrimination on religious grounds, a bigger point is beginning to take shape as with the introduction of 'corporations as individuals.' I'm wondering if this might also be about more than just religious discrimination. Some kind of corporate power grab where not only are they "people" for political reasons, but also now "people for religious reasons." More we let a corporation be considered a person like you and I, more powerful they become. When they're already too powerful.

Quite a stretch there.

'Dishonest lawyer' is an oxymoron. Laws are just so convoluted and complex that you need a professional to interpret them for you, and since most can be interpreted more than one way, lawyers are good at finding the loopholes. Just as we need mathematicians to explain advanced maths to us, we need lawyers to explain laws.

While the Indiana law is obviously trying to legalize discrimination on religious grounds, a bigger point is beginning to take shape as with the introduction of 'corporations as individuals.' I'm wondering if this might also be about more than just religious discrimination. Some kind of corporate power grab where not only are they "people" for political reasons, but also now "people for religious reasons." More we let a corporation be considered a person like you and I, more powerful they become. When they're already too powerful.
Dishonest lawyer is an oxymoron?

I bet you trust used car salesmen too.

Quite a stretch there.

Dishonest lawyer is an oxymoron?

I bet you trust used car salesmen too.
That what he does for a living...

I have not read the law but it sure seems to be the right one considering the angst it is spreading throughout the left wing.

What you post about marriage, underage and polygamy, is more of an argument against gay marriage then religious freedom. We have had those laws for a very long time and not many, are aruging against them for religious reasons. After all there is actually a constitutional right to freedom of religion, not so marriage of any sort. So states should have the ability to regulate marriage as they see fit more so then regulate religion at all.

But that is not how it is. Gay marriage is legal in my state not by law or consent of the people, but because of a lack of law. A law was passed and that law was shot down? Why? Oh yeah, they give lots of BS reasons but it is more agenda, or belief of a judge, then based on the will of the people.

So folks like you will say Christian do not act in a certain way you think they should thus they are evil or something along those lines. But don't you see that is exactly what the first amendment is all about? YOU not inflicting YOUR belief onto those of faith. Does the first amendment allow people to hurt other people because of their religious beliefs hell no, never did.

The law is the slippery slope of which the far right social cons have been yammering about for some time.

D4E makes a very good case for it.

I have not read the law but it sure seems to be the right one considering the angst it is spreading throughout the left wing.

What you post about marriage, underage and polygamy, is more of an argument against gay marriage then religious freedom. We have had those laws for a very long time and not many, are aruging against them for religious reasons. After all there is actually a constitutional right to freedom of religion, not so marriage of any sort. So states should have the ability to regulate marriage as they see fit more so then regulate religion at all.

But that is not how it is. Gay marriage is legal in my state not by law or consent of the people, but because of a lack of law. A law was passed and that law was shot down? Why? Oh yeah, they give lots of BS reasons but it is more agenda, or belief of a judge, then based on the will of the people.

So folks like you will say Christian do not act in a certain way you think they should thus they are evil or something along those lines. But don't you see that is exactly what the first amendment is all about? YOU not inflicting YOUR belief onto those of faith. Does the first amendment allow people to hurt other people because of their religious beliefs hell no, never did.

"I have not read the law but ..."

:lol:

=====

The laws against marriage equality are unconstitutional.

Marriage equality is the right of every American. If it were not, the fundie nutters wouldn't be scurrying around trying to outlaw it.

Disgusting that the same people who fight against the equal rights of consenting adults are also those who defend admitted child predators Ted Nugent, Warren Jeffs, Phil Robertson.

10401930_10152228904091275_6935764536842631515_n_zps0e522403.jpg

Forum List

Back