The 8 Places that have the most Germs:

I love how the author is a germophobe, using alarmist language throughout the piece:

Watch out! Shopping cart handles are a breeding ground for infectious viruses and gut-wrenching bacteria.

And yet, the expert she cites is anything but alarmist:

“We encounter about 60,000 types of germs every year, but if you’re healthy, there’s no need to fear going out in public,” Tierno says: Only 1%-2% are potentially dangerous to people with normal immunity. Plus, the body has an incredible ability to fight off germs. Special cells called neutrophils and lymphocytes (white blood cells) attack any microscopic invader.

Then, she encourages the development of antibiotic-resistant-bacteria:

Germ-free fix: Use disinfecting wipes on handlebars and seats - many stores now offer these at the entrance.

Last edited:
Very few germs are pathogens. I remember reading that 50% of out body weight is made up of symbiotic bacteria. In other words, we need germs in order to survive.

Best thing to do with germs is to keep clean. Pathogens are more likely to be in certain places.

she missed the most obvious, hospitals.

Actually, hospitals are some of the cleanest places. They use special ventilation in their air systems to filter germs in the area, and then of course all the surfaces are cleaned multiple times per day.

Aww poor willow, she thought she had one there and you ruined it with facts.

You must hate undereducated elderly ladies, to do something like that to her.

My mother worked with a woman who unintentionally ingested that hand sanitizer stuff. It totally screwed with her ability to properly digest food for MONTHS!!! I'm a teacher, so I swear by hand sanitizer, but I also think that a few germs here and there are probably much better for us (in terms of building up immunities instead of building super-bugs that are resistant to all our defenses) than sanitizing everything we look at. :)

My mother worked with a woman who unintentionally ingested that hand sanitizer stuff. It totally screwed with her ability to properly digest food for MONTHS!!! I'm a teacher, so I swear by hand sanitizer, but I also think that a few germs here and there are probably much better for us (in terms of building up immunities instead of building super-bugs that are resistant to all our defenses) than sanitizing everything we look at. :)

I agree, I think I've built up such a good immune system as a teacher, I hardly ever get sick, yet I'm around snotty nosed kids all day.

I agree, I think I've built up such a good immune system as a teacher, I hardly ever get sick, yet I'm around snotty nosed kids all day.
That's also a sign of good nutrition ;)

That's also a sign of good nutrition ;)

Damn straight Skippy!

Vegetarians Rule! :thup:

gardenburger.png

Left out of the list:

No Family

note from the poster: this is intended for humorous purposes only, and not directed at any single poster. Rather the subject of the joke, "no family", is intended as a generic, catchall type of joke. Poster means no offense to any user's mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, son, daughter, grandmother, grandfather, or chihuahuas. For similar usage of the generic catchall form of one liner joke, see: TWSS, or "thats what she said" which can be googled at your convenience.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back