The 8 Most Exciting Solar Projects in the U.S. [Updated]

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
This is from September, but it's still relevent and obviously needed on this forum, for those who still think solar power is a pipe dream that will never happen.

It IS happening.

800px-Solarplant-050406-04.jpg

Sunlight is the world's most plentiful resource. That is, of course, why the United States has scrambled in recent years to supplant dirty, nonrenewable energy sources with ambitious solar projects. Below, we look at some of the most exciting solar projects--both existing and planned--in the country.

1. Solar Energy Generating Systems
Located in California's Mojave desert, the Solar Energy Generating Systems (SEGS) plant is the largest active solar energy facility in the world. The Luz International-designed solar thermal plant has an installed capacity of 354 MW, features 936,384 parabolic mirrors and spans more than 1,600 acres. In total, SEGS provides power for 232,500 homes. The nine solar plants at the site were built between 1984 and 1990.

2. Nevada Solar One
This Boulder City, Nevada plant, completed in 2007, is the largest solar thermal plant to be built since 1991. The $266 million concentrated solar plant has a maximum capacity of 75 MW, and produces 134 million kilowatt hours of power each year. Components for the plant come from a variety of suppliers, including Siemens, Flabeg AG, Schott Solar, and Solel Solar Systems.

main_pic.jpg

3. Solana Generating Station
This Gila Bend, Arizona plant will have a capacity of 280 MW--enough to power 70,000 homes--when it is completed in 2013. Arizona Public Service has already contracted to buy all of the produced power from Solana's $2 billion concentrated solar plant. The Abengoa-manufactured plant is expected to create 1,500 construction jobs and 85 full-time positions.

*snip*

7. Blythe Solar Power Project
If built, this proposed $6 billion solar thermal project in Blythe, California will produce a whopping 1000 MW of power, making it the largest solar power plant in the world. That's a big "if," though--Solar Millennium and Chevron Energy Solutions have yet to get the project approved by the California Public Utilities Commission. Update: The project was approved by the CPUC this week. The next step is to get final approval from the Bureau of Land Management.

Before I went my pants, how many homes will these projects power. For example, with these projects, what percentage of CA's power will come from solar power?

My guess is, and I don't want to be pestimissitic, is about 2-3% of CA needs!

Before I went my pants, how many homes will these projects power. For example, with these projects, what percentage of CA's power will come from solar power?

Yeah, that's a tough question. :cuckoo:

Try reading the OP!

#1 says SEGS provides power for 232,500 homes.

#3 says 70,000 homes.

#7 says "California will produce a whopping 1000 MW of power, making it the largest solar power plant in the world". That will cover close to a million homes.

Better question. How many INDUSTRIES can one of those plants supply with consistent, reliable power?

#7 says "California will produce a whopping 1000 MW of power, making it the largest solar power plant in the world". That will cover close to a million homes.

While the sun is shining. Oops.

Try reading the OP!

#3 says 70,000 homes.

What percentage of CA will be powered by solar power after these projects?

The plants are located in Mojave California, Boulder City Nevada and Gila Bend Arizona and Blythe California where the sun shines 300+ days a year! Everywhere else: No dice. :lol:

Last edited:
The plants are located in Mojave California, Boulder City Nevada and Gila Bend Arizona and Blythe California where the sun shines 300+ days a year! Everywhere else: No dice. :lol:
And even in the Mojave, night still happens.

Better question. How many INDUSTRIES can one of those plants supply with consistent, reliable power?

It's not meant to be the only source of power, but a supplement that will lower our dependence on foreign oil. It goes into the grid which you well know, but choose to ignore in favor of your well-documented biases toward anything that makes sense.

And even in the Mojave, night still happens.

According to conservative icon Dan Quayle, that's when you'd travel to the sun and grab up even more energy. :lol::lol::lol:
Dan Quayle? Really? Didn't making Quayle jokes go out of style with Murphy Brown?

Link to the quote?

It's not meant to be the only source of power
Bullshit.

Oh wait wait...you're right. They want wind to take care of the rest. :rolleyes:

Who is "they"? You got a problem with trying to wean ourselves off of foreign oil? You're a joke and another on the list of poster children for the Dumbing Down of America!!!
morons like you who are scared all to pieces of every reliable piece of energy generating tech and fuel out there preferring to rely on failed, unproven and untested industries that cannot sustain or replace things that work perfectly well.

To be thought stupid by ecofascists is to be wise in reality.

Last edited:
Bullshit.

Oh wait wait...you're right. They want wind to take care of the rest. :rolleyes:

Who is "they"? You got a problem with trying to wean ourselves off of foreign oil? You're a joke and another on the list of poster children for the Dumbing Down of America!!!
morons like you who are scared all to pieces of every reliable piece of energy generating tech and fuel out there preferring to rely on failed, unproven and untested industries that cannot sustain or replace things that work perfectly well.

To be thought stupid by ecofascists is to be wise in reality.

Must be getting to you, Fitz. Not a single piece of useful info, just trash talk. That might work with the other brain-dead wingnuts, but those of us with intelligence only :lol: at what passes for debate these days.

This is from September, but it's still relevent and obviously needed on this forum, for those who still think solar power is a pipe dream that will never happen.

It IS happening.

800px-Solarplant-050406-04.jpg

Sunlight is the world's most plentiful resource. That is, of course, why the United States has scrambled in recent years to supplant dirty, nonrenewable energy sources with ambitious solar projects. Below, we look at some of the most exciting solar projects--both existing and planned--in the country.

1. Solar Energy Generating Systems
Located in California's Mojave desert, the Solar Energy Generating Systems (SEGS) plant is the largest active solar energy facility in the world. The Luz International-designed solar thermal plant has an installed capacity of 354 MW, features 936,384 parabolic mirrors and spans more than 1,600 acres. In total, SEGS provides power for 232,500 homes. The nine solar plants at the site were built between 1984 and 1990.

2. Nevada Solar One
This Boulder City, Nevada plant, completed in 2007, is the largest solar thermal plant to be built since 1991. The $266 million concentrated solar plant has a maximum capacity of 75 MW, and produces 134 million kilowatt hours of power each year. Components for the plant come from a variety of suppliers, including Siemens, Flabeg AG, Schott Solar, and Solel Solar Systems.

main_pic.jpg

3. Solana Generating Station
This Gila Bend, Arizona plant will have a capacity of 280 MW--enough to power 70,000 homes--when it is completed in 2013. Arizona Public Service has already contracted to buy all of the produced power from Solana's $2 billion concentrated solar plant. The Abengoa-manufactured plant is expected to create 1,500 construction jobs and 85 full-time positions.

*snip*

7. Blythe Solar Power Project
If built, this proposed $6 billion solar thermal project in Blythe, California will produce a whopping 1000 MW of power, making it the largest solar power plant in the world. That's a big "if," though--Solar Millennium and Chevron Energy Solutions have yet to get the project approved by the California Public Utilities Commission. Update: The project was approved by the CPUC this week. The next step is to get final approval from the Bureau of Land Management.

oh neat....

Try reading the OP!

#3 says 70,000 homes.

What percentage of CA will be powered by solar power after these projects?
Well, I don't know. But if you click the link, you will see that a number of these projects are in California. So even if it ends up being 5 million homes, that covers close to 20 million people, figuring an average of 4 people per household.

That's 5 million houses/20 million people who are not using oil, lessening demand, lessening cost.

It's not meant to be the only source of power, but a supplement that will lower our dependence on foreign oil. It goes into the grid which you well know, but choose to ignore in favor of your well-documented biases toward anything that makes sense.

1% of U.S. electricity is generated using crude oil.

So... this must be what Obama was talking about in his State of the Union Speech. He said we need one million electric cars on the road, and he said we will pay for it by taxing the domestic petroleum industry (to the tune of $40 billion as per his budget proposals).

WIN THE FUTURE RIGHT HERE FOLKS. STEP RIGHT UP.

It's not meant to be the only source of power

Bullshit.

They act all threatened when you say you want to lessen dependency on foreign oil! :lol:

Why do they love the Saudis so much?

Forum List

Back