The 72 virgins?

ty
What are the differences?
Let me break down the differences between Shia and Sunni for they average western person.

Shia Islam could be compared to the Catholic religion. (15% of muslims)

There is a hierarchy of religious leaders with the top man being the Ayatolla.

The Grand Ayatolla is like the Pope in Catholicism, but with way much more power, and is to be obeyed without question.

Shias are basically a cult because the Ayatolla's word can even override the words of the Quran.

Plus, they worship saints, pray to saints, and basically believe in all sorts of magic; all of which are totally unIslamic and against the teachings of Muhammad.

Sunni Islam could be compared to Protestant/ Evangelical type of Christianity. (85% of muslims)

There is no central authority or religious hierarchy over the believers.

Sunni's believe in the literal interpretation of the Quran; and that the Quran is the final authority concerning any issue. Period.

Each mosque is independent and built mainly by funds gathered from the local community.

If an Imam teaches something you disagree with. Then you are free to go down the street and pray at another mosque.

ty
What are the differences?
Let me break down the differences between Shia and Sunni for they average western person.

Shia Islam could be compared to the Catholic religion. (15% of muslims)

There is a hierarchy of religious leaders with the top man being the Ayatolla.

The Grand Ayatolla is like the Pope in Catholicism, but with way much more power, and is to be obeyed without question.

Shias are basically a cult because the Ayatolla's word can even override the words of the Quran.

Plus, they worship saints, pray to saints, and basically believe in all sorts of magic; all of which are totally unIslamic and against the teachings of Muhammad.

Sunni Islam could be compared to Protestant/ Evangelical type of Christianity. (85% of muslims)

There is no central authority or religious hierarchy over the believers.

Sunni's believe in the literal interpretation of the Quran; and that the Quran is the final authority concerning any issue. Period.

Each mosque is independent and built mainly by funds gathered from the local community.

If an Imam teaches something you disagree with. Then you are free to go down the street and pray at another mosque.

Thats a pretty fair description, isn't there a difference in the way they pray though?

When it comes to the basics concerning prayer and such.

Both are pretty much the same except for body posture. (arms to the side vers arms folded)

I have prayed next to a Shia before.

How I knew he was Shia is because they carry a small piece of clay; basically a piece of pottery.

They set it in front of them, and when they touch their head to the floor during prayer, their forehead rests on the small piece of clay.

That's because they believe that a muslims forehead must touch the earth (piece of clay made from dirt) during prayer indoors.

Last edited:

Both are pretty much the same except for body posture. (arms to the side vers arms folded)

How I knew he was Shia is because they carry a small piece of clay; basically a piece of pottery.

They set it in front of them, and when they touch their head to the floor during prayer, their forehead rests on the small piece of clay.

That's because they believe that a muslims forehead must touch the earth (piece of clay made from dirt) during prayer indoors.

I didn't know about the clay thing.

Our Prophet used to pray on rock too, it's not a Shia thing, that's where the black spot on the head comes from. Praying on hard surface.

Our Prophet used to pray on rock too, it's not a Shia thing, that's where the black spot on the head comes from. Praying on hard surface.
Praying outside on the ground was how it was done in the past.

But now most muslims pray inside the mosque on a soft carpet.

I have never seen a Sunni muslim pull out a piece of clay chard at the mosque to rest his forehead on during prostration.

But it seems to be standard practice with Shia muslims. :cool:

Praying outside on the ground was how it was done in the past.

But now most muslims pray inside the mosque on a soft carpet.

I have never seen a Sunni muslim pull out a piece of clay chard at the mosque to rest his forehead on during prostration.

But it seems to be standard practice with Shia muslims. :cool:

Yes we do. The clay is not supposed to happen. That's foolish. But our people purposely prayed outside sometimes specifically our Prophet. On floor or hard rock. He would go by himself outside and pray and cry on a rock.

You are right they didn't have that many mosques but later they did. But still Sunnah people actually do pray on hard surfaces sometimes. Is best to pray Jammah in the mosque though :)

Last edited:
thanks all

are shittes shia muslims then?

or am I confusing that with something else?

whats AQ, Hamas, Hezbolla, etc?

Correct. Shiites are Shia Muslims.

AQ is a mix of salafi and extreme Sunni . Also Wahhabi. Salafis are Sunni in general btw.

Hezbollah is Shia.

Hamas is moderate Sunni Muslim.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back