The 72 Dolphins werent that great

In talking more about the Dolphins undefeated season here.this holds so true below.
"Good point.They were no fluke for sure.Not to take anything away from that great achivement of going undefeated that season but what most people dont know is they got extremely lucky in a couple of those games to achieve that.No surprise because to do that,luck does come into play."

My uncle told me a few years ago he was living in the Miami area that year that happened and he said he vividly recalled a couple of games they had where it was pure luck because in a couple of those games they had, the other team had a fumble deep in their own territory when they were up by a field goal or so with just 30 seconds or so to play and the dolphins capitalized on the mistake with a touchdown to win the game and another where the other team had like just a two point lead but they fumbled a punt deep in their own territory and the dolphins were able to come back and win it on a field goal again with something like just 20 seconds left in the game or so.

I can handle all manner of blasphemy.

But this????

:fu:

my oh my a dolphin fan who is butthurt.

never mind the fact I gave them credit and was even about to say them going undefeated was pretty impressive back then especially since most the season they were without their starting quarterback.:rolleyes-41:

I just found this below here for the other posters reading.

after Griese broke his ankle in week 5 and came back for the 3rd quarter of the AFC Championship game.

I give them credit saying it was impressive and some troll is butthurt over facts.lol

Bumped because the thread is more interesting that the latest Obamantics.

Fun to read this stuff from the vantage point of time.

Oh now that I realise this is an old dead thread,i feel silly replying to those previous posts.lol

this thread wont last long,dead threads seldom do i have discovered. no wonder that one troll came out of the woodwork out of nowhere.

I can handle all manner of blasphemy.

But this????

:fu:

my oh my a dolphin fan who is butthurt.

never mind the fact I gave them credit and was even about to say them going undefeated was pretty impressive back then especially since most the season they were without their starting quarterback.:rolleyes-41:

I just found this below here for the other posters reading.

after Griese broke his ankle in week 5 and came back for the 3rd quarter of the AFC Championship game.

I give them credit saying it was impressive and some troll is butthurt over facts.lol
The finger was aimed at the OP.
Not you, 911
:cool:

The fact of the matter is that they are the only team to go through the regular season and playoffs and win an NFL Championship without losing a game. Then the next year they won again losing just 2 games proving they were not a fluke.

After rolling over the Buffalo Bills earlier on the road, Game #6 in the Orange Bowl in Miami proved to be the 1972 Dolphins closest game so far. Leading 23-0, at halftime, and having knocked Buffalo's starting QB out of the game, it appeared Miami would breeze to their 7th win. Strangely, Buffalo came out in the second half with a rookie QB, whose first two passes of his NFL career went for touchdown's. The Bills defense forced and recovered four turnovers, and Buffalo countered Miami's strong running game of Czonka and Mercury Morris, with FB Jim Braxton and O.J. Simpson.

Buffalo rallied to 24-23 with less than a minute remaining, on a Braxton TD run, and had the football inside the Miami 30-yard line, third and inches. They ran O.J. Simpson up the middle (why wouldn't they). The Miami defense, of course was expecting it. They stood O.J. upright at the line, the officials didn't blow the whistle for forward progress, he only needed inches for the first down, and than the Dolphins knocked him backward. When he landed on his back, the football popped out, Miami recovered it as a fumble, and held on for the closest win of their 72 undefeated season. Buffalo's owner was furious, and told the press if that officiating crew ever did another Bills game, he would keep his team in the locker room. He got hit with a mega fine, which he paid without complaining. That crew never got assigned to the Bills again (it was Jerry Markwright's first NFL game as an official - he would end up the senior NFL official in his career). The league would later review that play (Buffalo had an excellent FG kicker and probably, without the fumble, won the game), and instituted a new rule - the ground can't cause a fumble.

Such are the unusual plays of the NFL. Immaculate Reception, Steelers-Oakland; Holy Roller Play - Oakland-San Diego; Ground Can't cause the fumble - Bills-Dolphins; Patriots playoff game where the ground crew snowplowed the kicker's spot for the winning FG and The Tuck Rule (this one I think the officials invented on the spot); Partrots and Tom Brady-Oakland Raiders (seems like the Raiders were involved in a lot of these controversial plays.

Anyways those 72 Dolphins were a great team, nobody has knocked off the 17-0 record yet and won the Super Bowl in the same year. Pats ran off an 18-0 season, and got knocked off by the Giants in the Super Bowl. 1971-72-73 Miami, three straight Super Bowl appearances - two victories, and the 72 team didn't have their star QB Bob Griese, Earl Morrell was the QB of that club.

BTW, the Dolphins alumni of that club doesn't have a celebration party whenever the last undefeated team of any particular season goes down. It is only about 3-5 players at most who have ever got together for a few drinks when that happens, never more than five. Larry Czonka? Surprising not even a welcome returnee to Miami after he retired, for whatever reason's, lives in either Alaska or Montana.................

The fact of the matter is that they are the only team to go through the regular season and playoffs and win an NFL Championship without losing a game. Then the next year they won again losing just 2 games proving they were not a fluke.

Those Dolphin teams were a very good team. Griese, Csonka, Kick, Morris, Warfield, Buonoconti, Scott

But I think both the Steelers and Raiders had better teams in the 70s

Maybe true but the Raiders weren't better than the Steelers that day and the Steelers weren't better than Miami the next night.

Forum List

Back