The 47% Strawman

Remember, it was a Republican President and Legend, Ronald Reagan, who exempted people below the poverty line to pay income taxes with the passage of the 1986 Tax Reform Act.

For all the right wing rhetoric that the poor need to pay more, it was a Republican icon who made the decision to exempt the poor from income taxes. According to Reagan, "millions of the working poor will be dropped from the tax rolls altogether, it will be the best poverty bill, and it is pro-family."

It starts getting good around 7:36.
President Reagans Remarks on Signing the Tax Reform Act of 1986 - 10/22/86 - YouTube!

But isn't that the same tired story you guys keep using. "If you want to raise taxes, nothing is stopping you from sending in more money".

So how does that not apply in reverse to? "If you don't think people should be getting back more than they pay in, shouldn't you send it back?"

Show me where TT said he wants to raise taxes.

LOL, I get it. It's a semantic game. Because he didn't say it in this thread means he doesnt think the poor are getting a free ride. I got it.

I wouldn't call all those folks who get back more than they pay in poor.

Just as I wouldn't call someone making 250K a year rich

I'm a capitalist. Hell, I'm a business-owner and a REAL job creator in that, everyone I hire is actually American.
So I watch FOX and then I see the parroting on this and other boards about how "OMG! How can they ask the Rich to pay more in income tax?!?! 47% of Americans don't even pay taxes!"
This is a pretty good strawman. It's deceitful as hell, combines truth with lies and uses some great misdirection to get attention of the real crux of the issue.
1. Those 47% do pay taxes. They pay them every time they buy things etc... We're just at a point in our history where so many people are broke, they don't pay income taxes.
2. The Effective Rate thing. They use the 47% don't pay taxes as if it applies to the Middle Class. it doesn't. Ask yourself this question: Do youpay taxes? About what percent do you pay? If it's more than 18%, you're paying more than millionaires or most business-owners. If it's more than 0%, you're paying more than many international companies that are based in the USA. Do people like me, who employ 100% American workers, get special tax loopholes from the government? Do we get special consideration, investment, tax credits, subsidies or breaks? Nope. Who does? Companies that ship jobs overseas. Do those companies ship jobs to say, India for tax reasons? The rate in India is 33% and the average effective rate is higher than the USA. So no, that's a bill of goods that is being bought by a lot of people lately.
3. "But everyone has the same laws so the rich don't get anything that others can't have! They're just smarter!" This is completel bs. Could you have your boss "hold" 90% of your pay for a few years, so you won't have to pay taxes on it? Of course not. Our tax code is specifically designed to be unfair. Income deferments, Stock options, insurance etc... are all things that "anyone" can use but practically speaking, someone making $50K a year can't live on $5K a year. But someone making $20 MILLION a year can probably scratch by on $170,000 a month.

So yes. Our tax system is unfair. It offers loopholes to "everyone" - that only the rich can afford to use. This is the only country I've ever lived in, where people will actually say "Oh those poor rich people, THEY are the ones needing protecting!" .
Now they're talking about eliminating the deduction for mortgage interest. Does anyone NOT see the long-term consequence of such follishness? Some day historians will look at this period at our history and say "That's when the Middle Class that used to exist in America, voted themselves out of existence."

Most don't pay taxes....

You think tax write-offs are exclusive to the rich??

The only tax the 47% pay is a fucking sales tax -- And that is the only unbiased tax their is.

The 47% get big fat checks in the mail via our federal and state governments every April, May or June for a reason - They didn't make enough to be taxed..

Yet of course on the other-hand it's the rich who are taxed -- they don't get a fucking income tax return -- THEY PAY FUCKING MONEY TO THE GOVERNMENT..

Of course its the 47% that benefit from the "53%" considering their the ones PAYING THE GOVERNMENT to provide in various ways for the other 47%, weather it be via college or welfare...

Oh, BTW it is quite obvious Keynesian economics is a failure..

So for those that "don't pay" here is how they breakdown.

31% of nonpaying American households making $10,000 or less per year in 2010. An American household of any size making this amount of money, including just one person, is automatically under the poverty threshold.

61% of nonpaying American households making $20,000 or less per year.

87% of nonpaying American households making $40,000 or less per year.

And just to add this nugget

16.3% of their incomes that the bottom 20 percent of American earners paid in all forms of taxes combined, on average, in 2010. Some taxes, like state, local, sales, and payroll taxes, take a larger percentage of poor people's income than they do the top 1 percent's.

By the Numbers: What the 47 Percent Who Pay No Income Tax Look Like - Yahoo! News

Ok, knowing this. How much should those people be made to pay? Specifically.

The EXACT SAME % AS EVERY OTHER CITIZEN, ON EVERY DOLLAR OF INCOME, NO EXCEPTIONS

Most don't pay taxes....

You think tax write-offs are exclusive to the rich??

The only tax the 47% pay is a fucking sales tax -- And that is the only unbiased tax their is.

The 47% get big fat checks in the mail via our federal and state governments every April, May or June for a reason - They didn't make enough to be taxed..

Yet of course on the other-hand it's the rich who are taxed -- they don't get a fucking income tax return -- THEY PAY FUCKING MONEY TO THE GOVERNMENT..

Of course its the 47% that benefit from the "53%" considering their the ones PAYING THE GOVERNMENT to provide in various ways for the other 47%, weather it be via college or welfare...

Oh, BTW it is quite obvious Keynesian economics is a failure..

31% of nonpaying American households making $10,000 or less per year in 2010. An American household of any size making this amount of money, including just one person, is automatically under the poverty threshold.

16.3% of their incomes that the bottom 20 percent of American earners paid in all forms of taxes combined, on average, in 2010. Some taxes, like state, local, sales, and payroll taxes, take a larger percentage of poor people's income than they do the top 1 percent's.

By the Numbers: What the 47 Percent Who Pay No Income Tax Look Like - Yahoo! News

The EXACT SAME % AS EVERY OTHER CITIZEN, ON EVERY DOLLAR OF INCOME, NO EXCEPTIONS

What number? I know already your ideas are tragically flawed by I like a good laugh so go ahead and enlighten me with a number that would work for you.

Envy of the poor in 3,2,1......

I'm a capitalist. Hell, I'm a business-owner and a REAL job creator in that, everyone I hire is actually American.
So I watch FOX and then I see the parroting on this and other boards about how "OMG! How can they ask the Rich to pay more in income tax?!?! 47% of Americans don't even pay taxes!"
This is a pretty good strawman. It's deceitful as hell, combines truth with lies and uses some great misdirection to get attention of the real crux of the issue.
1. Those 47% do pay taxes. They pay them every time they buy things etc... We're just at a point in our history where so many people are broke, they don't pay income taxes.
2. The Effective Rate thing. They use the 47% don't pay taxes as if it applies to the Middle Class. it doesn't. Ask yourself this question: Do youpay taxes? About what percent do you pay? If it's more than 18%, you're paying more than millionaires or most business-owners. If it's more than 0%, you're paying more than many international companies that are based in the USA. Do people like me, who employ 100% American workers, get special tax loopholes from the government? Do we get special consideration, investment, tax credits, subsidies or breaks? Nope. Who does? Companies that ship jobs overseas. Do those companies ship jobs to say, India for tax reasons? The rate in India is 33% and the average effective rate is higher than the USA. So no, that's a bill of goods that is being bought by a lot of people lately.
3. "But everyone has the same laws so the rich don't get anything that others can't have! They're just smarter!" This is completel bs. Could you have your boss "hold" 90% of your pay for a few years, so you won't have to pay taxes on it? Of course not. Our tax code is specifically designed to be unfair. Income deferments, Stock options, insurance etc... are all things that "anyone" can use but practically speaking, someone making $50K a year can't live on $5K a year. But someone making $20 MILLION a year can probably scratch by on $170,000 a month.

So yes. Our tax system is unfair. It offers loopholes to "everyone" - that only the rich can afford to use. This is the only country I've ever lived in, where people will actually say "Oh those poor rich people, THEY are the ones needing protecting!" .
Now they're talking about eliminating the deduction for mortgage interest. Does anyone NOT see the long-term consequence of such follishness? Some day historians will look at this period at our history and say "That's when the Middle Class that used to exist in America, voted themselves out of existence."

Very few of us actually pay as much as even 15% the cap gains rate. We think we are because we focus on the "marginal" rate, that is the rate that the next dollar is taxed. But with deductions and exemptions the actual percentage we pay is a completely different story.

from my 2007 tax return (family of two)
Adjusted Gross Income - $94,195
Tax Bracket - 25%
Federal tax (not incl SE tax) - 10,999
effective federal rate - 11.68%

The 47-percenter complaint concerns those who pay no federal taxes; of course they pay taxes in their community, and those taxes have direct benefits, instead of going into the Federal jackpot. And FICA and its' payments represent a personal "insurance" payment for later direct benefits, both medical and retirement, and as such is not a federal tax.

For those who willingly risk their already taxed earnings, their accumulated wealth, I'm perfectly happy that they only pay 15%, Remember, that's only if they earn a return. If they lose they only get to deduct the losses for a limited number of years from future earnings from risk. Those cap gains rates inject capital into the sytem that directly or indirectly creates jobs, AND creates additional new taxpayers paying into the system.

Last edited:
What percentage is that? I asked for specifics.

Income/personal gains - 8% at the federal level.

I suppose per the Tenth Amendment states could tax themselves into oblivion (as if its not happening today for that matter)...

So 8% for all? And what do you think that means to someone making less than $20,000 a year? Do you think that $1,600 they no longer have will have a significant impact on their life?

And now that those that are better off are only paying 8% what will that do to our nations deficit and the money we owe?

Seems like 8% will only hurt the poor and hurt or country even further by increasing our deficit. No?

It doesn't matter.....

It's not the governments responsibility to steal from the rich and give to the poor...

We should be promoting productivity NOT government dependency..

Not to mention the majority of those who make a decent salary or are uber rich at one point were poor, the difference is they went out and did something, worked hard and now are living a comfortable life. They certainly didn't demand government provide for them.

Last edited:
Income/personal gains - 8% at the federal level.

I suppose per the Tenth Amendment states could tax themselves into oblivion (as if its not happening today for that matter)...

So 8% for all? And what do you think that means to someone making less than $20,000 a year? Do you think that $1,600 they no longer have will have a significant impact on their life?

And now that those that are better off are only paying 8% what will that do to our nations deficit and the money we owe?

Seems like 8% will only hurt the poor and hurt or country even further by increasing our deficit. No?

It doesn't matter.....

It's not the governments position to steal from the rich and give to the poor...

Not to mention the majority of those who make a decent salary or are uber rich at one point were poor, the difference is they went out and did something, worked hard and now are living a comfortable life. They certainly didn't demand government provide for them.

What doesn't matter? That this would even further cripple the poorest among us or that this would only further hurt our deficit situation?

What number? I know already your ideas are tragically flawed by I like a good laugh so go ahead and enlighten me with a number that would work for you.

I love how you claim the poor are discriminated against - yet you advocate the rich be discriminated against...

What the FUCK is wrong with you.

Assholes like yourself don't stand for equality - you stand for your own fucked up ideas of "social justice."

You fucking retards see the world as a 1st grader would. "No fair that little Billy has more juice than I do."

Then you wonder why people call you Marxists??

Last edited:

It doesn't matter.....

It's not the governments position to steal from the rich and give to the poor...

What doesn't matter? That this would even further cripple the poorest among us or that this would only further hurt our deficit situation?

There is NOTHING stopping any poor person in this country from success.

It just so happens some people are fucking idiots and some are not. The idiots like to complain yet are unwilling to take the time and work to become successful. In short they're lazy. Success isn't worth their time.

I love how you claim the poor are discriminated against - yet you advocate the rich be discriminated against...

Assholes like yourself don't stand for equality - you stand for your own fucked up ideas of "social justice."

You fucking retards see the world as a 1st grader would. "No fair that little Billy has more juice than I do."

Tsk tsk, when all else fails get angry and start using insults. I was trying to have a discussion with you about the real world implications of the 8% flat tax you wanted to see happen. When your response was "It doesn't matter", that tells me you either haven't thought this through or you truly don't care what happens to the country. I'll let you pick.

It doesn't matter.....

It just so happens some people are fucking idiots and some are not. The idiots like to complain yet are unwilling to take the time and work to become successful. In short they're lazy. Success isn't worth their time.

Ok, why don't you tell me how you made your first million dollars. When you can't do that, I'll ask you why you're a "fucking idiot" and are "unwilling to take the time to work to become successful."

Ready.....Go!

It doesn't matter.....

And nice job avoiding my question again. So I'll ask again. Which part "doesn't matter"? That your proposal would make things harder for the poor or that your proposal would hurt our debt situation even further. Try and not go off on a tangent this time and actually answer the actual question asked.

Tsk tsk, when all else fails get angry and start using insults. I was trying to have a discussion with you about the real world implications of the 8% flat tax you wanted to see happen. When your response was "It doesn't matter", that tells me you either haven't thought this through or you truly don't care what happens to the country. I'll let you pick.

The "real world" implications are a product of governments - more specifically governments that enjoy dictating economies and outcomes.

If you haven't realized - the democrats need the poor - so what motivation do democrats have to end poverty???? ABSOLUTELY NONE because if they did they may as well destroy the democratic party...

Democrats do their best to continue poverty just so they can exist - just so they have a base to pander to...

That's why they raise taxes -- so the government (democrats) can support you. Then they look all good and caring - like they care about you...

Open your fucking eyes...

There would be little poverty under Austrian School economics....

Sigh. Why are you using a strawman to attack a strawman? The actual statistic is that 47% of workers do not pay federal income taxes.

None of which are federal, just saying.

No I do not. They pay the exact same rate I do, on the amount I earn. When they go above a certain income they pay less on anything above that.

By the way, nobody anywhere gets tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas. If you are actually a businessman, something which I sincerely doubt given your complete inabilty to actually articulate how taxes work, you would know that what actually happens is that businesses get taxed for keeping jobs in the US. The ones that can afford to move their production then move it overseas to avoid the local taxes.

That actually makes two false statments in a post where you are arguing against strawmen. Most people would call that ironic, but I actually know what ironic means.

I deferred my income once to avoid taxes, and I was making far less than a million dollars. That was a few years ago, and I understand the process is more complicated now, but you can still do it if you get a large raise.

By the way, being smart and rich doesn't help. It turns out that Romney, who has teams of lawyers and accountants, actually overpaid his taxes by $44,000 last year. If the tax code is actually biased to help rich people how did he end up paying more than he needed to?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/b...taxes-than-he-owed-high-low-finance.html?_r=1

Considering how little you actually know about taxes I feel pretty safe ignoring your predictions of doom.

Ah it's you. Cowards hide behind the anonymity of the net and claim they deferred taxes etc... Real people don't have to. Google my name and I'm the first three entries. Look at my profiel and waddya know, our corporate website! Your turn. What? You can't? You're just SO important that the Rockafellers would be upset if you did?
You may now continue being full of crap. Not that that is surprising.
Oh, and you deferred NINETY PERCENT of your income? yeah okay... Oh wait. You couldn't do THAT could you? Seems the law is designed specifically to be advantageous to those who can defer an enormous percentage of their income doesn't it? NM. Kool-aid clouds the thinking.

Holy MOther of God................

Another member who is a legend in his own mind. I love the phonies in here the most............like this meathead and the fake soldier assholes.

Well Independent...........we're all real proud of ya!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_dance:

And nice job avoiding my question again. So I'll ask again. Which part "doesn't matter"? That your proposal would make things harder for the poor or that your proposal would hurt our debt situation even further. Try and not go off on a tangent this time and actually answer the actual question asked.

It doesn't matter because wealth is not FINITE..

It's not like our economy is a bag of M&M's and there is a FINITE amount of M&M's and a select few get the majority of the M&M's while others get none or maybe a few if they're lucky.

I would suggest before you make an argument about taxation or capitalism in general that you should - AT LEAST - understand the model.

Right now you're just blabbering emotional nonsense about income inequality..

More sniveling from the little Marxist whiner..... You own a a business and create jobs?

Hardly.

It doesn't matter because wealth is not FINITE..

It's not like our economy is a bag of M&M's and there is a FINITE amount of M&M's and a select few get the majority of the M&M's while others get none or maybe a few if they're lucky.

I would suggest before you make an argument about taxation or capitalism in general that you should - AT LEAST - understand the model.

Right now you're just blabbering emotional nonsense about income inequality..

Hmm, so taxing the poor more doesn't matter?
or
Our debt doesn't matter?
or
Neither matter?

I'm just trying to get an understanding here. Educate me please oh wise one. Since it's so obvious that I don't get it. I 'd like to understand which of the above, according to your expert opinion, "doesn't matter".

Sigh. Why are you using a strawman to attack a strawman? The actual statistic is that 47% of workers do not pay federal income taxes.

None of which are federal, just saying.

No I do not. They pay the exact same rate I do, on the amount I earn. When they go above a certain income they pay less on anything above that.

By the way, nobody anywhere gets tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas. If you are actually a businessman, something which I sincerely doubt given your complete inabilty to actually articulate how taxes work, you would know that what actually happens is that businesses get taxed for keeping jobs in the US. The ones that can afford to move their production then move it overseas to avoid the local taxes.

That actually makes two false statments in a post where you are arguing against strawmen. Most people would call that ironic, but I actually know what ironic means.

I deferred my income once to avoid taxes, and I was making far less than a million dollars. That was a few years ago, and I understand the process is more complicated now, but you can still do it if you get a large raise.

By the way, being smart and rich doesn't help. It turns out that Romney, who has teams of lawyers and accountants, actually overpaid his taxes by $44,000 last year. If the tax code is actually biased to help rich people how did he end up paying more than he needed to?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/b...taxes-than-he-owed-high-low-finance.html?_r=1

Considering how little you actually know about taxes I feel pretty safe ignoring your predictions of doom.

Ah it's you. Cowards hide behind the anonymity of the net and claim they deferred taxes etc... Real people don't have to. Google my name and I'm the first three entries. Look at my profiel and waddya know, our corporate website! Your turn. What? You can't? You're just SO important that the Rockafellers would be upset if you did?
You may now continue being full of crap. Not that that is surprising.
Oh, and you deferred NINETY PERCENT of your income? yeah okay... Oh wait. You couldn't do THAT could you? Seems the law is designed specifically to be advantageous to those who can defer an enormous percentage of their income doesn't it? NM. Kool-aid clouds the thinking.

Holy MOther of God................

Another member who is a legend in his own mind. I love the phonies in here the most............like this meathead and the fake soldier assholes.

Well Independent...........we're all real proud of ya!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_dance:

Dependent-Illogic is the biggest phony here... at least TM and deaniac don't pretend to be anything other than insane goofballs.

Forum List

Back