The 36-hour work week/3-day weekend

The main thing we have to understand, re: the OP, is that it's absolutely vital that we all agree on the optimal number of hours to work each week and then pass laws to ensure that everyone falls in line.

Everyone falls in line?

See this is another aspect, that people just don't grasp.

You will NEVER be very wealthy working a straight 40 hours.

If you want to have real money, it is going to take real time. No one makes big money, working just a mere 40-hours. NO ONE.

CEOs don't work a mere 40 hours. Are you kidding? My CEO works 7 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Friday, and sometimes on the Weekend.

I've known many CEOs. I worked at an IT Consulting place, and the CEO was there before I arrived every morning, and was there long after I left.

That Honda guy that quit and opened his own consulting firm, he's working more than he ever did at Honda. But that's why he's wealthy.

One of my co-workers I knew, got a job working for Xerox, and his base pay was $60,000. But.... they told him up front, he would be working 60-hours a week at the end of every month. 3-weeks 40, 1 week 60, every month.

When you say "absolutely vital that we all agree on the optimal number of hours to work each week and then pass laws to ensure that everyone falls in line", you are basically saying "I want to mandate everyone is poor".

I was being sarcastic; pointing out the overriding goal of the statist - lockstep conformity.

"I was being sarcastic; pointing out the overriding goal of the statist - lockstep conformity."

If you read the article I've just posted you will see that though Congress overturned the Black-Connery bill (after the Senate passed it) many employers implemented a 6 hour work day anyway.

And you're reference to "statist - lockstep conformity" resembles reactionary stereotyping. Workers could afirm their own power to negotiate the deals they want or even form their own enterprises.

"I was being sarcastic; pointing out the overriding goal of the statist - lockstep conformity."

If you read the article I've just posted you will see that though Congress overturned the Black-Connery bill (after the Senate passed it) many employers implemented a 6 hour work day anyway.

And you're reference to "statist - lockstep conformity" resembles reactionary stereotyping. Workers could afirm their own power to negotiate the deals they want or even form their own enterprises.

No, I'm referencing the impulse to push for these kinds of social changes with coercive regulation, rather than just being the change you want to see.

You don't need coercive regulation. A more democratic, participatory economy for workers would do the trick.

A lot or people already work these 3 on 4 off 4 on three off 12 hour shift schedules. Most seem to like it except there are weird rules/policies when it comes to things like sick days/personal days that make no sense to me. One of my brothers works in such a place. One time he told me he got paid more if he took a day off without using a vacation/personal day than if he took a paid day.

Forum List

Back