The 35 Undeniable Truths

nakedemperor said:
I agree that a bunch of these 'truths' are based in opinion..but as to Rush being the most listened to, you got to admit, he's very eloquent and a great radio personality, even if you don't agree with his politics. There are some very very good speakers with odd opinions. ("A tree causes more pollution than an automobile" -President Reagan.

I guess the most glaring opinion is that there is a God. It's called faith because you have to have faith. If it were based in fact it wouldn't be called a faith. And this "you think complex biological processes were somehow arranged by accident" isn't proof of anything. Complex biological processes became complex and arranged themselves dependant of one another. THe evolution of the universe wasn't like a jigsaw puzzle being put together, it was like a jigsaw puzzle in uncut form being cut up-- every pieces' size and location is necessarily dependant on the others. To extrapolate "God exists" because there are phsyics and chemistry questions we don't understand yet on account of their complexity...well...you can't. Its not a logically progression. Its just as arbitrary as saying "yes, they were arranged by accident".

And the odds of life existing is another reason people use as 'proof' that God exists. Again, if the universe is infinitely large than there is infinite opportunity for life to spring up. Its like saying your odds of winning the california lottery are unbelievably small. But there are so many people that SOMEONE's gonna get lucky.

I don't really agree with what I think underlies your position, ie., atheism, perhaps agnosticism. Nevertheless, this is a very good post! IMHO

nakedemperor said:
I agree that a bunch of these 'truths' are based in opinion..but as to Rush being the most listened to, you got to admit, he's very eloquent and a great radio personality, even if you don't agree with his politics. There are some very very good speakers with odd opinions. ("A tree causes more pollution than an automobile" -President Reagan.

I guess the most glaring opinion is that there is a God. It's called faith because you have to have faith. If it were based in fact it wouldn't be called a faith. And this "you think complex biological processes were somehow arranged by accident" isn't proof of anything. Complex biological processes became complex and arranged themselves dependant of one another. THe evolution of the universe wasn't like a jigsaw puzzle being put together, it was like a jigsaw puzzle in uncut form being cut up-- every pieces' size and location is necessarily dependant on the others. To extrapolate "God exists" because there are phsyics and chemistry questions we don't understand yet on account of their complexity...well...you can't. Its not a logically progression. Its just as arbitrary as saying "yes, they were arranged by accident".

And the odds of life existing is another reason people use as 'proof' that God exists. Again, if the universe is infinitely large than there is infinite opportunity for life to spring up. Its like saying your odds of winning the california lottery are unbelievably small. But there are so many people that SOMEONE's gonna get lucky.

Fact is different from truth. Truth is the object of philosophy, while fact is the object of science. There'd be a problem if it was called '35 undeniable facts.'

Hobbit said:
Fact is different from truth. Truth is the object of philosophy, while fact is the object of science. There'd be a problem if it was called '35 undeniable facts.'

The way I understand truth is that if something is true it conforms to fact or actuality. Therefore the inability to factually prove the existance of God could undermine the truth of the statement "There is a God." I think it stands to reason that each other the 35 "truths" could also be called "factual". Therefore (sorry for doubling back on myself) to disprove the factuality of one of the "Truths" is to descredit its "truthfulness".

To make my point clearer, I think the two statements "It is a fact that God exists" and "'There is a God' is a true statement" are synonymous.

Kathianne said:
I don't really agree with what I think underlies your position, ie., atheism, perhaps agnosticism. Nevertheless, this is a very good post! IMHO

Thanks Kathianne. I'm Allan Colmes for the day! Where's my scooby snack!? :mm:

nakedemperor said:
The way I understand truth is that if something is true it conforms to fact or actuality. Therefore the inability to factually prove the existance of God could undermine the truth of the statement "There is a God." I think it stands to reason that each other the 35 "truths" could also be called "factual". Therefore (sorry for doubling back on myself) to disprove the factuality of one of the "Truths" is to descredit its "truthfulness".

To make my point clearer, I think the two statements "It is a fact that God exists" and "'There is a God' is a true statement" are synonymous.

Still, truth is thought to be in the mind of the beholder, while fact is backed up by imperical evidence. That's why, when people are asked to tell the truth, they are not held responsible if their information is not factual, provided that they believed it was at the time. Anyway, there's better things to do than argue semantics. Why do I keep wasting time on it? Because my mom's a frickin English teacher, that's why. I...can't...help...it.

Anyway, although similar, truth and fact have different meanings, and I think Rush's use of the word 'truth' was appropriate.

Hobbit said:
Still, truth is thought to be in the mind of the beholder, while fact is backed up by imperical evidence. That's why, when people are asked to tell the truth, they are not held responsible if their information is not factual, provided that they believed it was at the time. Anyway, there's better things to do than argue semantics. Why do I keep wasting time on it? Because my mom's a frickin English teacher, that's why. I...can't...help...it.

Anyway, although similar, truth and fact have different meanings, and I think Rush's use of the word 'truth' was appropriate.

Your definitions are a credit to your mom-- she done good =)

I agree that if you believe something, it is true [for you]. The bracketed part meaning, like you said, truth is in the mind of the beholder. However, in Rush Limbaugh's case, I highly doubt he was putting these truths up as "truths for him". Obviously we can't get Rush to comment, but I think the message was supposed to be that the 35 propositions were factual. This seems implicit in the "undeniable" part of the title. If he actually meant "35 truths for me" then calling them "undeniable" is redundant and unnecessary.

Does that make sense? I'm sorry I just got my wisdom teeth out and I'm on drugs.

Also, why is there a little red dot next to my name? I want a cool, soothing, green dot! Is that like a liberal board member flag? Or is there a way to "rate" people or something?

Truth is things as they are, as they were, and as they will be. Truth is truth regardless of whether you believe it or can prove it.

The most beautiful thing about a tree is what you do with it after you cut it down.

Disagree. Especially considering the fact that anything you can make with a tree you can make with industrial hemp or any number of other less expensive, more versatile, and more resilient materials.

Besides, I like trees.

The most beautiful thing about a tree is what you do with it after you cut it down.

I have to disagree with this one as well. A weeping willow in summer or an evergreen tree in a snow covered field will never be outbeautied by anything you can make with it after you cut it down.

DKSuddeth said:
I have to disagree with this one as well. A weeping willow in summer or an evergreen tree in a snow covered field will never be outbeautied by anything you can make with it after you cut it down.

I would have to agree. During the upcoming Choosuk (Korean harvest moon festival) holiday, my wife and I are going to make our annual camping trip to Great Basin National Park. The Aspens are just beautiful this time of year!

freeandfun1 said:
I am sure this has been posted before, but I would be it has been a while.....

Rush: The 35 Undeniable Truths
As read by Rush Limbaugh on his radio show, Friday, February 18, 1994:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
(All equally truthful: number 1 is not more or less important than 35.)

1) America is a land of immigrants. All with their own distinct culture.
rugged individualism and self-reliance
All brought to America from other places.

2) Not really bogus, but not quite right either http://www.raken.com/american_wealth/

3)True, but there will always be a need for social programs, and gov't sponsered growth, even in a capitalist state.

4) Where is the evidence?

5) I voted for the NDP New Democratic Party, and around the world, many other people are as well.

6) To assume it isn't fragile is wrong. Earths climate is changing, the signs are all around us http://www.pewclimate.org/global-warming-basics/facts_and_figures/

7) It matters, if it is not all talk.

8) The most beatiful thing about a tree is what it does for us when it is still alive, most importantly, provides us with oxygen.

9)Very debateable, but hey, i'm a canadian.

10) And vainity, materialism, waste.

11) To bad it is rarley used. Teens will always have sex, no matter what you say, might as well teach them the safe ways in order to do so.

12) What? Condoms work 99% of the time, you just need to beable to use them correctly.

13) It is not the main cause. How much did Enron execs steal from share holders?

14) Sounds easy enough. America has the highest amount of its population in jail in the world. Keep reaching for that rainbow.
http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/usa/incarceration/

15) Yes you are.

16) When was the last time any of you guys did something for a girl based on her looks. Don't lie now. Men are controlled by our penises. Girls jury girls, and men, men.

17) Remove spiritual and rush, and or on your way.

18) Please re-read his list.

19) No.

20) Sure, but whose.

21) Depends on how this religon is used.

22) Then how?

23) Then what do they 'pretend' to be?

24) It was established to help free them from domestic oppression.

25) Yep.

26) Ya, okay, and neo-cons just lie and steal their ways in.

27) Social programs are needed, wait till you get in to some bad luck.

28) Growth on the backs of the poor, is not growth but oppression.

29) When you close down soup kitchens, and free clinics, it is surprising how fewer people use them. To bad the demand is always there.

30) Neither is vengence.

31) Culture war? We all know that America has no culture, oops, i fogot McDonalds.

32) And if there was an aduquate justice system, maybe they could have been avoided.

33) Ok.

34) If followed by action.

35) Especially conservatives.

Well, there you go.

Forum List

Back