The 2nd amendment

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Eagle need both, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Eagle need both

Eagle need both Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I never thought I would have believed it, but the 2nd amendment needs revamping.

America has, by far, the worst gun homicide problem in the modern, western world (Yes, I've seen Bowling for Columbine, but that's not what the point of this is). Something really should be done about it if we are honestly intent on making the country a better place.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed."

The framers put this in for 2 reasons originally --
    1.) The local militias were a major component to American victory during the Revolution

2.) To give the citizens a warm fuzzy that they would be able to protect themselves from an aggressive, militaristic government should one ever make it to power.

Given America's position as the strongest military nation on earth, I don't think we're relying on Bob and Jane to defend main street from the invading forces. Also, I think America is secure enough in its history now to prevent #2 occuring.

So, what's the point of keeping the right to bear arms in such paramount importance? What's the argument of people so staunchly opposed to gun control measures, and eventually abolishment of privately owned firearms? Everyone should be able to easily kill? I know the big problem is not Bob and Jane, but the criminals. We've got to get the guns away from them first.

Living in England for two years gave me the feeling that it's REALLY nice to walk around in cities without worrying about guns, let alone assault weapons. The police there aren't even armed, and don't need to be. It CAN be done, and I really wonder about people who don't want to strive for this kind of society.

2. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats because in England you have far less blacks and hispanics then we do:

According to an NAACP press release, African-American males between the ages of 15 and 24 are almost five times more likely to be injured by firearms than are white males in the same age group. "Firearm homicide has been the leading cause of death among young African-American males for nearly 30 years," it stated.

http://www.salon.com/news/col/horo/1999/08/16/naacp/print.html

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    ...You're dismissed.

4. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The right to protect my family, if I so choose to do it in this manner. It is very nice that you live in your fairyland called London, but here in the reality of NY, crimminals do own guns and do rob and shoot people in their own homes. Sorry I don't want to rely on 9-11 and their response times to assure the safety of my family. Any adult proven responsible, should be allowed to own a registered firearm.

Take the guns away from Bob and Jane, and only the criminals will own guns. Hey, Heroin and Cocain are illegal, yet so easy to obtain, same for illegal guns.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, period !!!!

5. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    What's so important is that the right to defend one's self is the most fundamental right on earth. That's the entire reason for the American Revolution.

The mere fact that stupid people use guns for stupid reasons, like killing someone for a pair of shoes, is not enough reason for me to give up my basic right to life and protecting that life. The fact is that in order to get rid of violence and gun deaths, you have to make them consequential. They are not. Now, we let criminals live in perfect luxury...they are fed, clothed, educated, their families are taken care of...why the hell wouldn't they disobey the law?

The only answer is that criminals be forced to suffer real and immediate consequences. Not disarming perfectly law abiding citizens.

Move back to England if you don't want to think about it. That's a perfectly acceptable solution for you. For me, it's having as many guns as I can afford and not engaging in criminal activity.

6. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dont worry about the dog, Worry about the Owner!
    compliments of Smith & Wesson....

7. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    ...That folks fail to assume the responsibility that the freedom to keep and bear arms entails. When you carry a weapon capable of taking a human life, the responsibility is great indeed, and so should the penalties for the abdication of that responsibility be equally great.

But we don't teach our children about responsibility and consequences either at home or in school. At home, they are plopped down in front of the tv of game console. At school they are taught to memorize-regurgitate-forget. They are not taught to reason effectively...They are not taught that their actions have consequences. Is it any wonder, then, that we are raising a generation of amoral little sociopaths?

When people understand that their actions bear consequences, sometimes lethal, we will see a reduction not just in gun violence, but violence in general. But I hold no hope of such a paradigm shift occuring anytime in the near future. In the meantime, don't take these weapons away from those who are capable of assuming the responsibility they entail. For those who can't, or won't, assume the responsibility are the ones who must pay the price for their lack of responsibility.

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Also eagle need both, many fair minded upstanding citizens who in a normal context would keep some arms to defend themselves and their community, have been browbeaten by liberals into laying down their arms. Consequently, the guns are in the hands of criminals and "right wing wackos", according to mainstream thought. And the libs are more interested in getting them out of the hands of the right wing wackos, WHO OBTAIN THEM LEGALLY. They don't care to enforce the laws which keep them out of the hands of criminals.

I think all citizens should be required by law to carry stopping power. Do you know how little crime we would have? It'd be a paradise on earth.

9. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    I take full credit for Bully's dramatic conversion to our side, whether I deserve it or not!:p:

10. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Nah, you don't. I've been hunting since I was big enough to keep both ends of a gun off the ground. I know how to use long and short guns. I treat them with the respect they demand.

After all, an armed society is a polite society and one can get further with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone.