The 2nd Amendment doesn't prohibit regulation...

"Militia" has nothing to do with the individual right to keep and bear arms. Militia means armed group of civilians. As the Supreme Court noted there is no requirement to be in a militia (well regulated or otherwise) to have the individual right to keep and bear arms. It simply noted that all regulations do not constitute "infringement" and may therefore be allowed.

Well there is an individual right to bear arms for defense as implied by the 4th and 5th amendments.
The 2nd amendment does not actually say it is an individual right, just that the feds should have absolutely no jurisdiction at all over weapons.
The only reason to bring up the state militias is that some people try to claim the 2nd amendment only refers to militias, and it would not matter because all states include the general population automatically as being part of the militia anyway.

The Supreme Court did in fact rule that it is an individual right. From the OP:

"...is not required by the individual for that individual to secure a personal right to keep and bear arms."

Actually that is the most important part of the Heller decision. Also State Constitutions may confer an individual right.

No argument from me. I think it is an individual right as well. And I agree Heller confirms it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back