The 27 cities with the best quality of life in the world

4627-1481082941-4944c1252432a3e8f07e039f7c73e047.jpg

That's the big problem with these "polls" it blows off urban beauty.

Error | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

(Just a couple of the sites in the Municipality of Anchorage, Alaska - I keep thinking I'll get back to updating this album; going from Anchorage north to Fairbanks, then south to Seward. Some day...)

LOL Yes, well, when the flora and fauna do laundry, deliver groceries, open restaurants, service cars put on performing arts events, build roads, rail stations and airports, heal what ails one, run schools and universities, provide banking services, and more, perhaps Anchorage will move up in the rankings. LOL

We have all of that except grocery delivery. (Unless you count personal assistants? We have a lot of them who do all the shopping for the wealthy retiree's)

(Just a couple of the sites in the Municipality of Anchorage, Alaska - I keep thinking I'll get back to updating this album; going from Anchorage north to Fairbanks, then south to Seward. Some day...)

LOL Yes, well, when the flora and fauna do laundry, deliver groceries, open restaurants, service cars put on performing arts events, build roads, rail stations and airports, heal what ails one, run schools and universities, provide banking services, and more, perhaps Anchorage will move up in the rankings. LOL

We have all of that except grocery delivery. (Unless you count personal assistants? We have a lot of them who do all the shopping for the wealthy retiree's)
How many wealthy folks retire to Anchorage?

The problem with such rankings, is that most of them are extremely subjective.

Nothing irritates me more, than a massive city. I hate massive cities.

Most people like them.... (I think....).... but I hate them. I hate massive crowds where I can't hardly walk anywhere. I hate non-stop noise that never ends. I hate flickering lights flashing in my face until the end of time.

I'll take old Hilliard, over any of those places.

View attachment 149118
One of the metrics was the sub-way system. I'll take this over any sub-way system.

Sports? Massive stadiums, where the cost of a ticket is a weeks wage, only to end up with a worse view of the action, than you could get with your remote at home? And pay 1/4th the cost for all the drinks you could possibly want?

The only measurement that actually mattered to me, was the crime. Crime is a big deal. It doesn't matter what any city offers, if you lose your stuff to thieves, and end up mugged on the way home.

And I love how Singapore was on there, given the way they handle crime is with a noose. You want to hang criminals, in order to catch up to Singapore, I'm all for it.

The article said cities , not towns.

There's no denying that Anchorage has its appeal. That it doesn't isn't why it or any other U.S. city didn't make it into the top 25 on the list.

I read the OP's source article. It lists the major criteria Mercer used. Among them one finds this: "Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)." I did, and having my extreme aversion to earthquakes and their attendant surprise-factor and risks, what comes to mind about Anchorage is this:

Earthquake Track notes that Anchorage has had:
  • 2 earthquakes in the past 24 hours
  • 9 earthquakes in the past 7 days
  • 60 earthquakes in the past 30 days
  • 846 earthquakes in the past 365 days
Alaska_earthquakes.jpg

Even when Anchorage itself isn't at or near the epicenter of a quake, it's right there on the edge of the water just waiting for a tidal wave from any of the local quakes or those arriving from quakes elsewhere on the "ring of fire."

Now for me, and I'm not with Mercer Consulting, that earth-moving-under-my-feet thing is alone enough to erode any peace of mind I might, as a resident of the place, care to have, thereby making any city exposed to as much quake risk as Anchorage to be in the bottom "whatever" of a list of the cities having the best quality of life. That along with, AFAIK, Anchorage lacking the other "world class" (or near it) amenities I demand in a city in which I'd live, there's no way I'd put Anchorage in the top 100 cities, ranked on "quality of life."

Now does that mean there's not a lot of "goodness" going on in Anchorage? No, not at all. It just means there's a lot more "goodness" going on in other cities.

OT:
The thing that gets me about Alaska is, of course, just how unimaginably huge that state is.
Well most of them don't "retire to here" they make their money here /then/ retire. It has been said that once you come to Alaska for a while you eschew the lower 48.

List of Alaska locations by per capita income - Wikipedia

Robert Gillam Net Worth
These two real estate developers are the richest people in Alaska

And there's "these" people *cough*
Wealthy avoid taxes by moving assets to no-tax states including Alaska

The notion of having property in AK and declaring it as one tax home is completely different from actually living there. There's no small number of folks who have tax homes in places where one isn't likely to find home should one show up for a random visit.

That was before frau Merkel imported a million Muslims. Watch what happens now.
It must gall you that Merkel is the leader of the free world, having replaced the POTUS.
yea she is the leader....lets see her lead then......lets see her deal with N.Korea and Isis and other world problems.....and ask your new leader WHY does she still have American Military bases in her Country.....

I wouldn't live in Europe or Australia, if you paid me a million $$. Within some relatively short period of time, they will all be Muslim hell-holes, and in fact, many of them already are (partially).

Hmm - let's look at those categories they rate by. Nope. Don't see Islamization there. :rolleyes:

Didn't Gwenth Paltrow move to Europe,....but then came back to the US to give birth, because she didn't trust the European medical system ?

One question:

What are Progressive Mayors in cities like Chicago, Houston and L.A. doing to improve their city ranking?

One question:

What are Progressive Mayors in cities like Chicago, Houston and L.A. doing to improve their city ranking?
Bringing in more illegal aliens.

It is strange the OP'er and those like him or her have yet to answer.

It make me wonder does the OP'er believe the data that was collected for the ranking of those cities was done only after Trump became President?

If so then the OP'er should realize the fact is American Cities have never been great except maybe New York.

Cities like Chicago have been worthless for decades and crime goes up and down and it has been under Democratic leadership since I slithered out from the rock I am from, so why hasn't those like the OP'er try to fix this problem by electing leadership in the local and state governments that would help fix the inner cities that the world hate?

I know the OP'er want to blame Trump for the ranking but I know better...

New Topics

Forum List

Back