The 2020 Election: Is Common Sense Making a Comeback?

Who gets your vote in 2020?

• Any Democrat candidate who wins the nomination

• A Democrat if he/she is a common sense candidate

• President Trump the Republican

• President Trump who has earned a second term

• President Trump the common sense candidate

• Any Republican who wins the nomination

• Any Republican who is a common sense candidate

• Somebody else

• I won't vote

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you think tRump is the "common sense candidate" you might need to look up the definition of "common sense".
Yep, billionaires always lack common sense don’t they?
Trump's the exception that proves the rule. He made it on family money, political connections and borrowing other people's money and letting them take the hit in bankruptcy.

“Family money”?
How much family money was he gifted?
Operating on other people’s money, limiting risk and potential exposure is fundamental for all wealthy folks.
You didn’t know that?

I just happen to know that, it was $100 million. He's turned it into billions. Some ventures have failed, the majority have succeeded. He failed here.
It was closer to half a billion and since he hides his taxes we have no real idea of his net worth. Personally I think that's why he's hiding them. Not because they provide evidence of misdeeds, but because they would reveil he's not a billionaire at all.

According to this Trump is worth about 5.4 billion. Much of it is real estate.
Donald Trump Net Worth: Richest President Ever - Money Nation

So far the poll is 61-20 Trump's favor.

As this is a conservative shill board, what do you expect?

And the Russian trolls haven't even shown up yet. They won't be here until the general election season starts. And, being that this is a conservative shill board, their right-wing-spin posts will be placed front and center as examples of what the average American is thinking (see "Mrs. M").

So far the poll is 61-20 Trump's favor.

As this is a conservative shill board, what do you expect?

And the Russian trolls haven't even shown up yet. They won't be here until the general election season starts. And, being that this is a conservative shill board, their right-wing-spin posts will be placed front and center as examples of what the average American is thinking (see "Mrs. M").

Yep, Crepitus and rDerp and rightwinger and Bodey are conservative shills. :rolleyes:

Not that there aren't some here, that "Green and Blue" is a Russian conservative shill.

This board is fair to all, unlike other boards that claim to be, yet are run by leftists that abuse their position to push the leftist narrative; Which is all of them AFAIK except for one other board on teh interwebz. That's why USMB is one of the best and most heavily trafficked, it appeals to both sides and the center.

If you think tRump is the "common sense candidate" you might need to look up the definition of "common sense".
Trump's the exception that proves the rule. He made it on family money, political connections and borrowing other people's money and letting them take the hit in bankruptcy.

“Family money”?
Operating on other people’s money, limiting risk and potential exposure is fundamental for all wealthy folks.
You didn’t know that?

I just happen to know that, it was $100 million. He's turned it into billions. Some ventures have failed, the majority have succeeded. He failed here.

Unlikely as President Trump's father, at the time of his death, is estimated to have been worth in the neighborhood of $200 million that was spread among his five children of whom Donald J. Trump was just one, AND among the grandchildren. The most President Trump probably inherited was $40 million and that is debatable and impossible to verify.

At any rate, yes, like many children of successful people, President Trump did inherit a very nice sum of money. But he has expanded that into considerably more. And again, though there is no way to know for sure, most estimates are that he is worth considerably less since he was inaugurated President though his net worth is still in the multi billions.
https://www.politifact.com/florida/article/2016/mar/07/did-donald-trump-inherit-100-million/

The fact that he is independently wealthy and has little or no motivation to be in politics in order to increase his prestige, influence, or personal wealth as is the case with many/most professional politicians, gives me more confidence that he honestly does want to add doing good things for America to his resume.

“Family money”?
You didn’t know that?

Unlikely as President Trump's father, at the time of his death, is estimated to have been worth in the neighborhood of $200 million that was spread among his five children of whom Donald J. Trump was just one, AND among the grandchildren. The most President Trump probably inherited was $40 million and that is debatable and impossible to verify.

At any rate, yes, like many children of successful people, President Trump did inherit a very nice sum of money. But he has expanded that into considerably more. And again, though there is no way to know for sure, most estimates are that he is worth considerably less since he was inaugurated President though his net worth is still in the multi billions.
Did Donald Trump inherit $100 million?

The fact that he is independently wealthy and has little or no motivation to be in politics in order to increase his prestige, influence, or personal wealth as is the case with many/most professional politicians, gives me more confidence that he honestly does want to add doing good things for America to his resume.
The fact that he is independently wealthy and has little or no motivation to be in politics in order to increase his prestige, influence, or personal wealth

^ This is not really the case IMHO. Trump acquired enough money long ago to reach the pinnacle of the prestige that gives him. It is nothing compared to being president though. Being president increases both his influence and prestige 1000 times over.

“Family money”?
You didn’t know that?

Thank you for digging a little deeper. It's always good to get as much truth as possible. :)

“Family money”?
You didn’t know that?

The fact that he is independently wealthy and has little or no motivation to be in politics in order to increase his prestige, influence, or personal wealth

^ This is not really the case IMHO. Trump acquired enough money long ago to reach the pinnacle of the prestige that gives him. It is nothing compared to being president though. Being president increases both his influence and prestige 1000 times over.

Perhaps. Certainly the Clintons and Obamas have used that office to make themselves mega multi-millionaires. Possibly George W. Bush also but he was very well off financially when he ran for office and probably was less motivated by money. But I do believe money, power, prestige was the Clinton and Obama motivation when they ran for office.

Trump on the other hand, though he may indeed increase his influence and prestige via having been President, already was somebody everybody knew who he was when he ran for office. His opinion was already sought out and he was welcomed pretty much everywhere among the rich and famous prior to announcing his candidacy. And he was so rich that he could not possibly spend all his wealth in what remained of his lifetime and he still would leave vast fortunes to his five children and their progeny.

I do not believe fame, prestige, influence, personal wealth was his motivation to run for President.

Last edited:

“Family money”?
You didn’t know that?

Perhaps. Certainly the Clintons and Obamas have used that office to make themselves mega multi-millionaires. Possibly George W. Bush also but he was very well off financially when he ran for office and probably was less motivated by money. But I do believe money, power, prestige was the Clinton and Obama motivation when they ran for office.

Trump on the other hand, though he may indeed increase his influence and prestige via having been President, already was somebody everybody knew who he was when he ran for office. His opinion was already sought out and he was welcomed pretty much everywhere among the rich and famous prior to announcing his candidacy. And he was so rich that he could not possibly spend all his wealth in what remained of his lifetime and he still would leave vast fortunes to his five children and their progeny.

I do not believe fame, prestige, influence, personal wealth was his motivation to run for President.
Based on his rather extreme vanity, I would say that it is clearly and well evidenced that he did run for the image and prestige. Talking about his financial situation is all fine and good but it disregards all the evidence of the type of man Trump is to say he did not run for the prestige.

“Family money”?
You didn’t know that?

Based on his rather extreme vanity, I would say that it is clearly and well evidenced that he did run for the image and prestige. Talking about his financial situation is all fine and good but it disregards all the evidence of the type of man Trump is to say he did not run for the prestige.

The type of man Trump is?

Consider all the stuff Obama said when he was running for President. Stuff he immediately put on the shelf once he was safely in office. Consider when he went before cameras again and again and again and again looking straight at us promising that if we like our health plan, we can keep our health plan. if we like our doctor we can keep our doctor. All lies. Cruel, dishonest, hateful lies to many of us. And time and again stroking the ego of other countries by applauding them while denigrating his own country. What sort of a person does that?

Now take President Trump: tude, crude, politically incorrect, insulting sometimes, tweeting things now and then that many of us find cringeworthy, imperfect. flawed, with a previous personal life easy to criticize (as is the case with probably most presidential candidates.)

In spite of all that he presented a vision of an America that many of us Americans could embrace A proud, strong, capable, prosperous, benevolent America that provides liberty, options, choices, opportunity for all demographics. An America that seeks to promote personal responsibility and accountability, respect for our laws, our best traditions and values, and ability to express them with impunity. And offering clear, understandable, real honest to goodness goals and objectives to accomplish that vision, concepts many of which we were hungry to hear somebody in leadership express.

He has not disappointed. He has kept or done his best to keep campaign promises as no other President in my lifetime has done and has done that in the face of the most self righteously judgmental, malicious, mean spirited, hateful, destructive, dangerous organized opposition I have witnessed in my lifetime. And he has given us no reason whatsoever to believe he won't keep right on doing that.

Maybe he just wants to see if he can do it, a personal challenge as it were. Maybe he just wants it on his resume to add to his personal legacy. Maybe it is out of spite in the face of vicious, unfair opposition. Maybe he wants to do it for personal advantage (though as I said the evidence doesn't point to that.) And maybe he loves his country and fellow Americans and has figured it is time and obligation do what he can to make things better.

Whatever his motive I don't give a rat's ass. He is producing for the good of Americans and America like no other has ever done. He has earned and he deserves my vote in 2020. I think he has earned and deserves the vote of every person who loves and believes in America and his/her fellow Americans.

Last edited:

Consider all the stuff Obama said when he was running for President. Stuff he immediately put on the shelf once he was safely in office. Consider when he went before cameras again and again and again and again looking straight at us promising that if we like our health plan, we can keep our health plan. if we like our doctor we can keep our doctor. All lies. Cruel, dishonest, hateful lies to many of us. And time and again stroking the ego of other countries by applauding them while denigrating his own country. What sort of a person does that?

Now take Trump. Rude, crude, politically incorrect, insulting sometimes, tweeting things now and then that many of us find cringeworthy, imperfect. flawed, with a personal life easy to criticize.

In spite of all that he presented a vision of an America that many of us Americans could embrace A proud, strong, capable, prosperous, benevolent America that provides liberty, options, choices, opportunity for all demographics. An America that seeks to promote personal responsibility and accountability, respect for our laws, our best traditions and values, and ability to express them with impunity. And offering clear, understandable, real honest to goodness goals and objectives to accomplish that vision, concepts many of which we were hungry to hear somebody in leadership express.

He has not disappointed. He has kept or done his best to keep campaign promises as no other President in my lifetime has done and has done that in the face of the most self righteously judgmental, malicious, mean spirited, hateful, destructive, dangerous organized opposition I have witnessed in my lifetime. And he has given us no reason whatsoever to believe he won't keep right on doing that.

Maybe he just wants to see if he can do it, a personal challenge as it were. Maybe he just wants it on his resume to add to his personal legacy. Maybe it is out of spite in the face of vicious, unfair opposition. Maybe he wants to do it for personal advantage (though as I said the evidence doesn't point to that.)

Whatever his motive I don't give a rat's ass. He is producing for the good of Americans and America like no other has ever done. He has earned and he deserves my vote in 2020. I think he has earned and deserves the vote of every person who loves and believes in America and his/her fellow Americans.
Never said anything about any of that. My point was rather specific - Trump is in this for the glory. That does not mean he cant be a good president, I think that almost anyone taking the office will be a crap person. Bringing up Obama just supports that. That is what it takes to not only want a position like that but to actually attain it.

His motivation is beside the point really, IMHO. I only care about what he's doing policy-wise, is it in the country's best interest or not? And isn't that really what's most important, who is going to make the most Americans better off than they were when he/she took office. And I don't care whether he's well-liked or not, he ain't going to marry my daughter. So, I voted for Trump in 2016 cuz I thought we'd be better off as a collective whole with him as president than Hillary Clinton. And quite frankly, after looking at the people running this year on the Dem side, I''m gonna vote for him again next year.

Now take Trump. Rude, crude, politically incorrect, insulting sometimes, tweeting things now and then that many of us find cringeworthy, imperfect. flawed, with a personal life easy to criticize.

Maybe he just wants to see if he can do it, a personal challenge as it were. Maybe he just wants it on his resume to add to his personal legacy. Maybe it is out of spite in the face of vicious, unfair opposition. Maybe he wants to do it for personal advantage (though as I said the evidence doesn't point to that.)

Never said anything about any of that. My point was rather specific - Trump is in this for the glory. That does not mean he cant be a good president, I think that almost anyone taking the office will be a crap person. Bringing up Obama just supports that. That is what it takes to not only want a position like that but to actually attain it.

So we have a choice do we not? Judge a person by personal traits we demand and specify and reject that person if he/she does not conform to our demands? Who among us would qualify for anything using that criteria?

Or should we judge a person on what he or she does? The president's unorthodox personality and style definitely embarrasses me sometimes, sometimes infuriates me, but it has no direct personal affect on me or my friends, family, community, or the country as a whole.

But he is delivering on doing good for America and Americans as he promised to do. Unlike most of his predecessors who talked a good game but who mostly didn't deliver on their campaign promises or perhaps made an effort and then gave up.

I choose to judge President Trump on not only doing what he said he would do, but being pretty darn competent and effective in getting it done. And if I have to put up with a few misspeaks or cringeworthy tweets and all the pure shit the left throws at him, so be it. A small price to pay to actually see problems getting fixed, good things happening, lives improving in all American demographics.

I don't care if he is doing it for the glory or whatever other motive he might have. He's getting it done. He is only 2-1/2 years into his first term and he has already earned a second one.

Repeating the last two paragraphs of my post:

. . .Maybe he just wants to see if he can do it, a personal challenge as it were. Maybe he just wants it on his resume to add to his personal legacy. Maybe it is out of spite in the face of vicious, unfair opposition. Maybe he wants to do it for personal advantage (though as I said the evidence doesn't point to that.) And maybe he loves his country and fellow Americans and has figured it is time and obligation do what he can to make things better.

Whatever his motive I don't give a rat's ass. He is producing for the good of Americans and America like no other has ever done. He has earned and he deserves my vote in 2020. I think he has earned and deserves the vote of every person who loves and believes in America and his/her fellow Americans.​

His motivation is beside the point really, IMHO. I only care about what he's doing policy-wise, is it in the country's best interest or not? And isn't that really what's most important, who is going to make the most Americans better off than they were when he/she took office. And I don't care whether he's well-liked or not, he ain't going to marry my daughter. So, I voted for Trump in 2016 cuz I thought we'd be better off as a collective whole with him as president than Hillary Clinton. And quite frankly, after looking at the people running this year on the Dem side, I''m gonna vote for him again next year.

As will I. I didn't vote for him because he was prim, proper, polished, well spoken, etc. etc. etc. And I certainly didn't vote for him as a personal role model. But like you said, he isn't going to marry my daughter.

He has delivered on what he said he would do as President and even on those things still in the works or still left to be done, he has not backed down or given in despite the hateful, cruel, malicious opposition thrown at him 24/7.

We have had our filled of the poll tested, scripted, polished and groomed professional politicians of the permanent political class who are in it to increase their own power, prestige, influence, and personal wealth. They put their high minded sounding campaign promises mostly on the shelf once in office and just throw enough bones to their constituencies to keep them compliant.

I would rather have all Donald Trumps in government--people who don't stand on status quo, or 'it has always been done that way', or who are poll tested, scripted, polished, and groomed to look and sound good--who are committed to actually addressing and solving real problems and getting things done.

We might not admire them personally even if we do admire their skill and ability to accomplish things. But they would by far be the best deal for America and Americans.

The difference of course is that the media will throw softball questions at democrats and won't make an issue out of flubs.

Robert Curry raised an interesting question in this short essay this week.
https://amgreatness.com/2019/07/03/is-common-sense-making-a-comeback/

He observed the glaring lack of common sense in the Democrat debates with Julian Castro advocating abortion rights for transgender women taking the top prize for the proposal demonstrating the least common sense. But as he sadly but accurately pointed out, whoever wins the Democrat nomination is unlikely to do so by promoting a common sense agenda, goals, objectives etc. (Personal note: common sense Democrats are being booed off stages almost everywhere.)

That is a sad commentary on our current political environment though probably many Democrats will not agree with it. But for conservatives, Curry is just stating the obvious and preaching to the choir.

The more interesting point he raised is that President Trump was/is clearly the common sense candidate. I concur with that. He isn't partisan. He is no ideologue. He can't be described as a conservative, libertarian, or right winger. But his vision, his goals, his objectives are all solidly rooted in common sense. What the problem actually is. What needs to happen to solve it.

But the question is, did America elect him mostly because he offered common sense that we were hungry for? Or did people vote mostly against what they saw as blatant obviousness of Clinton dishonesty and corruption mixed with lack of vision and promoting an unacceptable status quo?

If the vote was more against Hillary than for Trump, what will that bode for the 2020 election? Is there sufficient appreciation for what the President has accomplished to earn him sufficient votes to win next year? Or has America lost it to the point that they will vote for irrationality instead of common sense?

So where are you at this point?

Will you vote for President Trump because he is the Republican? Or because he is the common sense candidate? Or will you vote against him because he is Donald J. Trump? Or will you vote against him because he is on the Republican ticket? Or will you vote for any Democrat to prevent a Republican win? Or will you vote for somebody else for reasons not enumerated here?

Please explain your vote.

(Multiple choice on the poll and you can change your vote if you change your mind.)

Common sense is logic

The higher the common sense ability ( logic ability ) the better

Democrats are supported by the lowest logic ability ( common sense) people which always falls into destruction

To save the nation trump must bring a high logic ability test for voters

“Family money”?
You didn’t know that?

It was closer to half a billion and since he hides his taxes we have no real idea of his net worth. Personally I think that's why he's hiding them. Not because they provide evidence of misdeeds, but because they would reveil he's not a billionaire at all.

I don't recall ever filing a tax return that revealed my/our net worth in any way. And I have been doing our taxes, including our business taxes, for many years.

I don't imagine President Trump's tax returns give any clue about his net worth either.

New Topics

Forum List

Back