The 17 Happiest Smells That Ever Happened

This one may be 'unusual.' It is the smell of diesel fumes. Yep. The first time I spent time in Europe, a lot of cars were diesel and the air in big cities smelled of diesel. I so loved traveling, I developed my career so I could live in Europe and/or travel throughout Europe, and have been doing so for 10+ years now. Whenever I smell diesel fumes, I think of my travels and am happy. I even bought a diesel engine car when I lived in the States!

Another one is the smell of roses. When I was a kid, my parents always spent Memorial Day going to the cemeteries and mausoleums of departed family members. My mother had a small rose garden at home, and always took a lot of roses to put in the mausoleum vases or at the graves. Those days were actually nice for me. The weather was nice and I played in the graveyards with my siblings while my parents tidied the graves. The mausoleums were interesting, awe inspiring places for me. And always accompanying that was the smell of roses. So roses always remind me of those days, which were, oddly, happy days. Quiet, pleasant days with my parents and siblings.

Not unusual at all. There are certain smells that bring me back to Australia and others that take me to other places where I had lived at one point of another. It is a nice few moments to think about times gone by and an excitement at my next trip or place to live.

I'd add an alfalfa field in bloom.

Laying on the ground in the bright spring sun, chewing on a sprig. Then, getting on the tractor to mow it - saving the smell of fresh-mown hay.

Forum List

Back