The $15 Minimum Wage Is Turning Hard Workers Into Black Market Lawbreakers

Walmart is known for mediocre wages and no benefits. Since you are smarter than them, perhaps you should think on your own and read the signs, perhaps you should check yourself out.
`
Typical walmart - Where are your flashlights? a) I dunno, b) points in a general direction, c) I think it's in isle 24, d) ask someone in hardware (no one there).
To be fair to Walmart employees...they are paid squat. And you get what you pay for. Only an idiot would work his tail off for sub-$10/hour in America. I certainly wouldn't.
I would be polite and do my job reasonably well. But go above and beyond my duties for a boring job at MW in 2018? Forget it.
Also, when I go to Walmart, I find the workers are usually fine...they give me exactly what I would expect for their pay level.

Last edited:
[Because the people whining for a 15 an hour MW have been bagging burgers for years without trying to get another job
people who get paid the federal minimum wage total a whopping 3% of the population
and that 3% includes tipped workers who might actually make significantly more than MW

Many states already have MW that exceeds the federal MW
What you want is increase in labor costs with no corresponding increase in production so you will have a cost increase multiplier happening across all sectors of the economy.
all because a few people don't want to improve their value to the marketplace.
Skull Pilot, the essence of personal and political opposition to the FMW rate:

The federal minimum wage, (FMW) rate is of net social and economic benefit to our nation. It has never been among the major causes of the U.S. dollar’s inflation; on the contrary, it’s certainly among inflations’ victims.
No employees are poorer and no enterprises suffer any competitive disadvantage to any USA enterprises due to the FMW rate.

[there’s no doubt that USA’s higher wage rates are a cause of our products’ price disadvantages in comparison to products from lower-wage nations; but although the elimination of our FMW rate laws would be greatly detrimental to our nation’s net social and economic well-being, eliminating it would accomplish extremely little to remedy our products’ global price disadvantages. [Refer to Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article.]

I suppose most USA’s population, (significantly more than a 10% plurality) to some extent approve of federal minimum rate’s existence. There are few among wealthy or competent people that are opposed to the federal minimum rate.

A great proportion of minimum rate opponents lack self-esteem. They need whatever affirmation of their own worth that they can derive by being able to look down upon people experiencing lesser financial conditions. They cannot acknowledge even to themselves their fears of improving the financial conditions of others would consequentially reduce their own social status. That’s the essence of personal and political opposition to the FMW rate.

Respectfully, Supposn
I never once suggested eliminating the MW there is however no need to raise it to 15 an hour

there is not one MW job n this country that merits a salary of over 30K a year
nothing over one hundred million on the top end?

You assume that if some guy on the top makes less then you'll make more and you are , of course , wrong again

... How does the minimum wage impact someone making $9/hour? Or $11/hour?
ToddsterPatriot,
Political Chick, The minimum benchmark affects all wage rates but does not affect them all equally. ... I don't suppose you have ever carried wallboard, lifted it up to and affixed it to ceilings for an entire working day. (I've done so). ... Tasks such as construction clean up or doing the coffee run or working as a flagman on mild spring days at comparatively safer less polluted surroundings are not very demanding tasks are the tasks directly related to our discussion of the FMW rate. ...I'‘m a proponent of an annually cost of living adjusted minimum wage rate similar to the annually COLA'd Social Security benefits.
“Wage-differential”, (i.e. “compensation differential” or comparative wages)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compensating_differential
“the additional amount of income that a given worker must be offered in order to motivate them to accept a given undesirable job, relative to other jobs that worker could perform”.

So there is absolutely no concept that perhaps the workers were originally underpaid?

Have you given much thought to what that means? If you do, the first question you'll bump up against is "underpaid, according to whom?" Who decides what wage is high enough for a given job?

[Because the people whining for a 15 an hour MW have been bagging burgers for years without trying to get another job
people who get paid the federal minimum wage total a whopping 3% of the population
and that 3% includes tipped workers who might actually make significantly more than MW

What you want is increase in labor costs with no corresponding increase in production so you will have a cost increase multiplier happening across all sectors of the economy.

The federal minimum wage, (FMW) rate is of net social and economic benefit to our nation. It has never been among the major causes of the U.S. dollar’s inflation; on the contrary, it’s certainly among inflations’ victims.
No employees are poorer and no enterprises suffer any competitive disadvantage to any USA enterprises due to the FMW rate.

[there’s no doubt that USA’s higher wage rates are a cause of our products’ price disadvantages in comparison to products from lower-wage nations; but although the elimination of our FMW rate laws would be greatly detrimental to our nation’s net social and economic well-being, eliminating it would accomplish extremely little to remedy our products’ global price disadvantages. [Refer to Wikipedia’s “Import Certificates” article.]

I suppose most USA’s population, (significantly more than a 10% plurality) to some extent approve of federal minimum rate’s existence. There are few among wealthy or competent people that are opposed to the federal minimum rate.

A great proportion of minimum rate opponents lack self-esteem. They need whatever affirmation of their own worth that they can derive by being able to look down upon people experiencing lesser financial conditions. They cannot acknowledge even to themselves their fears of improving the financial conditions of others would consequentially reduce their own social status. That’s the essence of personal and political opposition to the FMW rate.

Respectfully, Supposn
I never once suggested eliminating the MW there is however no need to raise it to 15 an hour

You assume that if some guy on the top makes less then you'll make more and you are , of course , wrong again
zero for the poor, no limits for the rich. i got it, right wingers.

... The federal Minimum rate does not mandate that an employer hire, or retain any particular worker, or specify wage rates, but it is a legally enforceable minimum rate.
Plenty of damaging government regulations are enforceable. While still being stupid ideas.
Minimum wage is an issue of character.
The essence of personal and political opposition to the FMW rate.
… I suppose most USA’s population, (significantly more than a 10% plurality) to some extent approve of federal minimum rate’s existence. There are few among wealthy or competent people that are opposed to the federal minimum rate.

Respectfully, Supposn

I truly don't give a shit that you make minimum wage.
Your bad economic ideas are not improved by your low salary.

ToddsterPatriot,
Political Chick, The minimum benchmark affects all wage rates but does not affect them all equally. ... I don't suppose you have ever carried wallboard, lifted it up to and affixed it to ceilings for an entire working day. (I've done so). ... Tasks such as construction clean up or doing the coffee run or working as a flagman on mild spring days at comparatively safer less polluted surroundings are not very demanding tasks are the tasks directly related to our discussion of the FMW rate. ...I'‘m a proponent of an annually cost of living adjusted minimum wage rate similar to the annually COLA'd Social Security benefits.

“the additional amount of income that a given worker must be offered in order to motivate them to accept a given undesirable job, relative to other jobs that worker could perform”.

Thanks. For avoiding the question.

Tell me, do you really think that employers who currently are finding it difficult to
hire enough workers at minimum wage, or $9/hr, or $11/hr, or $12/hr are really
going to try hiring people at less than $7.25/hr if the Federal minimum wage is
eliminated tomorrow?

Respectfully, Supposn

No one gets paid zero for working, Idiot.

If you are able to work and choose not to then damn right you get zero

Tell me, do you really think that employers who currently are finding it difficult to
eliminated tomorrow?
ToddsterPatriot, the quote provided in post #83 is a true explicit response to your question. If you cannot understand Wikipedia's or my prose, I provided 3 phrases you can google to search for other explanations. I'm supposing you're pretending to be ignorant because the correct answers displease you.

If the federal minimum rate would be eliminated, I'd be surprised if employers would not obtain substantial numbers of people they could employ at wages of no more than the purchasing power of $3/Hr. in October 2018.

Respectfully, Supposn

eliminated tomorrow?
ToddsterPatriot, the quote provided in post #83 is a true explicit response to your question. If you cannot understand Wikipedia's or my prose, I provided 3 phrases you can google to search for other explanations. I'm supposing you're pretending to be ignorant because the correct answers displease you.

If the federal minimum rate would be eliminated, I'd be surprised if employers would not obtain substantial numbers of people they could employ at wages of no more than the purchasing power of $3/Hr. in October 2018.

Respectfully, Supposn

If the federal minimum rate would be eliminated, I'd be surprised if employers would not obtain substantial numbers of people they could employ at wages of no more than the purchasing power of $3/Hr.

They can't fill jobs now, but will suddenly fill them at $3?
This is why I can't take you seriously.

... Tell me, do you really think that employers who currently are finding it difficult to hire enough workers at minimum wage, or $9/hr, or $11/hr, or $12/hr are really
going to try hiring people at less than $7.25/hr if the Federal minimum wage is eliminated tomorrow?
... If the federal minimum rate would be eliminated, I'd be surprised if employers would not obtain substantial numbers of people they could employ at wages of no more than the purchasing power of $3/Hr. in October 2018. ...
... They can't fill jobs now, but will suddenly fill them at $3? This is why I can't take you seriously.
ToddsterPatriot, you're incorrect. If we were to eliminate the federal minimum rate, purchasing powers of ALL USA wages would be reduced to a drastic extent. Purchasing power of today's $3 would be extremely generous for unskilled labor. Our nation, and particularly our employees and their dependents, would be of course much poorer.

Respectfully, Supposn

ToddsterPatriot,

eliminated tomorrow?
sure; why move production overseas, otherwise.

... Tell me, do you really think that employers who currently are finding it difficult to hire enough workers at minimum wage, or $9/hr, or $11/hr, or $12/hr are really
going to try hiring people at less than $7.25/hr if the Federal minimum wage is eliminated tomorrow?
... If the federal minimum rate would be eliminated, I'd be surprised if employers would not obtain substantial numbers of people they could employ at wages of no more than the purchasing power of $3/Hr. in October 2018. ...
... They can't fill jobs now, but will suddenly fill them at $3? This is why I can't take you seriously.
ToddsterPatriot, you're incorrect. If we were to eliminate the federal minimum rate, purchasing powers of ALL USA wages would be reduced to a drastic extent. Purchasing power of today's $3 would be extremely generous for unskilled labor. Our nation, and particularly our employees and their dependents, would be of course much poorer.

Respectfully, Supposn

If we were to eliminate the federal minimum rate, purchasing powers of ALL USA wages would be reduced to a drastic extent.

Prove it.

Respectfully, Supposn

stop complaining about the cost of social services or raises for federal civilian workers.

Respectfully, Supposn

Interns and volunteers do. There ought to be a law!

Respectfully, Supposn

If we were to eliminate the federal minimum rate, purchasing powers of ALL USA wages would be reduced to a drastic extent.

Prove it.
moving to the less developed world for cheap labor, proves it.

I have mixed feelings on $15 minimum wage.

On the one hand, obviously it greatly helps the standard of living for those who get the huge wage increase.

On the other, a 100+% increase in pay with a zero increase in production is not good for business. Plus, the extra costs will be passed on to the customers.
Finally, the non-partisan CBO has stated that a higher minimum wage will cost many 100's of thousands of jobs nationwide. And that was only to $10.10 per hour.

The Effects of a Minimum-Wage Increase on Employment and Family Income | Congressional Budget Office

If the Dems take both houses in November (and especially if they also take the WH in 2020 - which the polls say looks likely right now)...this issue will probably re-surface in force.

Thoughts?

Yes thank goodness for the polls in 2016... if it wasn't for the polls we all know that Trump would be president right now instead of Hillary. Can you imagine if the polls were wrong and Trump actually became the president?

The minimum wage subject is a difficult
one especially for anyone who works hourly
For a living.

It's probably impossible to quantify with any measure of accuracy the exact capabilities of the American economy. Suffice it to say that even the American economy has finite limits.

Sometimes the only way to find out is to try something and see how it works on the measure of what is present.

It would seem to make some sense however that if you decrease productivity per dollar you're going to stifle the ability of the employers and producers to create more jobs. Additionally you will create a smaller pool of qualified employees leaving the others to languish on unemployment.

Jo

They just got a huge tax cut, but I know most never paid more than 12% or about that in taxes, now its probably even lower.

Trump and the GOP are trying their best to make this a slave country, and I'm talking a white, black and a hispanic slave country.

You have some really strange beliefs.

stop complaining about the cost of social services or raises for federal civilian workers.

Quote where I have done either of those things.

Interns and volunteers do. There ought to be a law!

Volunteer and interns CHOOSE to work for nothing.

Respectfully, Supposn

Prove it.
moving to the less developed world for cheap labor, proves it.

Correct... However it would stop that migration and return hundreds of thousands of jobs to the continent simply by virtue of shipping considerations.

Jo

New Topics

Forum List

Back