The 10 most segregated cities in America

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
And none of them are in the south:

We may think of segregation as a matter of ancient Southern history: lunch counter sit-ins, bus boycotts and Ku Klux Klan terrorism. But as the census numbers remind us, Northern cities have long had higher rates of segregation than in the South, where strict Jim Crow laws kept blacks closer to whites, but separate from them. Where you live has a big impact on the education you receive, the safety on your streets, and the social networks you can leverage.

The following is a list of the nation's most segregated metropolitan areas of over 500,000 people. The rankings are based on a dissimilarity index, a measure used by social scientists to gauge residential segregation. It reflects the number of people from one race -- in this case black or white -- who would have to move for races to be evenly distributed across a certain area. A score of 1 indicates perfect integration while 100 signals complete segregation.

Article: The 10 most segregated urban areas in America - War Room - Salon.com

Slideshow: The 10 most segregated urban areas in America | Slide Show - Salon.com

We may think of segregation as a matter of ancient Southern history: lunch counter sit-ins, bus boycotts and Ku Klux Klan terrorism. But as the census numbers remind us, Northern cities have long had higher rates of segregation than in the South, where strict Jim Crow laws kept blacks closer to whites, but separate from them. Where you live has a big impact on the education you receive, the safety on your streets, and the social networks you can leverage.

The following is a list of the nation's most segregated metropolitan areas of over 500,000 people. The rankings are based on a dissimilarity index, a measure used by social scientists to gauge residential segregation. It reflects the number of people from one race -- in this case black or white -- who would have to move for races to be evenly distributed across a certain area. A score of 1 indicates perfect integration while 100 signals complete segregation.

Slideshow: The 10 most segregated urban areas in America | Slide Show - Salon.com

Minorities are afraid to congerate in the south it makes them too easy of a target.

excellent find RM thx. There are some interesting blurbs in their to as to urban 'redevelopment' which demolished 'distressed' minority neighborhoods that never came back, that have not fulfilled the function the development was intended to.

there is I think, a political correlation to be had here as well...:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

Minorities are afraid to congerate in the south it makes them too easy of a target.

Swing and a miss.

Atlanta:
White: 43.1% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 40%)
Black or African American: 50.1%
Native American: 0.2%
Asian: 2.7%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: <0.1%
Some other race: 1.2%
Two or more races: 1.2%

Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 5.3%

Demographics of Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

800px-Most_common_ancestries_in_the_United_States.svg.png

Most common ancestries in each U.S. state, according to the 2000 U.S. Census.
Dark blue - German
Light blue/Aquamarine - African American
Orange - Mexican
Light Purple - Italian
Red - American
Dark Purple - English
Green - Irish
Yellow - Filipino
Fuchsia - Puerto Rican

Race and ethnicity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try again. Your theory is flawed.

excellent find RM thx. There are some interesting blurbs in their to as to urban 'redevelopment' which demolished 'distressed' minority neighborhoods that never came back, that have not fulfilled the function the development was intended to.

there is I think, a political correlation to be had here as well...:eusa_whistle:

Yup.

Whites will get blamed for the white flight. However, segregation in America is a 90% minority driven. White kids will get brutalized if they go to an all black school (even if the school is in a middle class black neighborhood). They can't survive. The reverse doesn't happen to black (or latino) kids at all white schools. In fact, black kids usually find easy acceptance at these schools.

Latino in LA are ethnically cleansing blacks from their barrios. White families can't make it in Latino neighborhoods, other than the harassment, they can't speak the language.

Swing and a miss.

Atlanta:

Dark blue - German
Orange - Mexican
Light Purple - Italian
Red - American
Dark Purple - English
Green - Irish
Yellow - Filipino
Fuchsia - Puerto Rican

On a side note, I like how Tennessee, Arkansas, West Virginia and Kentucky have just "American" as their main heritage.

I think thats census speak for "Y'all are a bunch of fucking inbreds!"....lol.

(no offense to anyone from those states, it just tickled my funnybone).

You're an ignorant man!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us/25south.html

Hell MLK sr. was calling NYC more racist than the south before the 64 Civil Rights Act was passed. And while there are still racists of every color down here Black women are increasingly seen as the lower cost, higher revenue alternative to mail order brides.

Decades of "Racial Pride" training and yet some people are actually surprised about the "self segregation"? How else could they think that happened? :confused:

I grew up in L.A. and was a little surprised to see it was #10. The cities in L.A. and Orange County are segregated by more than just Black and White but Asian and Hispanic as well. You can practically guess the racial makeup up the city by the amount of garbage in the streets and the run down housing. There are exceptions but that's generally the case.

White and Asian areas: Nice.
Black and Hispanic areas: Shit.

When I was a kid (late 60's through the 70's) we'd visit my grandparents in the San Gabriel/Rosemead area of L.A. where my dad grew up and it was heavily Hispanic and trashy. The last few times I've visited it's been cleaned up nicely by the Chinese who have practically taken over the two cities.

So it's gone from White to Hispanic and now Asian. So I don't really see that as "segregation" but actually part of the "natural order of things" I guess.

Last edited:
Blacks want to live among other Blacks, whites want to live among other whites.
I never believed in this "melting pot" bullcrap.!
People self segregate today, more than at any other time in American history.
We as black people don't need to live among white people to be successful!!
There are blacks in Atlanta that have all black upper class areas, with no whites, and they
prefer it that way.!!
Who needs to live around white people any way?!

Decades of "Racial Pride" training and yet some people are actually surprised about the "self segregation"? How else could they think that happened? :confused:

I grew up in L.A. and was a little surprised to see it was #10. The cities in L.A. and Orange County are segregated by more than just Black and White but Asian and Hispanic as well. You can practically guess the racial makeup up the city by the amount of garbage in the streets and the run down housing. There are exceptions but that's generally the case.

White and Asian areas: Nice.
Black and Hispanic areas: Shit.

When I was a kid (late 60's through the 70's) we'd visit my grandparents in the San Gabriel/Rosemead area of L.A. where my dad grew up and it was heavily Hispanic and trashy. The last few times I've visited it's been cleaned up nicely by the Chinese who have practically taken over the two cities.

So it's gone from White to Hispanic and now Asian. So I don't really see that as "segregation" but actually part of the "natural order of things" I guess.

you racist bastard!!!:eek:

Swing and a miss.

Atlanta:

Dark blue - German
Orange - Mexican
Light Purple - Italian
Red - American
Dark Purple - English
Green - Irish
Yellow - Filipino
Fuchsia - Puerto Rican

On a side note, I like how Tennessee, Arkansas, West Virginia and Kentucky have just "American" as their main heritage.

And yet among the ten most segregated cities, you don't find a single one located in the 'racist' south. I think that is really interesting. :)

Swing and a miss.

Atlanta:

Dark blue - German
Orange - Mexican
Light Purple - Italian
Red - American
Dark Purple - English
Green - Irish
Yellow - Filipino
Fuchsia - Puerto Rican

And yet among the ten most segregated cities, you don't find a single one located in the 'racist' south. I think that is really interesting. :)

Yup, very interesting.

Technically, 'American' is not an ancestry.

Everyone living here is an ancestor of some migrant. The only question is how far back in time we need go to determine where our ancestors came from.

Everyone living here is an ancestor of some migrant. The only question is how far back in time we need go to determine where our ancestors came from.

I know. Thats why it struck my funnybone.

Census taker: "We don't know WHAT the fuck you guys are".

I know. Thats why it struck my funnybone.

Census taker: "We don't know WHAT the fuck you guys are".

In 1980 I earned money for college by being a door to door census taker in the summer.

I would have liked to have had a 'WTF' box to check.

Simple my last four generations ancestors were American, that is all I care about, in determining my background!

Simple my last four generations ancestors were American, that is all I care about, in determining my background!

If German, French, English, and Irish can be 'ancestry', then why can't "American" be ancestry?

Forum List

Back