The 1% are doing really, really well!

I think everyone would be better off concentrating on what we can do to improve the situation for the unemployed and lower income folks and stop pissing and moaning about the uber rich. Say you don't extend the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1%ers, what do you get? 70-80 billion in more tax revenue? If that? How far is that going to go helping out the tens of millions on the other end of the income spectrum? And don't think there are no unintended consequences to such a tax hike on the same people who provide most of the investment capital; economic growth is curtailed, there's no 2 ways about it.

Say you don't extend the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1%ers, what do you get? 70-80 billion in more tax revenue? If that? How far is that going to go helping out the tens of millions on the other end of the income spectrum?

I cannot imagine a worse message to send about the equitability of the tax code. There are so many poor people that you might as well just let the super-rich get super-richer?

I have to admit, this is the mentality that Mitt Romney will bring to the Oval Office.

Say you don't extend the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1%ers, what do you get? 70-80 billion in more tax revenue? If that? How far is that going to go helping out the tens of millions on the other end of the income spectrum?

I cannot imagine a worse message to send about the equitability of the tax code. There are so many poor people that you might as well just let the super-rich get super-richer?

I have to admit, this is the mentality that Mitt Romney will bring to the Oval Office.

Well, I guess you won't like this either: my mentality is that you get to keep as much of what you earn as possible, supporting gov't only in the functions it is mandated to do under the constitution. Which does not include ANY of the entitlement programs.

Well, I guess you won't like this either: my mentality is that you get to keep as much of what you earn as possible, supporting gov't only in the functions it is mandated to do under the constitution. Which does not include ANY of the entitlement programs.

And so you believe that the super-rich are less obligated to contribute to the funding of government entitlement programs than the middle class are?

I don't understand why taxes should be voluntary for the rich? It seems outright unpatriotic to me that a guy like Mitt Romeny would insist that he shouldn't have to pay his fair share of taxes.

Why wouldn't the super-rich simply enthusiatically volunteer to pay more in taxes to help the country that has given them so much?

And so you believe that the super-rich are less obligated to contribute to the funding of government entitlement programs than the middle class are?

I don't understand why taxes should be voluntary for the rich? It seems outright unpatriotic to me that a guy like Mitt Romeny would insist that he shouldn't have to pay his fair share of taxes.

Why wouldn't the super-rich simply enthusiatically volunteer to pay more in taxes to help the country that has given them so much?

Didn't say anything about voluntary taxes, every American should pay taxes to pay for the legitimate gov't functions it must perform. IMHO, the entitlement programs do not fall under that category. If the rich guys VOLUNTEER to pay more, that's fine. Mandating it though is another issue, which is what you guys want to do.

Didn't say anything about voluntary taxes, every American should pay taxes to pay for the legitimate gov't functions it must perform. IMHO, the entitlement programs do not fall under that category. If the rich guys VOLUNTEER to pay more, that's fine. Mandating it though is another issue, which is what you guys want to do.

The middle class is mandated to pay taxes. The rich seem to simply choose to pay a tax if they believe it's beneficial from a profit perspective to do so. It would seem to be all about structuring their compensation in a way that best exploits the tax code.

And they probably feel, like you, that they shouldn't be the ones who have to pay taxes because they probably feel, like you, that they know more about what is and is not a legitimate function of government than this Supreme Court or any of the Supreme Courts that have come before it. The rich feel that they and they alone know how the government should spend the taxes they pay and if they don't like the way the government does it then they feel not at all bad about simply choosing not to pay taxes.

In the meantime the country sinks and middle class pays for it all.

I would consider this generation's rich to be profoundly arrogant and unpatriotic. Why doesn't Mitt Romney just pay his fair share for the good of his country? Joe Smith knows he can afford it!

I'm informed that the meltdown in RE caused the American working class to lose about $9.5 trillion dollars (so far, it sain't over yet) in REAL ESTATE EQUITY.

Meanwhile the uberwealty are getting richer by comparison AND in absolute terms too.

This is to be expected in a land that worships capital and dispises labor.

This is to be expected in a land that has consistently granted every economic advantage to BIG CAPITAL and manipulated the costs for such policies to be distributed to the working classes.

The uberwealthy are not getting welatier because of any efficiencies they have created, nor because of any brilliance on their part.

They are getting weathier because in a capitalism like we have created nothing succeeds like success.

They are getting weathier because in a capitalism like we have created nothing succeeds like success.

It's a forgone conclusion. People like to talk about the rags to riches, stories. I do. But the hard reality is that it usually goes riches to more riches.

You take a guy like Mitt. Educated in the best private high schools, a JD and MBA from Harvard..... incredible opportunities due to his father's political connections.

It's not a suprise that he makes hundreds of millions a year. I guess I would sound only envious if I were to fault him for that, so I won't. I just don't get why he thinks its okay that he pays a lower effective tax rate than the middle-class he expects to vote for him.

It's hard for me to imagine a candidate who more embodies a of-the-rich, by-the-rich, for-the-rich mentality than Mitt. Bush 43 wasn't even quite this bad. The other super-rich Presidents that we have had have largely been considered men of the people who had principled tenure in office. Mitt seems to think that America is one big Staples and he can turn around the company like he turned around that office supply store and he can make himself and his friends richer than I-don't-know-who by doing it.

the 1% are doing well

they pay 40% of all federal taxes. How fair is that? No other country depends on them like we do. Conservatives want to be like them and do the great things they do while liberals want to steal from them at the point of a gun.

Guess who is disgusting?

Forum List

Back